When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are You One Of Those?

Victoria

Most people are clueless in my variouis professional and personal circles...they just know I'm a watchnut and usually notice my wrist with a "whatcha' wearin' today'....

I gave up trying to explain long, long time ago...

I know they are there. Don't care if anyone else does really. I do love a good "nice watch" comment, or "wow is that a.." who doesnt though? I am always hoping they turn out to be a watch nazi like me so we can talk.

"Watch Queen" is the word I use, for both male and females. ;)

The thing that gets me, is the wrist shake. You know, to get the watch face centered on your wrist when it settles a little off center. I have a complex about that, I am concious of myself to make sure I do not do it often.

Ooh, the watch shake. I never do that because I too am self-conscious. But what I do, namely, twirling it around slowly looks just as affected...

Most people are clueless in my variouis professional and personal circles...they just know I'm a watchnut and usually notice my wrist with a "whatcha' wearin' today'....

I gave up trying to explain long, long time ago...

Hmm, intereseting, Tech. I wonder if it's different for men and women? Watches are at once thought a masculine hobby (just look at the imbalance in membership), but are also fashion statements, like it or not.

Do men get hassled by their friends for any implied feminity in liking watches?

(I can't speak for all women, but I don't get weird glances when I mention I'm "into" watches, at all. )

EDIT: A visual for you.

The Queen during her recent US trip, next to the US President and the First Lady. She's wearing a solid gold Cartier, encrusted with diamonds (I'll get a better shot one day, for my "Royalty and The History of Watches" forthcoming post), and a diamond brooch PLUS string of pearls which both belonged to her gran, Queen Mary, who in turn, got it from the Romanovs. They are literally, priceless. She's covering the multi-million dollar ring she wears next to Prince Philip's engagement ring.

watchin4.jpg

But all we see is an old lady, wearing clothes which were old-fashioned even in the 1930s, with a clunky handbag which must give Donatella Versace nightmares.

Poor Shah. Guy never stood a chance.

What strange body-languge...it's almost as if the Prez is saying, "Heh...what a funny little critter! - wunner how it got past Security?"

As for Laura, "Let's see....If it's Monday, this must be Queen Elizabeth? George did say today was Monday, didn't he? And do I have to take off these damn gloves if we shake hands?"

I wouldn't venture to say what the Dear Old Bird is thinking about all this.

What strange body-languge...it's almost as if the Prez is saying, "Heh...what a funny little critter! - wunner how it got past Security?"

As for Laura, "Let's see....If it's Monday, this must be Queen Elizabeth? George did say today was Monday, didn't he? And do I have to take off these damn gloves if we shake hands?"

From the expression, I'd suggest something like "Don't make eye contact... Keep smiling... No sudden movements... Keep smiling..."

:lol: :lol:

I'll take a crack at it:

GWB: "Dagnabbit, Laura wuz right agin! Old trout really IS checkin' out if I polished ma shoes!".

LWB: "Do I look like Jackie Kennedy yet?"

QEII: "Cor blimey, his mum really should've pulled his ears out, like I ordered my servants to do with Charles."

• 3 weeks later...

I think it may be just an involuntary gesture on the Shah's part, I know that I often have to re-adjust my watch to sit in the middle of my wrist, it tends to slide to the outside of my wrist often, just the way my wrist is shaped. I suspect the photo was taken just when he was re-centering his watch.

I know, not as interesting of an explanation, but plausible nontheless.

I have noticed that since i recieved my blue steelfish...with that great ar....i am constantaly wiping all the south florida sunblock and sweat off the crystal.

man that ar really gets nasty looking.

I realized, after a few nice watch comments that i probabally looked like i was trying to draw attention to the thing. and was a bit embarrased.

i am starting to appreciate my single sided ar more and more. :)

l1

I have noticed that since i recieved my blue steelfish...with that great ar....i am constantaly wiping all the south florida sunblock and sweat off the crystal.

YES! I too do that with my gens...

man that ar really gets nasty looking.

I realized, after a few nice watch comments that i probabally looked like i was trying to draw attention to the thing. and was a bit embarrased.

i am starting to appreciate my single sided ar more and more. :)

Very interesting observation there, lumpy.

I am one "Those" who must seem like they're always wanting to point out their watch, precisely because I am always admiring and fussing over them, trying to get the watch to sit just right on my wrist (hey Rima, good idea!), or wiping them clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is an interesting post...

I hate bling, and do prefer "quieter" watches...classic style...but...today I'm buying a HBB ....:) I just can't resist it, I don't know why but I just have to have it...the thing is I'm thinking all the time how can I make it smaller hehe, I mean, I usually wear my shirts with the sleves up and although I'm a big guy (1,85m height and around 85 Kgs), I know it will show a mile away that big watch in my wrist...but ....I have to have it!!!!

I allways try to be discreet about my watch but I do recognize that from time to time I do rotate the face so that it sits in the center of my wrist, nothing to to with showing the watch just that it feels weird when the major portion of the watch wheight is "hanging" in the side of my wrist so I rotate it :)

I'll post some pics when I get the HBB so you guys see it :) mid you, it will be the lite version...I might send it for AR later...let's see...

cheers

Edited by cleobis