When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datewheel overlay project

rosnik

Hi rolly funs!

Like you know to find some correct overlays is very difficoult. :o

I find one guy that can professional print and cut with plotter cutter one little series of overlays. B)

Now I scannered some overlay I got, but I need your help to have the exact font end measures for get 3 series.

-1 series for 1570 movement (white and sylver support)

-1 series for 3035 movement

-1 series for 3135 movement ( Black numbers and red/black numbers)

Can you help me in this project?

Do you have some extra ideas?

cheers! :D

Nico

2004794224096410787_rs.jpg

I would definitly be interested...My datewheel is from cubic-works and it looks most like the "general" pic you posted...The numbers on this cubic-works version are a tad bit too big, but its hardly noticable...Hopefully some other people are interested, I know a few people that might want 1...Where can you get 1 of those ubi wheels? And what about the wholesale 1...where can these dw's be found?

Heres a 3135 dw i found on ebay

m110201.jpg

Edited by UB7

@docblackrock: If you got high res pictures, plese get at my address nik8e at email.it please. ;)

@UB7 : yes the 'general' it's from CubiK, but it's realy poor.... :o The best are overlays UBI get some time ago, but now unfurtunatlly discontinued .

I neeed high res. pictures and exact measures of gen.

Hey Nico,

I'm in the middle of working on the same project right now. I've found a printer that has looked at the job and what needs to be done. He can screen, die cut the overlays from either brass or steel and everything. So far, the only hold up for me is gettting him the proper file so he can create the screen. jpg files are of no use as the final output is pixelated. I'm planning on the 3135 to start as finding a proper date overlay is next to impossible. I've been slowly creating a vector file of the scanned disc, and once that is done, I will start getting them printed. It just takes time to get it done. Preliminary costs are estimated at around $25.00 an overlay for a small run. Getting the die for cutting the metal and screen for printing is the most expensive part. I'm sure I could get them printed on vinyl for a lot cheaper, but I've been in contact with other members and they would prefer printing on metal. I have found some hardened steel sheet that is 0.06mm to give to the printer to try out. I'm also looking at the 3035 and 1570. I'm just waiting for a gen 3035 and 1570 that I bought so I can create files for those as well. Those will take a bit more work as the number progression has to be reversed in order to use for ETA overlay.

What are you planning on printing on? Any other members out there who would be interested in some overlays that are printed on metal? My hope is to have them similar to the cubic overlay, nice thin stiff metal, but with the proper size fonts. Anyone else interested?

The cubic-works dw is not bad at all...It depends what kind of cyclops you have 2.5 or 2..I think mine is 2.5 and it still looks great just a tad bit too big...I will definitly take a DW if someone finds a printer and the fonts are quality I will be interested, so will watchbuff im sure...According to watchbuff, the cubic DW's are better than what offrei is selling

Stilty,

If you do the job I stop immediately! :D

Wile my Idea was to print on one self adhesive cardboard like UBI overlays.

I'm really interested in your project and I'm ready to buy a lot of that overlays.

I know you are one precise worker so sure your project will be great.

If you'll like, wen vectorialized.

I can get one ceaper series on my support too.

The cubic-works dw is not bad at all...It depends what kind of cyclops you have 2.5 or 2..I think mine is 2.5 and it still looks great just a tad bit too big...I will definitly take a DW if someone finds a printer and the fonts are quality I will be interested, so will watchbuff im sure...According to watchbuff, the cubic DW's are better than what offrei is selling

Yes, they are better than OFrei's and even better than the Noobmariner overlays.

@docblackrock: If you got high res pictures, plese get at my address nik8e at email.it please. ;)
I don't have hi-res scans nor do I have digital calipers to measure my DW. Since Stilty has now said he has a similar DW on the way, then it seems there's no need anyway.Stilty, keeping a close eye on this project, good luck :D
Mabye someone could contact the person who did the breitling dw's to make the vector file..I think it was lello, or someone else who is a graphic designer
It was indeed Lello.

I don't have hi-res scans nor do I have digital calipers to measure my DW. Since Stilty has now said he has a similar DW on the way, then it seems there's no need anyway.Stilty, keeping a close eye on this project, good luck :DIt was indeed Lello.

I have been in contact with Lello and he has been kind enough to offer some tips on this project. I did not ask if he would create the file for me. I've just been working on it myself. The printer said he could create the file for me, but at $90/hour. His guy said it would take about two hours, and who knows if he will take the care in ensuring the fonts look correct.

Hey Nico,

I'm in the middle of working on the same project right now. I've found a printer that has looked at the job and what needs to be done. He can screen, die cut the overlays from either brass or steel and everything. So far, the only hold up for me is gettting him the proper file so he can create the screen. jpg files are of no use as the final output is pixelated. I'm planning on the 3135 to start as finding a proper date overlay is next to impossible. I've been slowly creating a vector file of the scanned disc, and once that is done, I will start getting them printed. It just takes time to get it done. Preliminary costs are estimated at around $25.00 an overlay for a small run. Getting the die for cutting the metal and screen for printing is the most expensive part. I'm sure I could get them printed on vinyl for a lot cheaper, but I've been in contact with other members and they would prefer printing on metal. I have found some hardened steel sheet that is 0.06mm to give to the printer to try out. I'm also looking at the 3035 and 1570. I'm just waiting for a gen 3035 and 1570 that I bought so I can create files for those as well. Those will take a bit more work as the number progression has to be reversed in order to use for ETA overlay.

What are you planning on printing on? Any other members out there who would be interested in some overlays that are printed on metal? My hope is to have them similar to the cubic overlay, nice thin stiff metal, but with the proper size fonts. Anyone else interested?

I'd be in for the metal version :thumbsupsmileyanim: An overlay is problematic with GMT (4 hand styles), a Ubi one would not fit in my 1655 -just not enough clearance in there.

Guest watchbuff

UB7 Is right Im in for some. If you can get the wholesaleoutlet DW font on a cubik material that is thin minus the teeth then we are onto something.

The Wholesale outlet ones are meant to replace the 3135 and look correct but too damn thick and the paint chips if trimmed or mishandled. It is "flimsy" It does rub in the low clearance under the dial. it's going to happen unless you replace cannon pinions and go hog wild with that. Good luck there.

The cubic ones are good, nearly close to gen in font style but size is a bit off. I think a 2x mag will make it right and who the hell wants to start changing all that.

Thin like Cubic

Font like Wholesale and then we are cooking!

If you can get the wholesaleoutlet DW font on a cubik material that is thin minus the teeth then we are onto something.

The cubic ones are good, nearly close to gen in font style but size is a bit off. I think a 2x mag will make it right and who the hell wants to start changing all that.

Thin like Cubic

Font like Wholesale and then we are cooking!

That is the plan! Thin like cubic with proper font. I have a genuine 3135 date disc to model after. Those wholesale ones are absolute garbage! The printing is pixelated and just terrible. The cubic is a decent font and good quality print, but too large. I'm guessing this was intentional to compensate for the week mag's the reps used to have. large font + weak mag = decent replication. But if you plan on using them in frankens, they do not look right. Personally, I think they look great as I like a large date, but if you want to look authentic, you need an proper sized font to match the gen.

I have the metal right now and it is pretty stiff for being so thin. The printer just has to make sure they can print on it no problem. I'm sure they can, as they print on everything.

below is a scan I took of a genuine 3135 date disc and cubic overlay side by side.

FYI - you can use either the gen or wholesale in a franken no problem. You just have to use a 2892 movement which is thinner and allows for more clearance between the dial and movement. You gen an extra 0.15 +/- 0.05mm clearance. Doesn't seem like much, but when your talking the tolerances of a movement, it is a lot! But who wants to drop $100 each time on a genuine disc, not to mention how hard they are to source! And the wholesaleoutlet discs! Don't even waste your time or money on them.

datedisccomparisonkd1.jpg

Guest watchbuff

I say let's do it. I have a wholesale disc that is junk if anyone needs a donor for size reference. Good call on the 2892 for more clearance, I'll have to try that next time around. I got locked into the 2824-2 being the sole heart of the 16200 rollie that it became frustrating when the datewheels would drag under the dial.

Here is my POS from wholesale:

post-8404-1194315463_thumb.jpg

Good call on the 2892 for more clearance, I'll have to try that next time around. I got locked into the 2824-2 being the sole heart of the 16200 rollie that it became frustrating when the datewheels would drag under the dial.

Here is my POS from wholesale:

Watchbuff, did you check out this franken that I built for my wife? This has a 12892, a variation of the 2892 so I was able to use a genuine date disc. Much easier to work with than the 2824-2 as far as installing a genuine date disc, but are more money.

Click to see Franken Date 15200