When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it just me, or is collecting reps more fun than collecting gens?

justaguy88

Certainly we are all here, to some extent, because the cost of gen watches prohibits us from having an expansive gen collections. But still, collecting reps has an appeal I think I prefer. It may be a bit cliche to say this, but perfection is often boring. Gen watches are amazingly well crafted... their quality is rarely rivaled and most definitely never surpassed by their rep counterparts...but once you own the watch, there it sits...with nothing else to be done.

My interest in rep watches stems from my pursuit of rep-perfection. Modding watches, researching the most accurate models, and eventually the satisfaction of knowing I have a watch that in all practical respects is 99% of the gen at a fraction of the cost. I find none of this intrigue with gens. What is there to talk about? "Yep, that watch is gorgeous." "That gen's crown shines just like the gen's crown should." Eh.

While there is something to be said for owning the authentic timepieces, especially if ownership is of a brand with particularly interesting or rich history (patek, panerai, ect.) rep collecting, as a hobby, is something I much prefer. Thoughts?

Edited by justaguy88

There's definitely a level of interest beyond just whacking your credit card on the counter and walking out of the store (although on TZ it seems that a lot of interest seems to stem from sucking up to get on a waiting list).

I especially like the way some members get into modding to improve their watches, and the extra level of knowledge that comes with making some of the frankens. That takes the hobby into a different place. Check out Euno's FA Jones for example, it's fantastic. Or Phoband designed his own skeleton watch the way he wanted it, not to forget his PAM 666. B)

While there is something to be said for owning the authentic timepieces, especially if ownership is of a brand with particularly interesting or rich history (patek, panerai, ect.) rep collecting, as a hobby, is something I much prefer. Thoughts?

As you know, huge rep watch collection goes hand-in-hand with my huge gen watch collection (well, 27 timepieces...my mum says she has about the same, and dad isn't far behind).

I can honestly say that I love buying gens more, because one USUALLY has a face-to-face encounter with ADs or watchsmiths, it's great to bargain, and you feel good buying a watch you know is absolutely genuine, with no problems, tells, or anything which will go wrong in the near future (theoretically).

Plus, with servicing and care, it'll last you a lifetime.

Then, there's the whole morality aspect, which as a guilty Cat'lick, I can't shake.

But rep watches are fun too. Except the waiting. That's torture. :p

As a relative newcomer to this hobby, I cannot work out what the attraction is. For 40+ years I've got along very well with Seiko and the like, my last Seiko I wore for 23 years. I'm also aware of the illegality of what are, to be frank, counterfeits, and would be unlikely to spend out the money being asked for gens. I don't mind spending money on something genuine if I think the return is worth it, but a watch................? Not sure. I can get more accurate time from my mobile phone, but without a watch on my wrist I feel naked. I would never try to fool anyone my rep was anything other than a fake though. Go figure.

About a year ago a friend brought me back a

Hey there justaguy88,

Very keen observation, one that goes to the very core of our hobby. You can see from the replies thus far that we're separated into several camps on this topic, but that some basic and common threads run through us all. One, admit it or not, we collect these things from an economic standpoint, no matter WHAT the underlying reason(s). Affordability, larger collection than a gen collection, doesn't matter - financial consideration is there. Two, there is the love of the hobby itself, or of collecting. Many members collect other things as well. Me, personally, I collect a few other things: Jeff Hamilton and sports themed exotic jackets and coats; comic book and superhero collectible items, die-cast cars and planes to mention a few. Whether from admiration to ownership, or even vicariously living are some of my reasons. All of these reasons (as with everyone's own reasons) add up to the pleasure involved. If your reason (one of mine, too, I admit), is rep-perfection and quality, so be it. I respect and admire you for it. I own several gens, and while I will acquire more, I collect gens for their reasons, and reps for theirs as well. Sometimes those reasons overlap, and that's fine with me. The love of a mechanically sound piece of work, the history associated, the look, the feel, whatever floats your boat, I say. If one PREFERS gen collecting, then the reasons they would own a rep is far different than someone who lives to mod watches. What cracks me up are the folks who aren't even honest with themselves as to why they acquire reps. If your intent is to fool everyone at your office, or elsewhere, so be it, that is fine by me - even if it may not be my own cup of tea. If you are the kind of person who has tinkered with anything moving since Erector Sets, have at it, by all means. If you feel gens are too overpriced and this is your stab at the watch companies, slide right in here, there's room for you as well. It is a wide spectrum of people and reasons and I for one am glad to have this and other quality forums to learn, discourse and understand. A little self-reflection never hurt. Heck, I'm even practicing self-restraint and fiscal soundness or I'd have a second mortgage about now, for reps, gens and everything else I would see and want in this instant gratification world we live in. Great topic, thanks for giving ME a moment to pause and reflect.

No way to compare the two. One is like collecting high end R/C, the other is like collecting the actual cars themselves. Sure, the R/C is fun, you get a giggle out of it. But you never have that engulfing pride and warmth that you get when you look into the garage.

Missing the point. Some folks enjoy collecting the reps and for whatever reasons, don't want to collect gens. They may be perfectly happy with the rep in the garage. Whether it is because they like to mod their own, cannot or will not spend for a gen, or because for the price they can own MORE than one watch. Their feeling about what is "in the garage" is their own. No one is comparing the two on that basis, just that different people have different reasons for collecting what they do. Some folks are perfectly happy with one gen; some are happy with one rep; others want more than one, rep or gen. Question posed was more of what makes one happy about their passion, not to simply compare reps to gens. That comparison is what led us all here in the first place.(A gen is a gen; a rep is only a replica or copy of a gen; that much is a given. Only small minds confuse the two.) If you prefer gens alone or above rep collecting, fine, it's your call. But for someone else, the rep passion may be stronger than the desire to hobby in gens, for whatever reason. I think the direction was if you are more into the rep collecting than gen collecting; why is it?

For collectors/wearers with the cash, gens are obviously the best option. Reps, on the other hand, offer dual benefits of providing modders with a hobby that is both educational (learning about mechanical watches) and fun, and they allow collectors/wearers the ability to amass larger collections and, in the case of a select handful of the best reps/frankens, to receive all the public benefits of gens but without having to pay the price.

You most certainly have the right to your views, defacto, and in fact I don't know of any member who would disagree with the point you make, I think we ALL know the difference between a rep and a gen. Not at all. I just feel the point of this thread was to call out the reasons a great deal of hobbyists and collectors do so(collect or prefer reps) in the first place, not CONFUSING the two. We all know the difference, some people PREFER reps, that's all. The people who get so caught up that they actually THINK their rep really IS a gen are the folks I think your comment is better directed towards. Ask THOSE people if they know the difference; are they thinking or feeling their reps (no matter how "super" or modded) are the real thing or better? Are they building watches close to gens or fantasy watches that have movements and parts either equal to or even superior TO a gen (also a very admirable pursuit, I might add) for whatever reason. Two VERY different points of view, see what I mean?

So what's the attraction? Why has a man in late middle age suddenly gone gaga over fake watches? I wish someone would tell me (and let me have the cure!) ;)

Welcome to the forum, Brightight. You wrote a great semi-intro post; thanks for your honesty and comic timing!

Now, to answer your question -- if you don't know, and presumably you've lived with yourself a long time :lol:, I cannot know either.

My guess would be that a whole world of possibilities, choices and undreamt of situations arose when you got that cheapie Breitling, and it fired up your imagination!

And the imagination is the key to humanity, says the dimestore rep watch forum member. ;)

I was explaining my view. Reps are fun toys that one can tinker with. Gens are long term keepers. Kinda like one night stands vs. long term girlfriends. The former looks plenty good, but just doesn't have the inside/soul to be the latter. :lol:

I've got to disagree there. The reps I've bought with inheritance money or received as gifts mean as much to me, as they would were they 100% genuine. It doesn't matter that it's a replica, it matters that it represents something more than itself, and has meaning for me as a person.

Say I won the lotto and had the immediate funds to replace every rep in my collection with gens, what would be the point? The gen watches wouldn't be the watches I received as a gift or bought with my inheritance, they would simply be (more) expensive substitutes. According to the gen =good rep = bad argument, the gen watches should mean more to me, but in practical terms, they would actually be completely devoid of sentimental attachment, so in my eyes, utterly worthless.

Just my .2c :)