When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 7750 - How Many Problems Are There Really?

Admin

I've been reading many posts over the last couple of years regarding the real 7750 vs the asian 7750/improved asian 7750. I don't know how many people who actually got these in their watches, but I'm really curious about one thing. How many people have really had any problems with the asian 7750's? The reason I'm asking is that I have several watches with the 7750 movement in them (asian) and I've never had any problems with any of them. I even have some of the first versions in one of my Daytonas and no problems with that either. I've never taken any precautions in the use of these watches (hey! It's only a replica, right) so I use the chronograph when I want to use the chrongraph, and still no problems.

So I would like to hear opinions on these movements from people who actually got experiences with them. There seems to be a lot of people who make posts about not wanting to buy a watch with these movements because they have heard so many bad things about them.

Are the movememnts really bad or is it only the members that have received faulty movements that post about it?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if I was going to buy one (again) I would go with the serviced one Joshua is offering since the bad reports always seem to relate to lack of proper lubrication or some such service issue.

I only have one Asian 7750 as I always go with Swiss if possible, and that one has been no problems at all - running in my watch box with occasional wear about six months.

Bill

Of all the watches I've rec'd with 7750 B1's, the only ones that were really problematic were the modified versions for the Daytonas with running seconds at 6:00. Had a number of them that wouldn't run properly with rotor or manual winding, problems with subsidiaries resetting correctly, etc.

Seems that the success to failure ratio for me is 50/50.

Dear friends,

There is really nothing bad about the Asian 7750 movement. Many people who buy them do not know how to operate them properly and in the end when the watch decides to crank out, they blame on us for not checking watch, watch was defective from start..blah blah blah. =P

Just follow these simple rules and your Asia 7750 (whether NEW or OLD) movement will always be there for you.

Rule 1: If you ever depress the pusher to start Chrono, always let it run for at least 15 seconds before you depress same pusher to stop it.

Rule 2: Do not depress the pusher for reset if you did not even start the chrono

Rule 3: Do not depress the pusher for reset if the Chrono is running. You should only do that after you have depress the pusher to STOP the chrono first..then you proceed to reset it

Rule 4: If you need to change DATE , please adjust time to 4:30 before you adjust the date. Pull the screw crown out lightly twice..adjust time to 4:30 and then push it back lightly once and adjust the DATE. If not, the gears will TANGO and your movement will start to feel cranky

Rule 5: Do not meddle with the internals if you are not The Zigmeister... It needs an expert to get those internals out...

Well... Follow the 5 commandments...

Ciao

Andrew

The kid in the back of the room has a question please.

It has been over a year since the new, improved Asian 7750 was first released.

The Master The Zigmeister Zumba himself has proclaimed this movement worthy of veneration.

Saying that it is superior to it's predecessor is then a given.

...and the question is...

Why do we not see more products available with this new, improved Asian 7750?

Dear friends,

There is really nothing bad about the Asian 7750 movement. Many people who buy them do not know how to operate them properly and in the end when the watch decides to crank out, they blame on us for not checking watch, watch was defective from start..blah blah blah. =P

Just follow these simple rules and your Asia 7750 (whether NEW or OLD) movement will always be there for you.

Rule 1: If you ever depress the pusher to start Chrono, always let it run for at least 15 seconds before you depress same pusher to stop it.

Rule 2: Do not depress the pusher for reset if you did not even start the chrono

Rule 3: Do not depress the pusher for reset if the Chrono is running. You should only do that after you have depress the pusher to STOP the chrono first..then you proceed to reset it

Rule 4: If you need to change DATE , please adjust time to 4:30 before you adjust the date. Pull the screw crown out lightly twice..adjust time to 4:30 and then push it back lightly once and adjust the DATE. If not, the gears will TANGO and your movement will start to feel cranky

Rule 5: Do not meddle with the internals if you are not The Zigmeister... It needs an expert to get those internals out...

Pretty much standard practice, even with the Swiss VJ 7750. I don't know why the VJ and ETA movements are so sensitive to date change, but they recommend not changing the date within the 4 hour window of midnight.

I am happy to see this thread. I have been reading the posts panning the asian 7750 and then reading the posts mentioning the modified versions. I think there are too many " I have heard from...." posts regarding failures of this movement, without actually experiencing the failure.

Thomas-

I have to completely disagree on the old Asians. If yours worked fine, you are lucky. I ran a poll at old RWG specifically on the first generation Asian 7750. If I remember correctly there were more than 120 separate respondents. I can no longer get on to RWGI but here were the rough results. 10-15% didn't work properly out of the box, 25% had a problem within 3 months or less and 50% within 6 months. That is not to say that 100% had problems but rather that if you bought a watch with that movement there was a 50% chance that you're watch was now a paper weight within the first six months absent an expensive service. When they first came out on the PAM 196 which I think was the biggest seller with this movement at that time Ziggy was inundated with them. Over several months he got dozens of them. The quality control was absolute crap and he posted to this effect. He even showed several in minute detail as to why they were so poorly constructed. Ultimately, he stopped taking them for quite a period of time. You couldn't pay him to work on them and this is someone who routinely works and rebuilds fabulous complex vintage movements. But I have to say that he never said it was a bad movement - just no quality control. I am told that the movement has a better track record in non-chrono watches.

From personal experience, I have had three with chrono functions. I know all the rules of engagement on 7750's and own gens with this and the 7753 movement. Two crapped out and were replaced with Swiss 7750's as the cost of repair was not that much lower than buying the new movement. The third resides on my $800 187. Already the chrono hands don't reset properly but I am hoping it simply requires gluing the hands. And I am not the only one on the 187. It uses the old 7750 which is why people should either wait for the 7753 or add $200 to the cost for new Swiss movement.

If anyone can get onto old RWG they should dig up the survey. I was wondering if I was the only one with bad luck back then and so I collected data. ALL THESE COMMENTS RELATE ONLY TO THE OLD 7750. I do not own any new 7750's and the poll did not cover them.

Alternatively, someone can rerun the survey. The original survey was meant to take the subjectivity out of it by specifiying several intervals where the watch was still running properly. The final category was still running fine after 6 months and that was less than 50% of the respondents.

You tell me. :)

I have had a few good ones, and have repaired dozens. Then again... that compares to 40-50 ETA 2824/36..... Tha asian 7750 seems to be as good as the valjoux/ETA 7750... considering they are ~300$ price difference....

Any movement can have troubles.....

With the 7750 asian, I find the hands to often be the problem... they strip the post or the original installed bent the post when applying pressure... this really is the worse thing to have happen... next the breaking the post off.

But, I always get those that pull out the stem and can't get it back in or the stem breaks.

Let's see...... how many of you have had me repair your 7750 :)

Tommy

Online surveys usually aren't very accurate, as the subject heading alone is likely to draw the attention of those who have had issues. If I had a working 7750 I likely wouldn't even look at the post. If I had a dead 7750 I would pay close attention. So, likely Your survey is skewed. I would pay attention to Andrews comments. As a dealer, he likely has a lot better handle on failure rates of these units than anyone. My guess is that if there was a failure rate of 50% in the first 6 months he wouldn't even sell them.

His advice mirrors exactly the advice The Zigmeister gave me when I asked him how to treat my 7750. Possibly the quality of these units is getting better, because I rarely see stories of anything more than slipping second hands when resetting.

I just ordered my first asian 7750 in a breit chrono avenger from joshua, so I am hoping the problems are not as bad as the headlines would indicate. Josh said he tested it and kept the chrono running for 24 hours before shipping and it was working fine, so I am optimistic.

worse case scenario, it poops on me and I buy an ETA 7750 off eBay and have The Zigmeister do a transplant.

worse case scenario, it poops on me and I buy an ETA 7750 off eBay and have ziggy do a transplant.

It may be that Ziggy can do this, but I wouldn't count on it. If this were readily doable, the option should be readily available - and it isn't. Joshua explained the problem to me once, but I cannot remember what he said.

Still, from everything I read, Ziggy gets things done, so it may be possible for him.

Bill

Actually Ziggy did it on my Chrono Avenger. According to him it was an easy transplant. The only downside is that you can't use the datewheel from the Asian movement (although the font is based off a different Breitling). I do have to say that the Datewheel that came on the Swiss 7750 actually had a closer font. I will take luck over skill every time.

On Andrew's comment he may be right that surveys attract unhappy people. But I would just say that in general once a movement lasts a few weeks dealers never hear about it. My Breitling is the perfect example. When it broke down several months later I would never think of returning it to the dealer. Hell, if you talk to other owners of the most expensive rep on the planet (187) which unfortunately come with that movement there are several of us dealing with necessary hand gluing, stuck pushers, etc.And once again none of us are running to the dealers. I am told the new 7750's are great and I hope all watches move toward this. But for my money, the old Asian 7750 may be a good movement but whoever makes them has no quality control. Finally, on the comment of ETA's having problems as well my experience is different. I have more than 20 ETA based watches including 2-7750's, 4-7753's and three 2893/2's. Beyond the occasional service I have had no problems. I am always willing to pay up for ETA, although I have not tried the chinese movement yet.

I have never had any major problems with Asian 7750's... and I use the chronos a-plenty.

As for the old rwg poll, there had to be several factors that lead to that percentage..

First, I agree, that people are more likely to post in a poll when they encounter a problem.

2nd,.. some people do not know, how to handle chronos.. Asian or not...they just don't

understand that the chronograph still represents the most difficult complication to build

and is a delicate mechanism that certain factors affect.

Regarding The Zigmeister,.. I believe that human nature tends to follow the path of least resistance..

which means that many of those watches sent to The Zigmeister were probably already demonstrating

problems before he ever touched them... and many people won't mention problems thinking

that they will be charged additional money, hoping that the servicing will correct them.

I know this from my past experience in reparing safes..

Don't also forget that The Zigmeister owns an old Asian 7750 that he uses with his work several

times a week,.. and his watch was running, last time we checked...

He also has stated that he thinks the Asian 7750 is a strong horse of a movement.

However that being said... I am going for the newer Asian 7750 whenever I can find it..

just to have an upgraded model engine...... but if I get the

itch for a new release that I have been waiting for, which contains the older movement...

I am not afraid to own a few more.. they have been very good to me...

Plus thanks to the fantastic tutorials we have available to us here, I am beginning to learn to do my

own repairs and servicing, as I always want to be self sufficient.

Lastly, if you want, you can purchase any watch you want, plus extra movements for backups,

for less the cost of one ETA 7750,.. which we all know are not immune to problems either.

The Asian 7750 represents a true value for us chronograph lovers.... ^_^ IMO

The Zigmeister .. and on Rule #4 was saying not to adjust day/date (eg on IWG GST) if the time is between 2:00 AM and 8:00 PM

Trusty says to set the time at 4:30 before changing day/date.

I am confused now. Which one applies ??? :g:

Edited by AMK000

Dear friends,

Ciao

Andrew

usefull info...

BTW...i think i did all of the mentioned but mine still works perfectly...

guys, do you think think that River sent me the genuine one (196 PAM)? :lol:

I don't know how many people who actually got these in their watches, but I'm really curious about one thing. How many people have really had any problems with the asian 7750's?

My first IWC GST Chrono was great, then the chrono didn't return to 12 and it got worse and worse. Eventually, the watch just stopped working. The dealer, PT, replaced it and the replacement arrived, but didn't keep good time at all. Rather than bother PT again, I opened it and set the +/- myself, only I took bad advice on what to change and the beat is now off.

It's booked in to The Zigmeister's. :D

Are all you folks who have had no problems saying you have not even had to, at a minmum, glue the subdial and/or main second hand into place because they slip and then don't properly reset?

Well, this post has been useful for me because what it tells me is that I have bad luck. Funny, it never happens with the Swiss 7750 or 7753's. :) My new approach based on everybody's feedback will be to buy only previouly owned Asian 7750 watches. Maybe that will get rid of the bad luck factor. The other possibility is that quality control issues have been reduced. I am just amazed because if you had looked at the last poll on RWGI many people (read dozens) had concluded what I did. Old Asian 7750's were a crap shoot. Doesn't make me or other owners feel any better about their 187's though. :)

Are all you folks who have had no problems saying you have not even had to, at a minmum, glue the subdial and/or main second hand into place because they slip and then don't properly reset?

Well, this post has been useful for me because what it tells me is that I have bad luck. Funny, it never happens with the Swiss 7750 or 7753's. :) My new approach based on everybody's feedback will be to buy only previouly owned Asian 7750 watches. Maybe that will get rid of the bad luck factor. The other possibility is that quality control issues have been reduced. I am just amazed because if you had looked at the last poll on RWGI many people (read dozens) had concluded what I did. Old Asian 7750's were a crap shoot. Doesn't make me or other owners feel any better about their 187's though. :)

I have two 7750 watches...

1st a Pam 196 18 months old... NEVER EVER had a problem with constantly use of the chronos. The watch has never even be opened and it is in perfect condition (constantly running for the 18 months I have it)

2nd a Pam 212 6 months old... I had to glue the big hand in place for slipping...

My uncle has a modified 7750 Daytona.. after 3 months of constantly wearing it no problemo...