When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is Manual Winding Necessary For Automatic Watches?

ryaku

It surely sounds like a stupid question and probabily it is.

I mean: when i HAVE to wind manually my watch?

I know we'd better do that the first time we use the watch.

Do you wind manually ever time your watch stops running when you don't wear it?

waiting for tips :bleh:

Venus movements are manual winds. Manual winds will give resistance when fully wound.

Automatic movements have protection to stop over-winding, otherwise just wearing it could cause it to overwind. Therefore you cannot overwind an automatic watch.

True, I'd forgotten about that, and I own one!

I have a Breitling for Bentley rep which is the same... this was pre-RWG when I got it off eBay. Never worn it. I asked the seller once I received it why I couldnt wind it, they said it will work if you wear it.

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... :blink:

My watchmaker told me that winding an auto watch isn't bad if done in moderation...

Apparently, the winding mechanism is somewhat like a clutch and eventually manual winding can wear components...

He said something about the 'barrell', but this was a long time ago, so can't remember the details.

You cannot overwind an automatic, as it has a clutch which allows for slippage once the movement is fully wound. Basically, an automatic movement is a regular hand-wind mechanical movement, with the addition of a rotor for "auto-winding" and a clutch to prevent over-winding.

In most cases, hand winding an automatic would not damage it....However, if you continue to wind after the mainspring is already fully compressed, it will put unnecessary wear and tear on the slippage clutch...which may result in premature wear...but this would require ALOT of overwinding.

I would guess 10-30 winds to get it going if you are going to wear it should be fine. Wearing it will wind it unless you stay in 1 position for the whole week!

The Zigmeister advises that you should not wind basic Chnese autos - just give them a gentle shake and strap them on. He said that winding ETAs is OK - but why would you want to?

Because I have far too many watches and can't afford a winder (more watches - feed me FEED ME).

:Jumpy:

actually, 4-watch winders are readily available for about $50 on the Bay, including shipping.

that could be put towards a relume or AR coat :Jumpy:

Agreed... not to mention the space those winders take up... and I have absolutely no where to put them... not even on top of the stacks of 1000s of records (they reach the ceiling in some cases!).

Yeah, and then it's $95 shipping outsida USA. :(

There is a real good write up by The Zigmeister in the knowledge section on automatics and maintenance. It is comprehensive and detailed and really helped me understand how different automatic movements work, which are best, and how to care for them. Basically, for most automatics, you cannot overwind them because of the clutch. In fact, The Zigmeister recommends winding new ones up to 100 'winds' before wearing them.

There is a real good write up by The Zigmeister in the knowledge section on automatics and maintenance. It is comprehensive and detailed and really helped me understand how different automatic movements work, which are best, and how to care for them. Basically, for most automatics, you cannot overwind them because of the clutch. In fact, The Zigmeister recommends winding new ones up to 100 'winds' before wearing them.

Actually the clutch CAN wear out, but it will take literally thousands of "over-winding" to do it.

Lets get this absolutely straight - a handwound watch obviously need to be wound about every 40 hours or so or it stops. An automatic, such as a 7750, also needs to be wound up before it is first worn - it is designed to be wound up - the instructions on a gen will tell you to do this - how else do you wind the mainspring enough to give a 40-50 hour reserve - the action of wearing them simply keeps the spring topped up once it has been wound initially. There is not enough movt of the rotor to wind a watch fully just by wearing it.

It is extremely unlikely that you will ever wear out components by winding the watch up during a reasonable lifetime - the balance cap jewels are far more likely to wear out long before then. My PAM 28 power reserve has to be wound if run down as just wearing it is not enough to even move the reserve indicator - but once wound the auto mechanism keeps it on max while I am wearing it.

The only rule to observe is with the 2892-3 movts - these need to be wound a little more slowly than say a 7750 due to the more sensitive clutch assembly.....