When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5218 201a dial

davidsenjpn

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

it isn't drawings, or graphic files that are the problem. In DSN case - it's the dial makers.

We need to somehow make sure they get it right, which is the biggest challenge of them all.

Pamman, enzo, ari etc...they all have awesome 99.9% 1:1 drawings, but until dial makers pull some extra effort in creating a 1:1 rep dial from the drawing, we're stuck with substandard and mediocre results.

Sorry for the rant...I though this was obvious...:)

cheers,

babola

EDIT: ...or nicely ask Lello to see if he can pull it off on the dial side as well...:)

Edited by babola

Guys,

it isn't drawings, or graphic files that are the problem. In DSN case - it's the dial makers.

We need to somehow make sure they get it right, which is the biggest challenge of them all.

Pamman, enzo, ari etc...they all have awesome 99.9% 1:1 drawings, but until dial makers pull some extra effort in creating a 1:1 rep dial from the drawing, we're stuck with substandard and mediocre results.

Sorry for the rant...I though this was obvious...:)

cheers,

babola

EDIT: ...or nicely ask Lello to see if he can pull it off on the dial side as well...:)

OK, lets do this.

I have talked to Lello about the printing side and that looks to be a runner. After all if his printer can get the numbers accurately lined up on a skinny datewheel then getting a simple Panerai dial printed properly will be a 'penalty kick'. So, don't be too concerned about the printing. If only Davidsen would get the engraving accurate then I don't care how badly his printing is carried out as, providing I can buy a dozen dials from him, I would just strip them and get then finished properly. However the engraving isn't looking too good.

The big question.......

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY CONTACT FOR GETTING ENGRAVING CARRIED OUT??? We are talking reasonably simple shapes at a fairly large size but the engraver needs to listen and understand that he shouldn't interpret anything, just copy the quirky lobsided shapes that the 'strange man' wants.....no improvements or smoothing out the curves etc. Can anyone suggest a CNC engraver? I have accurate 1:1 scans of the correct dial and loads of high resolution artwork but just need someone who can engarve simple shapes on brass. Doesn't sound too much but I haven't had any luck locally.

OK, lets do this.

I have talked to Lello about the printing side and that looks to be a runner. After all if his printer can get the numbers accurately lined up on a skinny datewheel then getting a simple Panerai dial printed properly will be a 'penalty kick'. So, don't be too concerned about the printing. If only Davidsen would get the engraving accurate then I don't care how badly his printing is carried out as, providing I can buy a dozen dials from him, I would just strip them and get then finished properly. However the engraving isn't looking too good.

The big question.......

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY CONTACT FOR GETTING ENGRAVING CARRIED OUT??? We are talking reasonably simple shapes at a fairly large size but the engraver needs to listen and understand that he shouldn't interpret anything, just copy the quirky lobsided shapes that the 'strange man' wants.....no improvements or smoothing out the curves etc. Can anyone suggest a CNC engraver? I have accurate 1:1 scans of the correct dial and loads of high resolution artwork but just need someone who can engarve simple shapes on brass. Doesn't sound too much but I haven't had any luck locally.

Are you sure lello's EU printer will print Panerai's name AND logo on a dial? If so, that's great!

There havet to be dozens of CNC shops in the states who could easily do this--and since there would be no branding on the dial there would be absolutely no trademark issues. If I had time to do it I would try Thomasnet. Your problem is going to be finding someone who will work in very small runs w/o killing you on setup fees which in my limited experience ordering CNC work is the significant part of short run jobs.

I also wonder if laser engraving is possible. That might be cheaper since setup costs would be lower. Just don't want to see this one go the way of the

Santos 100 Dial project...

Are you sure lello's EU printer will print Panerai's name AND logo on a dial? If so, that's great!

................. Just don't want to see this one go the way of the

Santos 100 Dial project...

I don't think that we will have any problem with the printing side of things.......that seems to be OK.

I don't want to see this disappearing either. I have put a lot of effort into this and have even bought a preA dial so that I have an actual dial with the correct preV / preA engraving as a reference. Therefore I certainly won't forget about this project but it may take a considerable time to sort out. I have been using a local engraving facility with a 'CNC' type machine to try to get the base dials right. However, so far thay have not been up to scratch. The most frustrating thing is that the overall finish of Davidsen's machined dial looks really good but the accuracy isn't there while my problem has been the reverse.

While is certainly want to get a good 5218/201A dial I think that we should also be interested in the preA T-SWISS-T dials which use the same engraved base. We already have the correct style crown guards etc to complete these watches and the dial printing is the same as the A to G series watches with the T SWISS T or L SWISS L altered to T-SWISS-T. If Davidsen would only sort out the 6 and 9 he could sell me a bunch of bare brass dials immediately.

Wow, DSN..

I think it looks better than 1st prototype.

I made 1:1 comparison images this time too... I wish this is a little bit be a help to making Perfect PAM!!

DSN 2nd dial and Gen overlap image

dsn201a-2.jpg

12 is looks perfect...

12.jpg

3 is perfect too!!

3.jpg

9 is little bit different.. but I think It's good.

9.jpg

6 is need to be adjustment...

6.jpg

Dude, i love these kinds of posts. That is cool as hell. This is an excellent thread. I have not bought a new PAM since my 063 2 years ago. If they actaully get this right, i am in like flint.

• 2 weeks later...
Don t know if you know this

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/panerai/carpediem/h...p;PreApam2.html

cheers helmut

This watch was recently being offered for sale as a gen 5218/201A but it is a Franken.

Yes, this highlights the difference in the thicker crown, thick crownguard (same as current series) and case, particularly the case lugs.

Interestingly the earlier rep cases were closer to the preVendome in that they had the more rounded lugs and higher, squarer corners. Don't forget that the preV cases hadn't threaded lugs but had a 2-screw set-up.

If I get the dial sorted I will use my first rep case (005) with the lugs drilled, plain sapphire crystal, 2.1mm Palp crown and a gen H series CG. I've got all the bits ready except for the dial and that's why Davidsen's inaccurate dial is driving me nuts.

New cnc engrave 201 dial not yet ready from re printing of logos.Hopefully I will get it back

in the next few days.

But other up garded parts are made and ready.Would like to show them to you first.

1.New case

New case been made with 2 pcs screw bars lugs.

DSCF6598.jpg

2.New Flat and Brushed CG been added to the new case

DSCF6602.jpg

3.new case back

DSCF6638.jpg

4.A pre A style leather straps with sew in buckle

DSCF6643.jpg

I simply use my first generation sandwich dial to put all thes new parts together .

Hope you like the outcome.

DSCF6627.jpg

DSCF6633.jpg

DSCF6635.jpg

Will post new pics of the new dial soon.

Edited by davidsenjpn

All I can Say that It is stunning. Who says What ever.............

As you said you are not making 1:1 gen Just the rep and It looks OK .. 0.01 mm smaller or bigger... These are a toy story who is gonna size with how...?

keep up working bro You are the Noumber One...Italians at frienze should learn alot of tricky from you my friend

I just spoke yesterday to my printer about this issue.

He answered that he is not willing to make dials from scratch, but he won't have any problem to re print existent dials, even with names and logos.

The screws and lug holes look odd. The hole in each lug should be exactly the same size as the unthreaded hole in the current cases and short screw at each end should be the same thickness as the current screws. However the central bar should be the same thickness as the current tubes but should be solid and threaded at each end to accept the short screws. If anyone has any difficulty visualising the correct preV arrangement simply insert a normal screw into a normal tube and ignore the threaded end. The other end with the screw slot looks like the genuine preV 2-screw setup when it is assembled.

The set up that Davidsen has posted seems to be of uniform thickness throughout with the lug holes too large. This will mean that the central section will not be secured between the lugs unless he is proposing a stepped hole in the lug with only the narrow threaded part of the short screw passing through to the central bar. If that is the proposed arrangement it would work but will be unnecessarily compilcated and results in the screw heads and lug holes being noticably too large

I just spoke yesterday to my printer about this issue.

He answered that he is not willing to make dials from scratch, but he won't have any problem to re print existent dials, even with names and logos.

Not to threadjack - but does that mean that we (anyone) has to provide the right art files and dial blanks - and he will print it?