When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Much Time

Victoria

Total Time Spent on Watches By You  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Non-Modders Only; Not Including Reading RWG etc.

• 1 hr per day
    • 2-3 hrs per day
    • 4-5 hrs per day
    • Way Too Embarrassed To Admit It

Stephane's recent answer to Sssurfer, about caring for his watches so much, that he wanted them to go to a good home since they got no personal time at all (heh), is a common occurence with watch hobbyists.

So, a poll.

How much total time do you spend on this watch addiction, per day, do you reckon?

This can include buffing, changing straps, browsing sites for more watches, SOME modding, etc., BUT DOES NOT INCLUDE READING WATCH FORUMS.

While I am by no means a watchsmith, I do spend a lot of time "fiddling" with my watches to include cleaning them, changing straps and just lovingly looking at them gleaming in the watch case.

Would it be indiscrete to ask how many you have by now, LR? :)

I just purchased my 75th...this doesn't include the gens we have, so you can imagine -- this is an incredible amount of watches/time spent. I am waiting for Christmas to get more winders.

In the beginning, I was overwhelmed. Now, I have a rota, and don't polish the watches as I used to, for obvious lotion rash reasons.

All and all, I am down to about 1 hour and a smidge spent on the watches per day. Not TOO bad.

Would it be indiscrete to ask how many you have by now, LR? :)

I just purchased my 75th...this doesn't include the gens we have, so you can imagine -- this is an incredible amount of watches/time spent. I am waiting for Christmas to get more winders.

In the beginning, I was overwhelmed. Now, I have a rota, and don't polish the watches as I used to, for obvious lotion rash reasons.

All and all, I am down to about 1 hour and a smidge spent on the watches per day. Not TOO bad.

75?!?!?! WOW!!! Total including gens I have about 25, about 17 of those are reps.

75?!?!?! WOW!!!

I did a mental calculation the other day. It was about 69. I've since bought 6 more, so that's ABOUT right. I'm actually a little embarrassed to count them all. ;)

(Remember, too I have bought for both my parents, friends, and boyfriend...so I count those)

Total including gens I have about 25, about 17 of those are reps.

Dude, that's A LOT. I mean, no one can use me as a measuring stick. I'm way out there in Tanfo-land.

17 reps is an ungodly number for normal peeps. Congrats!! ...how many of those are automatics, and do you have a lot of winders?

(Because ladies watches are often quartz, I don't have to bother so much about winding my watches like you chaps do)

Okay, guys, please allow me to address a growing problem I have with some members. I'm a fairly frank person, and like to lay my cards out on the table so there's no doubt as to where I stand.

Those of you who follow me around, posting annoying, picky little comments about me look really bad.

You act like jilted lovers, or little chihuahuas snapping at the heels of passersby.

You look really stupid, and very unmanly, I have to say regrettably. I could not in a million years conceive my father doing such a thing to anyone -- there is a level of maturity that is quite lacking, and I've had quite enough of it.

So this is how it goes.

I'm putting certain people in my "Ignore" list. You know why? Because life is too short to deal with malcontents, idiots, and the obsessed.

I come here for fun. To add some spice to a hobby, same as the rest. I don't need this crap from anyone, just as assuredly as I don't treat anyone in this manner. I'm here for the watches and camaraderie. Full stop.

Once again.

You're about to disappear from my universe. You never really existed for me, and you will exist less now. You're a nil in my life. I never really addressed you before, but I surely will not address you from now on.

So there we are.

Hope we're crystal from hereonin. Thanks for your attention, guys.

In an average day, I spend hardly any time with my watches at all, other than wearing one, and occasionally glancing at the collection. If I do change straps, then maybe a few minutes doing that, then it's back to business as usual :) I don't really 'chop and change' much, so it is literaly a case of spending a few minutes once in a while changing the strap, and then putting it back on :) I think the most time I actually spend is taking photos and loading them for the wrist-checks :lol: That said, with my PAMs, they do get treated to a few moments 'off the wrist attention time' around midnight, as that's when I wind them, and then charge the lume to last me through the night :)

In an average day, I spend hardly any time with my watches at all, other than wearing one, and occasionally glancing at the collection.

Obviously then, you must have a winder? You have the older Omega SMP which was quartz, I know, but the others all need some TLC.

If I do change straps, then maybe a few minutes doing that, then it's back to business as usual :)

YEAH RIGHT. A few minutes. You just wait until you have a wider selection, my friend, which you will quite soon. Those minutes will turn into half-hours. Emily will be right snarky. ;)

I don't really 'chop and change' much, so it is literaly a case of spending a few minutes once in a while changing the strap, and then putting it back on :) I think the most time I actually spend is taking photos and loading them for the wrist-checks :lol:

I liked your Wristcheck today!

That said, with my PAMs, they do get treated to a few moments 'off the wrist attention time' around midnight, as that's when I wind them, and then charge the lume to last me through the night :)

:o

You sleep with your watch on?? Even I don't do that. I'm scared of scratching or drooling on them. Oops, TMI. Sorry.

...what am I talking about? This is the guy who answered in the famous "Do you wear your watch during Sex?" thread. :p

Obviously then, you must have a winder? You have the older Omega SMP which was quartz, I know, but the others all need some TLC.

Nope, no winder, I just give them a shake as needed, but other than that, don't keep them all running all the time. As someone once said in another topic on the issue, you wouldn't keep a car on a rolling road to keep the engine going, and then get in it to actually drive it :D

Also, none of my SMPs are quartz... The 2531.80 I have (which is the older model) is the automatic counterpart of the 2431.80. The quartz 2431.80 was what Pierce Brosnan wore in GoldenEye, but in Tomorrow Never Dies, he was wearing the automatic 2531.80 :)

YEAH RIGHT. A few minutes. You just wait until you have a wider selection, my friend, which you will quite soon. Those minutes will turn into half-hours. Emily will be right snarky. ;)

:lol: We'll have to wait and see :lol: I've never been one to do 'change for the sake of change', so I tend to wear a certain watch or watch/strap combo for a while as a beater, only then changing for a special occasion, or a definite wardrobe shift. I tend to wear tan/brown shoes most of the time, so unless I'm wearing black shoes, I tend to keep the straps brown (if possible for the watch) As for Emily getting snarky, she's already quite keen to have a go at the fuss I give my watches, but, I can always counter that with the fuss she gives her collections of rocks and gems :D

I liked your Wristcheck today!

Thanks :) I'm getting ready to do 'the photoshoot' for the Panerai Area which will (hopefully) showcase the watch to it's full :)

:o

You sleep with your watch on?? Even I don't do that. I'm scared of scratching or drooling on them. Oops, TMI. Sorry.

...what am I talking about? This is the guy who answered in the famous "Do you wear your watch during Sex?" thread. :p

:lol: I do indeed :lol: Part of it, is, as mentioned in that thread, if it's a practice good enough for James Bond, it's good enough for me, but the other part, is that I don't like to be without a watch on for too long, as I like to know what the time is (not quite an OCD, but more compulsion than habit) and at night, I don't like having to turn a light on to check the time, as a sudden light when my eyes are totally relaxed and dilated is a tad painfull, so it's as easy for me to keep my watch on, and, that also saves fumbling round on a nightstand and knocking stuff onto the floor ;) I just find it the easiest option all round :)

Maybe I misunderstood the initial question but I count my time as TTK. I might spend an hour getting my watches wiped, wound or set for the day but the amount of time I spend online with these forums is down right embarrassing. I don't work a normal schedule so when I am off it is for 6 weeks straight. Now at work I am starting to Supervise and I have internet access and no adult supervision. It is ridiculous the sheer amount of time I have spent in the last year on these forums. I love it though.

I just ordered my first watch from PureTime. I spend about 2 hours a day refreshing the EMS tracking info page, even though it tells me the same thing each time. :angry:

Psst. ;)

Don't worry, Tnakasaki. May I also preempt any future post of yours, asking why it's taking so long, why doesn't the message change, etc. Not to be nasty, but rather to help you.

When you're a newbie, especially when you are ordering the first few watches, one tends to obsess about these details. Don't. It will just elevante your pressure.

EMS is notoriously unreliable, and often we are wearing our watches when EMS still says it's stuck in "Guangzhou Depot". :lol:

Since you're from Hawaii (aloha, mahalo, Don Ho, Lanikai!), use the USPS website instead. It's SLIGHTLY more accurate.

Remember that any delivery from China, or the Far East is minimum normally 7 days. It's a miracle to get it before that, and a blessing within 2 weeks. Only at 1 month should you start to worry (though that doesn't mean you can't apprise the collector you brought it from, as a heads up).

So, relax a tad, and enjoy the wait. It's the best part of the junky-addiction to rep watches. :p

Thank you... well I guess the angry face was inappropriate :D I'm just really excited about it and everything. I'm just getting into these mechanical watches now. I have a BUNCH of digital watches that tell you how far you ran and your heart rate and stuff. But they don't compare to cool watches that wind themselves

Thanks for the info about the reliability of EMS and USPS and stuff, I appreciate it!

I just ordered my first watch from PureTime. I spend about 2 hours a day refreshing the EMS tracking info page, even though it tells me the same thing each time. :angry:

Aloha Mai... tnakasaki..

my deliveries take 4 day's, 2 to three day's after it has been posted..... EMS has the same info as USPS.. only difference may be after the parcel leaves customs... .. remember that tracking will start 3 day's after you get the tracking number (max) this is due to the "forwarders"... if the parcel goes to SFO .. customs takes longer there .. LAX the parcel with fly through customs... reason is for another time....

the weekend is coming up so forget deliveries on Saturday if your parcel is leaving customs this afternoon.. Monday... and remember tracking is updated in every 24 hour cycle.. so once in the morning is plenty to check your tracking

china Post works 7 day's a week, not here..so if your delivery falls on the weekend an additional day or two.. i have a parcel that arrived at my business center yesterday .. it left China Monday .. (it was Tuesday in China)... PM me if you want i need more information to make any other statement...(from experience).. since it's coming from China.. every region in the US will differ in Delivery time.. and again it all depends on the "forwarders" in China.. Pm me and I will try and explain how this works... :)

I am always wearing at least one watch. So, the 'hobby' is always with me. Even if I am not 'focused' on it.

Total count... about 500, another 100 or so dials, and perhaps 20 uncased movements in various states of repair/assembly, several cases, bracelets, miscellany...

current REPs? 1. Got that from TMG. Gave away the few other reps I had acquired over the last month or so...

Still building the only important rep... ( I spend one hour per day on this )

Current 'electric' 5.

Current quartz? 0. Gave the only two quartz I owned (Ronda moon phase) away last week.

Time spent? Yes.

Okay, guys, please allow me to address a growing problem I have with some members. I'm a fairly frank person, and like to lay my cards out on the table so there's no doubt as to where I stand.

Those of you who follow me around, posting annoying, picky little comments about me look really bad.

You act like jilted lovers, or little chihuahuas snapping at the heels of passersby.

You look really stupid, and very unmanly, I have to say regrettably. I could not in a million years conceive my father doing such a thing to anyone -- there is a level of maturity that is quite lacking, and I've had quite enough of it.

So this is how it goes.

I'm putting certain people in my "Ignore" list. You know why? Because life is too short to deal with malcontents, idiots, and the obsessed.

I come here for fun. To add some spice to a hobby, same as the rest. I don't need this crap from anyone, just as assuredly as I don't treat anyone in this manner. I'm here for the watches and camaraderie. Full stop.

Once again.

You're about to disappear from my universe. You never really existed for me, and you will exist less now. You're a nil in my life. I never really addressed you before, but I surely will not address you from now on.

So there we are.

Hope we're crystal from hereonin. Thanks for your attention, guys.

I think the boys are a bit shocked after their B0llocking. My watches receive a clean once a week. 12 of.