When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My newest Rolex acquisition

By-Tor

This extremely rare "Noob" GMT rep was for sale at RWG by Raimondo68. I was amazed that nobody grabbed it, because the price was great.

This and Explorer II from the same factory have amazing SELs, correct date mag, exceptionally good rehaut thickness and depth. Best I've ever seen (for the GMT).

Sorry for the asolutely crap photo. I didn't have decent lighting.

IMG_7231.jpg

It also has virtually perfect dial (gen on the right).

wt2-14.jpg

The crown guards are bad for this model, which require some easy mods.

I had another replacement bezel with sharp teeth from bklm, replaced the bad insert and I modified the crown guards myself.

Now I have two of these beauties, and don't have to exchange the bezels anymore. Couldn't be happier. Next: Genuine crown(s). ;)

img_7219.jpg

1.jpg

2a.jpg

Good looking GMT, what movement is in this watch?

ETA 2836-2.

Stephane owns the correct stack version with genuine dial.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=55915

The watch needs mods, but this might be the best base Rolex ever (along with the old version ExpII). The crystal & rehaut thickness look amazing. I'm referring to this area:

3d_3.jpg

Replicating this properly has been negleted on most Rolex replicas, and I think it's very important detail. At least for me.

PS: I have no idea if this watch is still in production. Precious Time can't source it any longer. I was lucky to find another one.

Congrats BT ;)

A Trilogy is a great idea :D

Thanks mate. :)

Just for the record: I didn't remove the crown & stem to modify the crown guards. I was going to, but I couldn't find a 1.2mm screwdriver from anywhere (to release the stem).

So I bought extremely thin hand file, unscrewed the crown to the time set position and carefully filed the insides, using only the tip of the file. There was enough space to just straighten the inside guards.

Here's my tool:

IMG_7243.jpg

Here's the cg's. They're pretty much spot on for a 16710 now. I'm not sure if I'm the first one who modded the cg's this way. :lol:

IMG_7249.jpg

Here's how they look unmodified on this rep model (photo by RobbieG). Way too thick and triangular. Also notice the dull bezel with smooth teeth. That is a "must" modification for this rep. It improves the overall look a lot, although you couldn't really "spot" it easily.

186614-5775.jpg

Thanks guys.

I think this could be the correct time to get one of these (if you ever will). It might be too late soon. Precious Time sold 150 or 200 of these to the membership, but said it's impossible to get this model anymore. This just popped up in the sales section and I reacted fast. I'm sure there will be more available through member trades.

According to Angus the factories aren't going to concentrate on the 16710 anymore (now that it's out of production). The dealers will probably still have the 16710 reps on sale, but the reps will be just the that conical/wokky sh*te.

This same factory made the Noobmariner, that outstading YM (see bklm's review) and Explorer II (the old amazing version). I wish they'd done the new SeaDweller too.

PS: If you don't know how to do the mods, get the "Retro" version by Joshua. It's very good out of the box (save the rehaut thickness). The old TW Best versions are good bases as well. But not as good as this (imho).