When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your Favourite Soccer Goals

Victoria

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this has been posted yet.. and I frankly don't care.. It's worth watching again and again. :)

The famous Roberto Carlos bender!

(One of the few reasons why he was so highly rated, in fact, overrated, IMHO. I detest RC)

Do you know, Apey, that this famous goal so mesmerised the French imagination that they actually analysed it and came out with an university study of its dynamics -- trajectory, etc.?

That's respect. ;)

But France needn't worry. They have owned Brazil since the mid-80s...

(One of the few reasons why he was so highly rated, in fact, overrated, IMHO. I detest RC)
Hmmm, I agree that free kick made his reputation, one he lived off for ever more. But "detest"??? :blink:

Carlos totally redefined the position of LB, with his marauding attacking runs. A breath of fresh air, despite the purists' sneers about lack of defensive cover. He also served Real through the good times and the bad (11 years!), and by all accounts was a very decent guy, never playing up his Galactico status always making time for junior players and staff. I actually felt sorry for him that the Beckham leaving circus overshadowed his own departure last June.

The famous Roberto Carlos bender!

Do you know, Apey, that this famous goal so mesmerised the French imagination that they actually analysed it and came out with an university study of its dynamics -- trajectory, etc.?

That's respect. ;)

But France needn't worry. They have owned Brazil since the mid-80s...

I do not know what what would make you detest a footballer like Carlos. I must admit I do not know much about the man outside his footballing abilities, but I have always thought of him as a smiling and fair playing guy.

I first took notice of him when he was playing for Inter, and however much you detest him and think him overrated, I regard him as one of the best left backs to play the game since I took interest in it. :)

Roberto Carlos Goals

Hmmm, I agree that free kick made his reputation, one he he lived off for ever more. But "detest"??? :blink:

Footbalisticamente, I hasten to add. ;)

As if the Real Madrid thing wasn't enough, he's also what they call in Brazilian Portuguese, "mascarado" = beyond stuck-up.

Carlos totally redefined the position of LB, with his marauding attacking runs. A breath of fresh air, despite the purists' sneers about lack of defensive cover. He also served Real through the good times and the bad (11 years!), and by all accounts was a very decent guy, never playing up his Galactico status always making time for junior players and staff. I actually felt sorry for him that the Beckham leaving circus overshadowed his own departure last June.

You heard wrongly about him. He's amongst the most unsavoury, unusual Brazilians I've personally ever met, or ever heard of.

I could understand Rivaldo's lack of friendliness, because it was in part due to his embarrassment of having false teeth having had his fall out due to malnourishment as a kid, but Roberto Carlos is vain, and arrogant to the point of narcissicism. Blech.

Agree in theory with your analysis of his position at RM though. But in practise, he often left gaping holes which others had to fill, often unsuccessfully.

I think the British media liked him and gave him good press because the England team have long had a wet dream of a left-back such as himself. We have no one in that position who is really effective...not Ashley Cole, not Wayne Bridge, not Gareth Barry (heh) could match the dynamism of a player like Roberto Carlos.

I do not know what what would make you detest a footballer like Carlos. I must admit I do not know much about the man outside his footballing abilities, but I have always thought of him as a smiling and fair playing guy.

BTW, Carlos for Roberto Carlos is one of my personal DEEPEST pet peeves.

It's like, to use a Norwegian analogy, calling Ole-Gunnar Solskjaer, "Gunnar"...

Again, due to my father's Brazil team obsession, and my having lived in Brazil, I have followed his career from the Brazilian media not the fawning writings of Marca from Spain, or the favourable impression given him by British media.

Everyone who has ever seen him play in the WC qualifiers for Brazil knows he's an "expertinho" (loosely, a wiseguy who pretends one thing, but in reality is dirty).

The last sight Brazilians have of him is his infamous "Mei

As if the Real Madrid thing wasn't enough, he's also what they call in Brazilian Portuguese, "mascarado" = beyond stuck-up.You heard wrongly about him. He's amongst the most unsavoury, unusual Brazilians I've personally ever met, or ever heard of.

I could understand Rivaldo's lack of friendliness, because it was in part due to his embarrassment of having false teeth having had his fall out due to malnourishment as a kid, but Roberto Carlos is vain, and arrogant to the point of narcissicism. Blech.

Wow, someone has a problem methinks :o

So which is it then, met him or heard of him? If former, maybe he just took an instant dislike to you? It IS possible you know. Frankly I don't care either way, as I don't buy it. I can name you a hundred more unsavoury characters in the game, and Roberto Carlos would not even be close to them. Overrated, vain, arrogant, narcissistic? If he managed that next to Beckham, he deserves a medal :lol:

Rivaldo? Pfff, a despicable cheat. Explain that one away.

Wow, someone has a problem methinks :o

So which is it then, met him or heard of him? If former, maybe he just took an instant dislike to you? It IS possible you know.

Want to know? Okay here goes. Had dinner with members of the Brazil National Team when they came for a tournament at the Orange Bowl (they were staying at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables. We were amongst about a dozen people asked to the dinner; another guest was Emerson Fittipaldi, as an aside). Reason being is that my father is close friends with the long-time Brazil physiotherapist/doctor, whom he's known since the 1960s.

My father may be the only one outside of the Brazil XI in WC 1998 that knows what really went on with the "Ronaldo" thing, since it involved his buddy in a key role, and if I can't get it out of him, no one can. OTOH, if he told one person, the doc might've told others but each person swore a pact not to reveal what really happened.

You asked.

Ask me about the Paraguay team, the Argentina team, the Japan team, and I couldn't tell you squat about them. But about the Brazil National Side, gang way.

Frankly I don't care either way, as I don't buy it. I can name you a hundred more unsavoury characters in the game, and Roberto Carlos would not even be close to them.

BTW, he's one of the least liked teammates in the side. Juninho Paulista (long considered the most easy-going of the guys on that team, other than Ronaldo if you can believe that) and he loathe each other.

Overrated, vain, arrogant, narcissistic? If he managed that next to Beckham, he deserves a medal :lol:

Beckham is a powderpuff, who has limited brains to go with ripped abs. By all accounts, though, he's a really down-to-earth chap, ready with a smile.

That doesn't make his narcissicism any the less annoying, but actually, it raises him in my eyes since instead of intellectualising his attraction to other people, he comprehended it instinctively. And cashed on it big time.

Good for him. Loved the way he went from goat to hero after WC 1998, so I don't hold his stardom against him.

Rivaldo? Pfff, a despicable cheat. Explain that one away.

You won't get an argument out of me. Strange, I know, but true. :p

Had dinner with members of the Brazil National Team when they came for a tournament at the Orange Bowl (they were staying at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables. We were amongst about a dozen people asked to the dinner; another guest was Emerson Fittipaldi, as an aside). Reason being is that my father is close friends with the long-time Brazil physiotherapist/doctor, whom he's known since the 1960s. My father may be the only one outside of the Brazil XI in WC 1998 that knows what really went on with the "Ronaldo" thing, since it involved his buddy in a key role, and if I can't get it out of him, no one can. OTOH, if he told one person, the doc might've told others but each person swore a pact not to reveal what really happened.
I still don't see what this has to do with RC being an unpleasant little git, but since you mention it, the "Ronaldo World Cup Final Mystery" is hardly who shot JFK now is it? ;)

Finally team doctor Lidio Toledo revealed the striker had been rushed to hospital after suffering a convulsion in his sleep but cleared to play after neurological and cardiac tests. "We lost the World Cup but I won another cup - my life," Ronaldo later reflected. "I don't remember what happened but I went to sleep and, like the doctor said, it seems I had a fit for about 30 or 40 seconds." The most dramatic account came from Ronaldo's roommate Roberto Carlos.He said: "Ronaldo was scared about what lay ahead. The pressure had got to him and he couldn't stop crying. "If anything, it got worse because, at about four o'clock, he started being sick. That's when I called the team doctor and told him to get over to our room as fast as he could." The Brazilian media demanded to know why Ronaldo had been allowed to play when his mind was clearly not on the game. Team officials said he had been taken to hospital during the afternoon and his place in the team had been given to Edmundo. When Zagalo addressed his side in the hotel he had reminded his players about 1962, when Brazil won the World Cup without the injured Pele. But Ronaldo had later arrived at the Stade de France and declared himself fit to play. Zagalo said after the game: "I kept thinking about taking him off. "But he said he felt well enough to play and if I had not played Ronaldo after he said he was fit, I'd have been under even more criticism." There were claims that team sponsors Nike had put pressure on Zagalo to play him. These were hotly denied. The Ronaldo affair even resurfaced last year at a congressional inquiry into the finances of Brazilian football. The player was called to give evidence, insisting the decision to play in the final had been entirely his own. He was also asked whether it had been his job to mark Zidane at corners. Ronaldo could not remember, but added with a smile that whoever it was had not done their job very well.

Seems fairly clear cut to me.

BTW, he's one of the least liked teammates in the side. Juninho Paulista (long considered the most easy-going of the guys on that team, other than Ronaldo if you can believe that) and he loathe each other.
Ooh a player that doesn't get on with his teammate(s), not exactly damning evidence is it? I know for a fact that van Nistelrooy was despised by almost all his Scum teammates and isn't Mr Popular in Madrid either. Ditto Cristiano Ronaldo.

Anyway, Roberto Carlos has retired from international football hasn't he? About time. Hopefully Fabio Aurelio will get his chance at LB, and trust me on this, he's one of the nicest, most humble, down to earth guys you could hope to meet. Also, surely can't be long before Lucas Leiva makes his debut in the gold shirt. Thoughts?

Wow. Never thought you'd be one of those people who would fall for "official statements" like that.

DBR, you asked, I answered as best I could. I think we're done.

Not quite. So I'm some dumb sheep now am I? :brow: What, you think I should ramble on about some nutty conspiracy theory instead?? Frankly I couldn't give a Brazilian overbite what "really happened that night"....all I know is that Brazil choked (not for the first or, indeed, last time), didn't mark Zidane on corners and France were worthy winners. Anything else is immaterial.

I also found it astonishing at all the flak Ronaldo got in Germany 2006 about his 'bulk', when it was obvious he had some form of metabolic disorder. Unexplained weight gain and reduced physical stamina in a professional athlete? Duhhhh. That it took a further 18 months for (eventually Milan's) doctors to check this and diagnose hypothyroidism beggars belief. Or maybe there were some other 'dark forces' at work? :whistling:

Not quite. So I'm some dumb sheep now am I? :brow:

I don't know. I'd like to think not. I'm sure not. But that was the equivalent of me citing the Hutton Inquiry, and asking you to believe everything there as fact.

What, you think I should ramble on about some nutty conspiracy theory instead?? Frankly I couldn't give a Brazilian overbite what "really happened that night"....all I know is that Brazil choked (not for the first or, indeed, last time), didn't mark Zidane on corners and France were worthy winners. Anything else is immaterial.

It's difficult to know how to respond to you.

You ask how a player is, after someone has come down heavily about his personality, never having met him yourself. You encounter a person with first-hand knowledge, when prompted about how she knows that, and you dismiss it or look on askance about it.

If you asked me about Zlatan, about Cristiano Ronaldo, about Landon Donovan, I couldn't tell you a thing about their personalities.

But here you are, hearing about someone who met the core group of players of the Brazil National Side (and their families) on many occasions, at times with great informality, with a long family tradition of acquaintanceship with their national side. What else can one say?

I don't know. I'd like to think not. I'm sure not. But that was the equivalent of me citing the Hutton Inquiry, and asking you to believe everything there as fact.

It's difficult to know how to respond to you.

You ask how a player is, after someone has come down heavily about his personality, never having met him yourself. You encounter a person with first-hand knowledge, when prompted about how she knows that, and you dismiss it or look on askance about it.

If you asked me about Zlatan, about Cristiano Ronaldo, about Landon Donovan, I couldn't tell you a thing about their personalities.

But here you are, hearing about someone who met the core group of players of the Brazil National Side (and their families) on many occasions, at times with great informality, with a long family tradition of acquaintanceship with their national side. What else can one say?

Didn't take long for this to get a little tetchy did it?! I think you've lost the plot a little here VB. :blink:

You say RC is an unpleasant fellow. Ape and I both disagreed strongly. So I ask for your personal experience as evidence. You say you met him in Florida at a promotional dinner at which your family were invited. Yet you offer no insight as to exactly why you consider him an obnoxious little gimp.

You then change tack completely and refer to the Great Ronaldo '98 mystery instead. When I don't fawn in wide-eyed awe of such "inside knowledge" instead stating that official line or not (and there is nothing else in the public domain) , it's largely irrelevant, you insult me. Nice. <_<

I was curious about RC nothing more, given your "extreme" opinion. But if you're like this, I'll happily go back to being indifferent on the subject.

A Scouser behaving like a prat towards a lady? Surely not!

:rolleyes:

As you'll find out, VB is more than capable of standing up for herself and doesn't need a mock chivalrous gimp to defend her 'honour'.

Funny isn't it, as your continual and petty annoying barbs on the other CL thread show, you're just totally incapable of having decent rival banter without resorting to cheap jibes. Ape and I get on very well and 'understand' each other. Even Edge (who you don't probably remember but his guides are pinned up everywhere) was a Chav supporter and we all had a good laugh last year with the Prize Pool.

You and I, we've talked mutual interest in Los Che and I've already paid you kudos for being old school Chelsea but it clearly hasn't taken. Prejudices are hard-wired I guess. Seems you've more than successfully grasped the new-found ethos of some of the more unsavoury elements of your club. Congratulations. How much did you get for your soul, by the way? Hope it was worth it.

VB - if you think I'm out of order then please say so, and like always we'll mutually apologise, agree to disagree and then get back OT with some classic goal action :tu:

I was curious about RC nothing more, given your "extreme" opinion. But if you're like this, I'll happily go back to being indifferent on the subject.

For the record, it wasn't a promotional dinner.

It was a dinner given by the Brazilian Consulate, to which Mario Zagallo had veto over the guest list, and several people were invited who live in South Florida, because he grew up with them or knew him. My father having been one, need I mention. They were at Catholic boys school together in Rio, although Zagallo was obviously older. BTW, Zagallo is a very nice person. VERY nice.

When I say all this, I am aware that I am letting go of a confidence which if my parents knew I was spewing on a rep watch forum, they would be extremely disappointed in me.

For example, there is a member of the WC 1994 Brazil side who almost everyone here who is a football fan knows by name. He and his wife invited my parents and I to their lovely home in Rio, and we had a pleasant time together, with mutual friends.

But actually, you know, he's very arrogant, and his wife is worse. She's impossible, and treats her servants like mud. How can you expect me to actually give you anecdotes about this without betraying the kindness he and his wife gave us in their home?

I can't. I'm not a journalist who can pretend to turn off my acquaintanceship to broadcast my opinions of people, based on specific encounters.

That's why I went with Brazilian media at first. Then I got into hot water in the thread because you will not give up, even with the slightest point, and I had to come up with the goods.

Half-way writing it, I erased what I witnessed, since it was a step too far.

I guess this is a lesson for me. When I give you a reason, I'll just say it's an opinion and leave it at that, DBR. Sorry.