When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What a brand new aquaracer should NOT look like...

jkarpas

Well a week or so ago i ordered from an eu based dealer a blue brand new tag aquaracer daydate chrono.

I paid 150gbp for it which was about 310usd.

watch arrived fast ( as i asked the dealer for) but as soon as i unwrapped it , i came across this "raped" watch.

As you can see the bezel has a deep nick at 14mins that shows the watch was bumped somewhere..

Also the caseback seems like it was opened with a sledgehammer and a nail , so scratched! nothing like new...

Third flaw, one endlink was so bad machined that it was sticking to the link and could not move smoothly as it should.

As a rep i did not like the quality of the bracelet and clasp , very light and poor, cheap feeling.

I asked the dealer why he sent the watch in such a bad shape and the answer i got was this:

"sorry about this..

i had to send it out fast as you did not want the the Corum

I did not check it.. normally they are perfect.

please send it to me. il check and send 1."

So tomorrow morning i am sending this beauty back to the dealer i got it from.

I will ask him for a full refund + the expenses of sending the watch back to him.

It was clearly not my mistake.

I am right am i?

Thanks to a friend i found a cam so on to the pics:

post-2319-1194199976_thumb.jpg

post-2319-1194200021_thumb.jpg

post-2319-1194200061_thumb.jpg

post-2319-1194200104_thumb.jpg

post-2319-1194200146_thumb.jpg

Don't know who this dealer was, and personally I don't care, but you should share the info so others don't get the same treatment. Whether he ships the watch personally, or under his auspices, this is horrendous and I would not do any future business with him. To me, either this is a GROSS oversight (you wanting the watch quickly has NOTHING to do with it, we ALL want watches quickly - and often ask for faster delivery time) or a blatant attempt to just "pass off" a piece of his damaged goods - both of which are totally unacceptable. These are the sort of things this forum and others seek to eliminate, and we should know who this is - either on this post or in the dealer section. Let this dealer stand up and explain and account for his actions. And then he has the nerve to blame you on top. Please put him on "blast" so that the forum can put this type of service on ice.

i dont want to name the dealer yet because i am sure he will refund me all my money as he should.

He told me he is sorry this happened. Many other members had given him great feedback , thats why i chose him, i dont want to blame him for no reason, we are people and [censored] happens, now lets see what will happen from now on..

I will let you know how things go and i i get refunded.

Bad thing is the inconvenience caused, now i am left with no watch to wear, my upo lacks a springbar and they coming this week..

Good luck getting anything more than your money back. Trying to get return shipping charges back from any of the "collectors" from most accounts on various threads I've read is next to impossible. Dealer's if they send you junk in error (generally always their fault due to either bad QC in this case) or none due to drop-shipping, don't really offer much or anything in terms of compensation to make up for their errors.

This is somewhat standard with mail order in general unfortunately. From my experience, only a small number of mail order vendors (not just rep watches but ANY kind of mail order) offer refunds on the return shipping charges for items being sent back. Add in various shades of global legality on this hobby, and there aren't really many avenues for keeping collector's in check outside of documenting your experiences on forums like RWG.

Some forum folks like Lady V may have had better luck with collectors making up errors in terms of offering strap switches, extra straps, parts, etc, but this may be due to such members being high volume clients.

Generally, it seems, a transaction is considered succesful if the final requested item as described arrives at all...regardless if you have to pay extra due to return shipping and delays in waiting for your item.

Sad...but I think true...YMMV of course...

That su**s... :o

Especially when you make the step of securing the transaction with an E.U. based dealer.

OK, no one is perfect, and the fact that the dealer recognized the thing sounds not bad. If he's going to repair this mistake, everything will be fine again, and you'll enjoy your gorgeous watch !

I understand and second your disappointment : waiting for a killer watch, receiving an obviously scratched case is lame.

Good luck in the rest of the transaction, and tell us that all has been settled in a gentle way. :wounded1:

Some forum folks like Lady V may have had better luck with collectors making up errors in terms of offering strap switches, extra straps, parts, etc, but this may be due to such members being high volume clients.

This is true, sadly, Toadtorrent. They know I'll be back, and a lot.

As I said earlier, it shouldn't be the case in life. All buyers should be treated alike, but life doesn't work that way.

What gets me is this -- do they (whomever, the staff member that put it in the package, even) think we won't notice? That SOMEONE SOMEWHERE will say, okay, well there we are, and not complain?

Thus they'll be rid of that godawful piece, like jkarpas got? Ugh, God, come on. We're not fools.

@JKarpas: On paper, you should get credit for everything, including shipping. But yeah, usually they give you a nicer watch and that's it. However, since we have options, I wouldn't return to that seller if he doesn't compensate you in some way, for ALL your monetary losses.

This is such a hassle and inconvenience... I sometimes have difficulty to believe that actual human beings place these watches into envelopes and dispatch them in the mail in such a condition... I cannot understand how some people can be so unethical.

...and its also bad for business, and a waste of time for the dealer... now he has to re-ship a new watch and re-pay shipping and do it all over again... why not just get it right the first time? It's not hard. "This watch is no good, this other watch is correct, let's put the correct on in the envelope instead of the other one." Does this not REGISTER in the MINDS of some of these "people" ?!?!??!

I too feel your pain, and have received many aesthetically and functionally damaged timepieces.

Im very sorry to hear this... ever since my missing Daytona fiasco i am uncomfortable with sending anything back to the dealer... and dont expect a refund.. if anything they will just swap in a new insert and new caseback and send you back the same watch. What i would do is ask the dealer for a new insert and caseback free of charge... that way you will save the shipping charges back and forth becasue i can almost guarantee the dealer wont pay it.. i would be SHOCKED if he did.

the watch was sent back to the dealer and the dealer refunded me the full cost +shipping charges.

excellent service!

thank you all

You should know and be aware that most of the dealers do not refund shipping cost (with the excuse that they paid for it and that's a "risk" they want to share with the customer).

So consider your self lucky. B)