When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scared Of The 7750, Is It A Founded Fear?

squeaker

I so want to buy an Avenger Chrono, Pam 212, or any other number of chrono watches but they all get the 7750 movt. thaat I read so many bad things about.

If I buy one of these and pretty much never use the chronos will the watch continue to tell good time and date or will it always have the high potential of taking a crap on me?

If I buy one and it dies in a month or two what good reliable options do I have?

Thanks

I think it'll be fine, without using chronos, or you may want to get it serviced pretty early on.

If it dies, put in an ETA 7750 if the watch is any good :)

I think it'll be fine, without using chronos, or you may want to get it serviced pretty early on.

If it dies, put in an ETA 7750 if the watch is any good :)

I agree, you can always get a new movement if this one fails, so the watch won't be rendered useless.

Let's hope the new Asian 7750 that everyone's talking about will become the standard in the near future, this would take alot of the worry out of buying a chrono for most people I think.

Let's hope the new Asian 7750 that everyone's talking about will become the standard in the near future, this would take alot of the worry out of buying a chrono for most people I think.

You mean the one that is sometimes delivered dry?

You mean the one that is sometimes delivered dry?

Well, good point, but it still sounds like it's an improvement on the older one, which I think is a move in the right direction.

I'm certainly not suggesting that there's no point in getting it serviced.

I'm certainly not suggesting that there's no point in getting it serviced.

Ok, a serviced 7750@28 is the best value for money, but the service needs to be costed in.

In an ideal world, we'd have a dealer offering pre-serviced 7750@28s with a warranty.

Ok, a serviced 7750@28 is the best value for money, but the service needs to be costed in.

What in your opinion is a reasonable amount to service these movements??....I finally got my 212 running again but not well.....It is showing the same characteristics as a 50 yr old mechanical movement that has dried out...very low amplitude, and running very fast!!..Now that The Zigmeister is on holiday, and RBJ is overloaded with work, and there are nothing but "battery changers" in my 'hood...Do you have any suggestions??...Frank :rolleyes:

Well if Josh is preservicing the rolex eta's, I cant see why he wouldnt expand his service eventually to the 7750 models. I dont mind the cost of getting it serviced, but I absolutely dread the hassle of getting a watch I am all excited about and then having to ship it right out for servicing with the risks associated with shipping (i.e., lost in mail, dmaged in mail, or customs). I know the shipping risks are rare when just sending it out for servicing, but it is still a concern. Plus, when I get that new watch, I just love to wear it...not send it out.

Edit: @squeaker, you can also read alot about the 7750 on THIS THREAD

There is so much confusion about the asian 7750. For example, we know that they generally ship dry when modified with seconds at 6, according to The Zigmeister this is to improve the power of the movement (short-sighted as it may be), but do we know that the non-modified movements are also shipping dry? The ones without the extra gears? It seems to me that those movements should be OK.

I've had 2 7750s with the extra gears for seconds at 6 and both suck. That has kind of put me off them but I wonder about the non-modified ones, maybe they are OK.

From my own experience they are all generally well made but fall down on silly things like gears seperating from posts and dirt. The 7750 in the 212 is a lot better finished than the earlier movts that were in the 188/196 etc.

The best ones I have seen are the new 7750P1 type movts. These are found in the non chrono date/sub secs models like the PAM 24. They are a stripped down version with all the chrono gears and linkages removed and blanking plates in their place just like the gen 7750P1. I was amazed at the finish and quality of them and have no reason to think about upgrading them at all. They should last and last as it was normally the chrono function that suffered in them.

Last I heard (I think it was around last nov), The Zigmeister was "taking a break" from servicing the Asian 7750's.....has he started servicing them again?

Seems a bit steep, as my Swiss-certified watchmaker charges only $60 for a full service, including strip-down, cleaning and lubrication.

Last I heard (I think it was around last nov), The Zigmeister was "taking a break" from servicing the Asian 7750's.....has he started servicing them again?

Wasn't it just 7750-based Daytonas?

Seems a bit steep, as my Swiss-certified watchmaker charges only $60 for a full service, including strip-down, cleaning and lubrication.

Wow, even on Chronos?

From my own experience they are all generally well made but fall down on silly things like gears seperating from posts and dirt. The 7750 in the 212 is a lot better finished than the earlier movts that were in the 188/196 etc.

The best ones I have seen are the new 7750P1 type movts. These are found in the non chrono date/sub secs models like the PAM 24. They are a stripped down version with all the chrono gears and linkages removed and blanking plates in their place just like the gen 7750P1. I was amazed at the finish and quality of them and have no reason to think about upgrading them at all. They should last and last as it was normally the chrono function that suffered in them.

Oooh... so this P1 style might be coming with my new PAM 222?

if it's $60 for a chrono watch, then he probably just dip the movement in oil and put it back in the watch (which is as good as no servicing at all)

I know $175 is a lot, but there is so much work done on those movement. Btw local watchmaker often ask over $300 for the same job.

$60USD seems low for servicing any watch... but way to low for a chrono. Unless its a friends price, but even then I would be wary unless you're buying him steak dinners occasionally.

Joshua may not provide serviced 7750's because it is more time consuming then the ETA.

$175 for servicing/overhaul on a chronograph movement is a damn good price. In my experience, I've found that there are a lot of watchmakers charging double that, or sometimes more to do a comparable job. For the work and expertise that Rob (Ziggy) offers, his prices are a bargain.

$175 for servicing/overhaul on a chronograph movement is a damn good price. In my experience, I've found that there are a lot of watchmakers charging double that, or sometimes more to do a comparable job. For the work and expertise that Rob (Ziggy) offers, his prices are a bargain.

Agreed, that's a great price. I have 2 guys I take my genuines to and they charge $300 for a 3 hand movement and $400 for a chrono overhaul. Oh and one more thing, they won't even discuss working on replicas. That's why Ziggy is such a valuable resource. He could make a fortune socking those of us with few or no options for service but not only does he do it, but he does it way below the market price.

Without a doubt the Asian 7750 has had issues, perhaps in the past. I have watches that have arrived with that movement that did not work out of the box, stopped a few days after getting the watch or ended up with unaligned hands. Recently I have broken my rule of only buying Swiss 7750's with the Arktos from EL and all has been well for now.........time will tell!!!

For the frustration factor I still think it is better to go Swiss!!!

TimeShare