When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Authentic Antique Omega SeaMaster for $100?

Wiss

So here is the short story. I was talking to my neighbor about watches when he said he has one from his Dad that he was going to sell on eBay. He digs out of a box in his garage and pulls out an Omega SeaMaster and says he thinks he can get $200 for it.

I have always liked the look of the antique watches and offered him $100 on the spot. After a little talking, the deal was done and it now has a new owner. It runs fine but I did not wind it much than just to see if it works, (as I suspect it is dry as a bone).

I took it to my watch smith and he valued it at $2,000 on the cleaning invoice. Who is right? :huh:

Apologies for the bad pictures...

post-6799-1192827445_thumb.jpg

post-6799-1192830448_thumb.jpg

post-6799-1192830457_thumb.jpg

Is it worth:

$100

$200

$2,000

I think for $100 I got a good deal as I suspect it is authentic. Add to it $125 for oil and cleaning so I am now into it for $225

A nice vintage Seamaster. Timeless silver dial. It looks well used though. :)

As for value, there are quite a few of these on eBay, a search there will give some indications of value.

The watch smith who gave you the 2000 USD value is quite far out.

many watchsmiths will try to rip you off for restoration. They see that its a name brand and they give you a quote that is 4 to 5 times the real restoration price.

Service of that watch would be around $150 - I think it may be the Omega 5XX movement series. The acrylic crystal, as long as there isn't any cracks, you can buff that clean to look new.

Is it worth:

$100

$200

$2,000

I have a 1975ish Omega Seamaster with day-date, silver dial which I bought on ebay for about $300, delivered. I had it serviced by my watchsmith here (Houston) for $90, including a $25 part they replaced.

I will be going back into ebay for a 1965ish plaiin silver dial Omega Seamaster. I expect to pay something in the $200-300 range on ebay, including bracelet or strap, delivered. Yours seems likely to he a very early version ... perhaps in the late 50s. If you get the serial number off the case you can go to the Omega site and probably find the year in which it was made.

You have a gem! Enjoy it.

"This kind of Omega"???

As stated, anything is possible on eBay... however what is NOT established is WHICH KIND of Seamaster this particular watch is, but the pics have established that it isn't a "Square-cased" one from the 70's... which you can find as cheap as $50 on the bay....

A note from the watchmaker that serviced it, as to which movement it contains, would go toward establishing a more accurate guess-timate.

If it is a 354 swan-neck regulated bumper, you've got a great deal, anything later, a decent bargain..

It is a very nice vintage Omega and it is worth what someone will pay for it.

I would be happy to buy it from you for $300 however someone will possibly offer more.

But now you know that you have done well!

Carl