When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Taking The Movement Of A Pocket Watch And Put It To A Wristwatch

V

Well.. I have a pocket watch of my grand father and I would really wanted to put the movement in a vintage Pam case...

I don't have the watch with me to take photos but it looks like this (no it is not Cortebert)

59795-34887.jpg

I guess if the Pam is a base one I will have no problem with the seconds subdial being on 6.

I also have to think if it will fit the case (I guess it is approx the same size as the Radiomir case...

The it is the dial and hands... Many problems may arise but do you think it is possible to do?

It's a 17 (or 15) manual wind movement.. Still in perfect condition and working perfect (after many years without service)

I will bring it with me after the holidays and try to make it work with FInepics.

And then I will do an engraving on the back like another member did to his...

59808-34883.jpg

The member is madasboot (thanks for the inspiration)

His engraving here :wub:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=5136

the movements usualy dont fit properly. the one @paneristi had to wait 6months for the watch getting modified, since you have to mod the whole case&such.... also seconds @6 doesnt mean the dial fits, because the spacing can still be different!

the movements usualy dont fit properly. the one @paneristi had to wait 6months for the watch getting modified, since you have to mod the whole case&such.... also seconds @6 doesnt mean the dial fits, because the spacing can still be different!

I know... I know...

I will take with me my 210.. On this watch I have removed the movement many times.. so I will try to do a bit of watchmaking and see if the base unitas movement has the same size than the pocket watch's

Actually, I am contemplating the same thing. I have a WM vintage on the way and am hopeful of getting the right rolex/cortebet pocket watch movement for Ziggy to install. The movement in the vintages was a standard rolex pocket watch movement. Just make sure it is the right movement. By the way some have Rolex bridges and some don't.

Yes it can be done, however, you may need to mod the case and make a new dial but it can be done.

I was going to do one as well, I had the correct Rolex movement and was going to make an accurate as possible custom 6152-1 out of a 1:1 127 case. I contacted the guy on paneristi that did this project with an RXW. It is doable but expensive.

Price list:

Custom made tritium dial: 200 Euro

phosphor-treatment of existing hands: 50 Euro (tritium)

I forget how much to make the hands if needed

acrylic glass: 150 Euro

steel back: 150 Euro (cheaper from Watchmaster)

modification work: 150 Euro

plus shipping and paypal fees

not to mention the $950 I paid for the pocket watch and $300 for the 127...

I ended up selling the pocket watch to a guy on paneristi and never did the project but it was and is very doable if you want to spend the cash.

In my case I am using a WM case and dial combo which is 100% accurate to the gen. If it requires that much work I will end up taking a pass.

Yeah.. me too.. I am not willing to do all that modifications but who knows maybe it will be easier than we think ;)

I know it's almost impossible to fit exactlly but I don't know how am I willing to start dremel work on my grand father's watch....

no, i think you got it worng. you'll have to use the dremel on the new watch case

• 4 weeks later...
... I would really wanted to put the movement in a vintage Pam case...

Hi V,

Do not avaliate the possibility just for the looks on the case.

You have to ask a professional if that is possible.

Luckily I found myself a vintage Cortébert Pocket Watch this morning (now under repair because the spring wheel was loose) with a cal.616 movement.

The case is bigger than the vintage 3646 but the movement is the one that was "copied" by rolex to equip the original 3646.

Even so I think some adjustments have to be made on the case to accomodate that movement.

I suppose our 3646 rep cases dont have the same measures as the real mccoys...

Cheers,

M.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT???

Pocket watches lose soooooooooo much of it's value when the movement is marriaged with another case. Also, it has sentimental value from you grandfather, don't you want to keep it intact for years to come? You can always buy another rep panerai, but not a vintage hand-me-down watch from your grandfather.

I was in the market for a couple IWC pocket watches, and my research shows that once the original movement and the case are seperated, its worth almost nothing.