When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Now This Puts Rep V Gen In Perspective

This particular epiphany came on in stages for me.

First, I decided to reorganize and put my Rolexes in one box (using an O&W Chrono as a place holder for the SD I am wearing).

post-223-1149463242_thumb.jpg

Then I thought - "That's freakin nutz, why would anybody spend that much money on that many watches."

That. of course, caused me to ponder, "How much have I spent on rep Rolexes anyway." Twenty watches at $250-300 a watch (and the bands/deployment clasps) must be $5000 to $6000.

Then I realized, for about a thousand more, I could have had this instead:

post-223-1149463665_thumb.jpg

USED!!!!!!

So, Would I rather have this: post-223-1149463242_thumb.jpg

Or, this: post-223-1149463665_thumb.jpg PLUS Bugger'n by Uncle Rollie post-223-1149465487_thumb.jpg

Such a deal

Bill

I had the same thoughts about my collection as you. I could have a gen for all that I've spent. The problem now is that I can now afford a gen, but if I spend to money to get one, I'm going to feel like it deserves most of my wrist time, so all the nice reps I have will be wasted.

The challenge is to limit yourself to 6-12 great reps. That way your investment is minimal, each watch gets worn once a week or so, and you have variety. When I see people with 20+ reps it means to me that they haven't discovered what it is that they like yet. FOr me, at first I was buying everything in sight. Now, I have a particular jones for daytonas, I focus on getting the best examples out there plus a couple other types for variety, and then any further purchasing I do is to replace a current rep with a better version.

I tend to keep my rep collection low only 6-8 watches (currently only

5 left DW6263, MBW1665, PVD009 coming -knock on wood- 116520 & 16610 that I try to part with) plus two 6263 projects that I die to see finalised!

I try to get the best model out there now, because I plan to keep them as a base collection even if the 116520 is probably not reliable in the long run.

I also try to perform all the mods needed to get as close as possible to the gen it demnds money that keeps me away from buying new reps every months...I believe I'm now 3-5 reps away from completing a nice collection.

I found that the first rep I bought was also my first expensive gen: Monaco Mcqueen, I will probably put myself on the SS daytona wait list in the next months if it is possible...

I'll try to always buy gen what can't be duplicated because the movement is not used in the rep: like El primero's movements, VJ72's, F Piguet's, 2894s