When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How much would YOU spend on a replica?

Fendi

Hello there,

I am a new poster but have been lurking for a while.

I am interested to know how much you would spend on a one off replica. I know some of you have huge collections, and don't mind spending the coin (after all it is one of your passions).

I am looking for a first replica to buy, i really don't know what my budget should be. I don't want a Rolex or a Tag. IWC, Panerai, and Omega have caught my idea.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts.

Regards

Fendi (yes male :) )

Interesting question. Me = tops U$400 for any replica. I just don't think they're worth more.

As for the watch suggestions, what can be said, that hasn't been said before to other people asking the same? :p

IWC = 3717

PAM = 112/111

Omega = SMP/SMP Chrono

Go with the basics, and you will fall in love with others.

In general I would say $400 is about right for me as well. I'll pay more for a watch modded with original parts as those parts will have lasting value, but for a straight out of the box rep $400 is tops. This of course implies that a true 1:1 rep is worth more to me than a non 1:1 rep as it gives me the option to mod with OEM parts.

Interesting question. Me = tops U$400 for any replica. I just don't think they're worth more.

As for the watch suggestions, what can be said, that hasn't been said before to other people asking the same? :p

IWC = 3717

PAM = 112/111

Omega = SMP/SMP Chrono

Go with the basics, and you will fall in love with others.

Thanks for the reply vbarrett, i was hoping my question wasn't a repost, couldn't find it in the search.

$400, that opens up a large choice of watches. I can't comment on if they are worth more or less as i haven't held one of the replicas Josh or Andrew sell. But i hear they are better than the $20 ones you get in Thailand hehe. I am based in the UK. I would hope that customs don't stop them coming through to me.

Decisions decisions! It isn't easy. They all look gorgeous!

Thanks for the reply vbarrett, i was hoping my question wasn't a repost, couldn't find it in the search.

It can be tricky. Make sure you untick "search this forum only", and check out each individual forum for the marques you like. The PAM question has been asked a few times, with a lot of members giving great suggestions to each newbie. :)

$400, that opens up a large choice of watches.

Pretty much all the rep watches. :)

Well, save the ceramic, older Hublot Big Bangs or a nice IWC Cousteau Diver 2007, Cartier Santos Chrono and the like.

I can't comment on if they are worth more or less as i haven't held one of the replicas Josh or Andrew sell. But i hear they are better than the $20 ones you get in Thailand hehe. I am based in the UK. I would hope that customs don't stop them coming through to me.

Decisions decisions! It isn't easy. They all look gorgeous!

Keep Narikaa and Precious Time in mind, since they are UK-based.

Upgrading to the VIP membership will give you access to all the dealer areas, with their information and watch galleries, etc!

Also, you can PM people, but not me, since I am again at 100%. :p

Arrgh, I need to tug my forelock at Admin again...

check Homer also -

for me 400$ max if some mods are done or nice straps -

im shocked to see some offerings in the forums lately -

looks like modded pams will be soon reach the 1000 $ mark ;)

Frank

This sounds like a survey on how far dealers may rise prices while keep us buying...

:lol:

Exactly!!! That's why I declare that I will spend no more than $180 ($200 shipped) on any new SuperRep...Now who's with me? ;)

Edited by avitt

Guest watchbuff

I want to re- state my limit. $200.00 is my linit. I must spent over $300.00 on my PAM and think that is the last of the "big bucks" I am going to spend on a "fake" anything even if it is swiss.

I agree, we are opening ourselves up to any and all who want to make a $.

Would you walk into a car dealer saying "I will spend a max of $60k for thios M3?" You just made his day.

For $400.00 I have a Rolex Datejust all gen outside with an ETA movement. i'll put it against anything out there in that category. You cant win at "spot the rep" with that one.

Lets's keep what we would spend a 'personal" secret" or else we have no one to blame but ourselves when we decide to complain that we spent wayyyyyyyyy too much for something that is pennies on the dollar. Literally.

$400 tops for me as well. But it'll better be the best f*cking rep in Christendom and it must perform fellatio for that price. Any more and the fun's gone. I think that super reps at super prices are an exercise in futility. It has been proven what can be done at the lower price bracket so any increased prices is just profiteering.

Edited by The Mentalist

For a first watch, stick to the $175-$300 range. There are tons of great, high quality options from reliable dealers.

I wouldn't go higher until you have a feel for what you are getting into -- unless of course you absolutely have a burning passion for one of the more expensive reps and can't wait to get it.

Over the past few years I've only made a couple of purchases over the $300 mark... but when I have a great watch I am willing to invest additional dollars into a nice strap and service so that it lasts me a long, long time. This is another factor you need to take into consideration.... not just first cost but lifetime cost... but again that depends on how much of a passion for watches you have or whether they are merely novelties that you will throw away in a year or two or three.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Ok, considering it appears the consensus is that a replica should not cost more than $400... Does anyone beside me buy replica chronographs with Swiss 7750/7753 movements? Am I the only one who has a fondness for chrono's with these movements?

And if I am not, and others out there are collecting these watches AND getting them for under the apparent $400 price ceiling... Can I get your source? Because last research I did found that the movement alone was around $400.

I am not proud nor ashamed to state that I have paid in excess of $1000 for a replica chrono. In fact, I now have 5 chronographs that have all cost between $750 and $1000. I wouldnt give any one of them up, and figure that some day THEY will be the only watches in my collection to be worth nearly what was paid for them.

Ok, considering it appears the consensus is that a replica should not cost more than $400... Does anyone beside me buy replica chronographs with Swiss 7750/7753 movements? Am I the only one who has a fondness for chrono's with these movements?

And if I am not, and others out there are collecting these watches AND getting them for under the apparent $400 price ceiling... Can I get your source? Because last research I did found that the movement alone was around $400.

I am not proud nor ashamed to state that I have paid in excess of $1000 for a replica chrono. In fact, I now have 5 chronographs that have all cost between $750 and $1000. I wouldnt give any one of them up, and figure that some day THEY will be the only watches in my collection to be worth nearly what was paid for them.

I would imagine that it's probably because paying for a swiss 7750 and actually receiving a swiss 7750 is probably too big a gamble for $1000+. For most punters, why spend that much on a Swiss 7750 when an Asian 7750 does the job functionally and cosmetically?

$400 tops for me as well. But it'll better be the best f*cking rep in Christendom and it must perform fellatio for that price. Any more and the fun's gone. I think that super reps at super prices are an exercise in futility. It has been proven what can be done at the lower price bracket so any increased prices is just profiteering.

Very well said ... I share your sentiment. Cheers

i agree 250 - 400 USD at the most shipped. (must be chrono at that price)

Anything over that and your fueling the fire that makes us all upset at this little hobby sometimes, The often unnecasary price hikes.

Edited by Rxus