When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mystery Vintage Quiz!

docblackrock

The first one with the orange lume is a gen 1956 6536...100m

The second one is a little tougher....it is supposed to be a 5508...but it says 1000ft......WRONG!!....Its a franken watch with gen insert, gen/rep case and a dial from another sub.....maybe gen.....not sure....I dont know....but the dial is definately wrong....red pearl is 6536/1 though

Edited by Nightstroker

does the 168000 sub have the same case as the 1680 but with shapire crystal?

Always curious about this.

Nope, the 168000 was actually a very limited (9-month!) transitional model at the end of the (itself a transitional model) 16800's lifecycle, the final stage before switching to the ubiquitous 16610. By this time, the 1680 was left far behind with the new models having an upgraded case, c.3035 movt, and sapphire crystal.

The only real difference between the 168000 and the 16800 was they changed the SS grade from 316 to 904 - Nanuq must have a keen eye for that :lol: or of course he guessed I was trying to make things a little more difficult ;) But then he also guessed it was a 'rep' :whistling:

Ok so you've had some time to stew on the other two overnight....(it was night time here in GMT land ;))

The first one with the orange lume is a gen 1956 6536...100m

The second one is a little tougher....it is supposed to be a 5508...but it says 1000ft......WRONG!!....Its a franken watch with gen insert, gen/rep case and a dial from another sub.....maybe gen.....not sure....I dont know....but the dial is definately wrong....red pearl is 6536/1 though

Okay since you offered to let me play.......

The top one is SO close to a 6536 gilt that it's not even funny. But the case/rehaut depth gives it away as a gilt 5508.

The next teaser is an obscenely rare GILT 16800. Unheard of... rarer than rare.

Oooh, two completely different opinions here....well who's right then?

FIRST ONE....

It is in fact an early (1958) 5508 with an aftermarket (MY) bezel insert. Nanuq I was sure you'd plump for 6536 like Nightstroker - the rehaut spot is superb (you remember Billy Crystal's response to De Niro, right? "No, YOU...." :D)

SECOND ONE...

Nightstroker, that gilt dial with modern text and spec just messes with your head doesn't it?!! A gilt dial in a 1980's era watch? :blink: No way is it legit, right? :brow: Must be a franken. Or so you'd think...:g: It is in fact completely GEN and ORIGINAL - as my wilderness-dwelling friend has again nailed it, an OBSCENELY RARE gilt dial 16800, made for a Middle East customer :tu:

Have you guys ever heard the word.. ANAL..

Sheesh... and loving it! :thumbs:

Where else could one ever go, to acquire this sort of information, and discourse?

I have said it before, and will say it again, we have some of the most intelligent WIS collectors around. Period.

This is not about something being a rep,gen, or Frank, but more about the sharing of accumulated knowledge.

And I beleive some WIS from the gen forums, would be overwhelmed, if they visited here.

'Course they wouldn't lower themselves, but wouldn't they get an unholy scare, both at the knowledge, and what some reps can finally grow to.

Thanks guys, you just reconfirmed why I spend my time here.

Offshore

And no DBR, I won't even try on that one...let's leave it to the experts.

This class is from a far too high level for me too :unsure:

What a knowledge here on RWG.

Bravo

You know you really shouldn't feel intimidated or out of your league, there's actually a point or moral behind this entire thread ;)

Treat it like a puzzle or a diagnosis. This last one then, just start with the basic details, and say what you see even if it's obvious. Then have another look, see if there's anything that looks different or strange, what's right and what's not right. And then the picture starts to reveal itself.....

Go on, give it a go ;)

No "Date" in the Oyster line on a GMT Master II, makes me scratch my head, never seen one like that before. BTW - if any of these ever needed a good home..... :whistling: , lol, great stuff guys!!!!!!!!!!!

A head-scratcher indeed, like all of these - combine the GMT Master II marking with a vintage trashed case, the bezel edge, the bleached insert (hmm, now is that blue or black? ;) ), the dial markings, all makes one wonder.....:g:

Anyone have an idea what the moral of this thread is yet???