When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ever been to an AD and showed off your rep without being called on your Rep?

guanaco

Well, I'd like to read some of you guys who've gone to an AD and showed off your rep without being called on your rep.

I'll start:

Yesterday I went to an AD who sells Omegas, Bvlgaris, etc. Nothing fancy ;). And this guy was looking at some PO's. As I was minding my own business looking at the Bvlgaris I just her "See that guy? he's wearing the big 45mm version of the PO" I was like 'wtf?' :blink: ... I just turned around and smiled and to my horror I hear the guy calling me "Sir, would you be so kind and show this gentleman here your PO?" I was like.. ''sureeee... :unsure: .

I showed him the watch on my wrist and asked me if I could take it off, etc. Like a guy waiting to be shot at, I was waiting with a worried smile while he looked at my watch on his wrist while looking at the gens on the glass display, just then, he tells me: "beautiful watch, I will definitely be taking one" I was like: :1a::thumbsupsmileyanim: ... I left so friggin' happy!

Later I just wanted to kick myself for doing that, I should've just told them I had to go :black_eye:

Anone else would like to share their stories? :)

Edited by guanaco

Later I just wanted to kick myself for doing that, I should've just told them I had to go :black_eye:

OOH! I remember By-Tor being really angry on RWI, asking people never to do this. I didn't go to an AD, but I have been several times to various watchshops in SoFla. No one has ever called me out, out of kindness or just because they don't know Panerais.

I mean, I'm not dumb though, Guanaco. I would go with a PO to a watchshop, but never that faux HBB in Yellow Gold or anything in bling. Too obvious.

Anone else would like to share their stories? :)

There have been some good ones before!

How about plaifender going inside an AD in Madrid and being treated like a millionaire (that was such a sweet story; he seemed genuinely amazed at the treatment)?

But I also remember a guy who went to a Barbecue, and some a-hole jewelry shop owner called out his Breitling for Bentley watch, first spreading rumours with the other guests that it was a rep. *shiver*

@LordRasta: That was precisely By-Tor's argument. The watchsmith who worked on my DSN Fiddy crown fix flat out asked me where I had gotten it. That he really wanted one too. Wild horses wouldn't have dragged it out of me. I gave him a half-way true story that it's a professional who'd rather keep his clientele small, invitation-only. That pretty much describes TWP and his VIP-only forum here...

yeah i usually leave my watch in my car... except for my DRSD. I showed to my my AD rolex friend and he was like where the hell did you get this?!?!?! He was convinced it was all gen except for a movement and bracelet swap LOL. He said it was probably a flooded watch with a replacement ETA movement. I told him what it was and he said he has heard of these crazy frankens but had never seen one with the corrrect 1665 case. They usually get datejusts frankens but nothing this fancy. He even wanted to buy it but i said no way!

Guest watchbuff

I walked into Tourneau to pick up my sister's watch from a cleaning and the salesman liked my classic style Rolex Frankenjust. I have no issues with that one because it's all gen except on the inside. Does that make it a rep or a "hybrid">? I wonder.

If he opened the case(to which he had no reason to) then the jig is up. A good rep, a really good rep, like my modded BR 01-92 should be prudly displayed, as long as it does not go under a oupe ( My watches never been scrutinized that closely)

My IWC Ingenieur passed with flying colors at Tourneau in Chicago. The were doing everything except shining my shoes. I think my Ingy was the best one out of the box that I'd seen. Great AR, datefont, and dial. Sold it ^_^

I ususally don't do stuff like that. It was a whim.

Vince that's really funny..I cant wait to flaunt my franken when its done =) I was at the Tourneau on west 34th a month back wearing my nicest brooks brothers suite with my ss daytona tucked in, I also had my fathers gen datejust prez in hand and as I go to hand him my fathers DJ the daytona was slowly unveiled from beneath the sleeve - "That's a heck of a watch your wearing, there's close to a 4 year wait list for that here, may I ask were you found that beauty?" and I just said "On the internet" and quickly redirected the conversation to showing him what was wrong with the datejust...After explaining the problem to him, he of course asked if I wanted to take a look at a few new watches...I really really wanted too, but I didn't want to risk the integrity of my "real daytona" by taking it off on the counter so I said I was in a rush and left after a few minutes of window shopping...I'm sure since he saw a real DJ in front of him he assumed that the daytona was in fact real too. And why jeopardize a potential sale over an uncertainty or a callout? My theory is that the watch doesn't matter fake or real, it's who wears it! Anyways, so thats the only AD encounter I have had but it was certainly an unforgettable one..

Edited by UB7