When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tattoos

TeeJay

It was created to protect me from all sorts of bad things.

Obviously isn't working.....tell me...do you think it was 'the one'.....:lol:

So much pain....so little gain...!

The Louvre / Prada etc etc are full of some of the most wonderful works of art....created by the greatest masters that lived...yet none of them compare to the wonder of the human body.....NO other species on this planet exhibits such diversity....from white skin to black...red hair to jet black.....eye colours that are wonderfully diverse......NO other creature approaches the diverse beauty of mankind.....every pore...every hair....every freckle...spot..whatever......is maginificent even in it's imperfection....whilst I don't believe in GOD...I believe that something created the building blocks for this diversity...and when they did...they created us perfectly....albeit in an imperfect way....they created the greatest masterpiece this planet has seen.....you wouldn't take a paint spray to La Gioconda or to a Vermeer ....or to an Albrecht Durer masterpiece would you......why would you ruin the greatest work of art ever created .....why ruin perfection.....makes no sense to me.....besides which I follow Confucian doctrine......which says.... "Body, hair and skin we have received from our father and mother...... not to injure them is the beginning of filial piety......to preserve one's body is to revere god"

Obviously isn't working.....tell me...do you think it was 'the one'.....:lol:

They are all 'the one'... ;)

So much pain....so little gain...!

To me... there is gain in everything I do ;)

No pain, no gain ^_^

TTK -

How did I know you were going to go there? :lol: You were supposed to grin and bear it. ;)

We all know this will never happen.... c'est impossible :dots:

Actually, I have a bit of a pictorial.... Sorry TTK ;) Just try to grin and bear it.,.. we aren't ALL criminals and paupers ;)

The pain was bearable (obviously), although definitely much different from the even feeling pressure of a gun. After a while, the pain turns to numb. This has healed perfectly, and 3 years later, the lines are still extremely sharp.

This yant was created by a monk in Northern Thailand, Chiang Rai district, for me alone... They are written in ancient Khmer script and the language used is Pali.

The artist is a great guy from Chiang Rai City.... the work I've seen from him is amazing!

It was created to protect me from all sorts of bad things... and to give me good luck in all sorts of good things... so far so good...

That's absolutely fantastic, thanks for sharing the experience :) Would I be correct in thinking that every detail, including lines, was done by single presses of the implement? (looks like sharpened bamboo)

That's absolutely fantastic, thanks for sharing the experience :) Would I be correct in thinking that every detail, including lines, was done by single presses of the implement? (looks like sharpened bamboo)

Thanks TeeJay.... Yes, the whole yant was done with single taps. He used a long piece of bamboo with a sharp piece of metal inserted in the end.

the feeling of the needles against the skin is electrifying.. there is a thin line between pleasure and pain... my Polynesian arm ban took 3 hours.. this was many years ago .. and i fell asleep while my friend was inking it. in a strange way it felt rather soothing..he was offended and tried to press deeper...

it has always been people whom I've know for a while that have done the work on me.. not retail tat shops.. my one vision is to have a elder (kupuna) do work on my entire quad and down my calf.. you spend time with him and talk about your ancestors in Hawaii and the trials and changes that took place then he does a story with Hawaiian design chronicalling the generations of your family this sitting takes about 8 to 12 hours..so obviously someday when I have the extra time it is something that I would like to have done.

I'm not so much into colour but do have one on my shoulder of the "elements" water, fire .. wind wrapped around an Asian dragon .. my back is yet to be done.. but what I have in mind is a Japanese art piece with the story of the great waves destroying the Mongol hordes.. on just half of the back.. from spine to latissimus D. ... the Chinese dragon on my left arm is arranged so when my flexor muscles move on my arm the dragon comes alive with movement..my right shoulder blade from my trapezus to just before my elbow is tribal... down to a medieval dragon... looking into another tribal with the harley emblem inside of it...

In ancient japan there are legends of tatoo artist that could tattoo (women) warriors and the tatoo would become visible only when sexually aroused or at times of high adrenaline.. so when in battle the warrior would pull back her garment and then the tatoo would start to appear, the opponent would be staring at a bare breast with the tatoo and in that split second of disstraction .. slice and dice...imagine if men today had that done on their arms .. i think we would be walking around with the tatoo showing all the time :lol:

many friends have been back to their home village in Samoa for tatoos that honour their accomplishments .. they become Chiefs... the higher the ranking the more tatooing they have around their waist and down their legs.. it is done with bone and as the scab is healing they are to go into the ocean and scrub.. :blink: .. imagine salt water on the area that has been worked on..and show no sign of pain.. outwardly anyway

there is a fully illustrated book out of japan by a very famous Tatoo artist. he got seniors to let him tattoo their entire body for free with one agreement... they must will thier "skin " to him when they die... he then skins them whole cures the "body suit" in solutions in big vats.. and draps them for from as if on a real live person ... on translucent manicans (sic) and puts them on display. i have seen the book but didn't really want to pursue getting one.. it did interest the morbid side of human nature though .. i will admit that..

anyway.. thanks for the post TJ.. and nice ink on you... black and red always looks good on tribal.. if your wondering...

Never understood the appeal behind tattoos... especially among young people who will probably regret it down the road. I must admit some of the artwork is really nice and I like it, but the though of it being permanent makes me cringe. I'm the kind of person who changes his mind in a snap, and can only make quick (sometimes irrational decisions).

Never understood the appeal behind tattoos... especially among young people who will probably regret it down the road. I must admit some of the artwork is really nice and I like it, but the though of it being permanent makes me cringe. I'm the kind of person who changes his mind in a snap, and can only make quick (sometimes irrational decisions).

sounds like a personal problem :lol:

anyway.. thanks for the post TJ.. and nice ink on you... black and red always looks good on tribal.. if your wondering...

Thanks, that was a really informative post, a lot of information I didn't know, especially about the scrubbing of the tattoos :) Indeed, red definitely goes well with tribal. I think the 'Kryptonite' tattoos I have planned will look okay, as the design will be complementary/negative image of what I have done (I also get to include a green crescent, to represent my conversion to Islam ^_^ )

(and before anyone says anything, yes, I know tattoos are supposedly forbidden to Muslims, but, that is only going by the opinions/guidance of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, not by actual 'commandment' laid out in the Holy Qur'an, indeed, one passage in the Holy Qur'an specifically says: Their guidance is not thine affair, O Muhammad: But Allah guideth whom he pleaseth. So in all honesty, a Muslim need only look to the Holy Qur'an for guidance on what is or is nor forbidden, and not necessarily to the opinions of the Prophet.)

That could be why uou don't understand the appeal behind tattoos :) Sometimes, people want permanant things, to distract from scars, or to comemorate special occasions. Of course, it is quite funny to see the typical jocks with their 'tribal armbands' or Chinese and Japanese characters :lol:

Thanks, that was a really informative post, a lot of information I didn't know, especially about the scrubbing of the tattoos :) Indeed, red definitely goes well with tribal. I think the 'Kryptonite' tattoos I have planned will look okay, as the design will be complementary/negative image of what I have done (I also get to include a green crescent, to represent my conversion to Islam ^_^ )

(and before anyone says anything, yes, I know tattoos are supposedly forbidden to Muslims, but, that is only going by the opinions/guidance of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, not by actual 'commandment' laid out in the Holy Qur'an, indeed, one passage in the Holy Qur'an specifically says: Their guidance is not thine affair, O Muhammad: But Allah guideth whom he pleaseth. So in all honesty, a Muslim need only look to the Holy Qur'an for guidance on what is or is nor forbidden, and not necessarily to the opinions of the Prophet.)

That could be why uou don't understand the appeal behind tattoos :) Sometimes, people want permanant things, to distract from scars, or to comemorate special occasions. Of course, it is quite funny to see the typical jocks with their 'tribal armbands' or Chinese and Japanese characters :lol:

I had mine--a not-too-intersting or skillfully apllied black panther on my left rear shoulder removed a few years ago, since it's it's significace was known only to the drunken 21 yr old marine that got it...and he forgot what it was by the next morning. :lol: I'm all for tatoos, especially if they mean something to the person wearing them, although like a buddy of mine told a stripper:..."I'd love to be in the room when your great-grandkid asks, "'Grammy, why do you have a picture of barbed wire wrapped around your arm?'"

like a buddy of mine told a stripper:..."I'd love to be in the room when your great-grandkid asks, "'Grammy, why do you have a picture of barbed wire wrapped around your arm?'"

Indeed. The barbed wire biceps and the meaninglessly random scroll work above the butt crack are my two "favorites" on the ladies.... And here's one I simply don't understand - caucasians with tattoos of oriental characters that translate to English phrases like "strength and courage" or "long life." I can only wonder if the following case is a good indication of the thought process in general: http://www.zug.com/pranks/tattoo/index.html ?

I had mine--a not-too-intersting or skillfully apllied black panther on my left rear shoulder removed a few years ago, since it's it's significace was known only to the drunken 21 yr old marine that got it...and he forgot what it was by the next morning. :lol: I'm all for tatoos, especially if they mean something to the person wearing them, although like a buddy of mine told a stripper:..."I'd love to be in the room when your great-grandkid asks, "'Grammy, why do you have a picture of barbed wire wrapped around your arm?'"

:lol:

By that time, I'm sure the great-grandkids will have full Japanese sleeves ;)

PS Anyone who would tattoo someone that was intoxicated, isn't much of an artist... You mentioned it's not too interesting or skillfully applied, had you thought of having it re-worked by a better artist, who could tidy up the design and then expand it into a more artistic piece? (Possible starting point for a Japanese-style half-sleeve, perhaps?)

Indeed. The barbed wire biceps and the meaninglessly random scroll work above the butt crack are my two "favorites" on the ladies....

The best kind of 'ass-antlers' are the ones which are still visible when the lady is wearing pulled up jeans. When they're nude, it looks like the design is 'floating' halfway up their back :lol: Properly positioned 'ass-antlers' should closely follow (even be directy on) the upper curve of the buttocks)

And here's one I simply don't understand - caucasians with tattoos of oriental characters that translate to English phrases like "strength and courage" or "long life." I can only wonder if the following case is a good indication of the thought process in general: http://www.zug.com/pranks/tattoo/index.html ?

Yup, that's always good for a chuckle, I mean, why have script done in a language one can't understand? If I recall, the script on David Beckham's inner left arm, is supposed to read 'Victoria', but, is actually how the name would be phonetically spelled in that language, so not actually accurate at all ;)

Yup, that's always good for a chuckle, I mean, why have script done in a language one can't understand? If I recall, the script on David Beckham's inner left arm, is supposed to read 'Victoria', but, is actually how the name would be phonetically spelled in that language, so not actually accurate at all ;)

I like the explanation from the ever eloquent Maddox (paraphrasing) : If it said "long life" in English, it would look stupid. But done in Chinese characters, it somehow looks cool and mysterious. :rofl:

I like the explanation from the ever eloquent Maddox (paraphrasing) : If it said "long life" in English, it would look stupid. But done in Chinese characters, it somehow looks cool and mysterious. :rofl:

That's as good an explanation as I've ever heard :lol:

i never really had any desire to get a tattoo. being very involved in the local music and art scene i have lots of friends with LOTS of ink. some who think "it's tuesday!" is a good excuse for a new tattoo ;)

then last summer while going thru a lot of changes in my life i was sitting in a cafe on a lovely morning reading p.g. wodehouse and i looked down and 'saw' this on my right forearm? a very strange feeling. so i thought about it for over two months and then made an appointment with a local artist who is a friend, and she had a cancellation the next day (normally she is booked 10-12 months in advance) and i did it. synchronicity B)

this pic was taken about a half hour after it was finished.

i have never regretted it for one moment and it serves as a reminder to me every day...

standard.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are three fellows sporting some skin art. No doubt they are not sporting their pinkie fingers any longer. No tats for me although my daughter wants to be a tattoo artist. She will be a good one I'm sure.

yakuzaganginjapanpo3.jpg

yakuzaganginjapanpo3.08bc3adeb7.jpg