When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ever had the One Rep that did you in?

kdx_time

Ever had that one special Rep to end all REPS... at least for a long time?

I am a WIS through and through, so my collection is mostly gens, always revolving but can be as diverse as Omegas to Seikos, Casio to Accutron, etc...

I've been whittling them down because I will probably be moving soon, but even as I check this forum out, there is that one watch I keep coming back to...

My Replica Breitling SFSO (Swiss version with AR) from Josh. The damn thing just keeps too perfect time, and is just so darn convincing and comfy on the wrist sometimes I wonder why I have so many watches! If it just had regular (long lasting) watch lume and maybe a better bezel pearl, it would be damn near perfect in my book.

I still check out other reps here and there but out of all my reps and gens, the SFSO always finds it's way to my wrist. I could kick myself for almost selling it a while back to fund another rep. I'd sooner spend the money to have it professionally lumed.

Any of you out there found THE ONE when it comes to your Replicas?

k

Every new rep I buy is like this for a while, I'm wearing my new UPO now and I'll be wearing it for a while. I wear my Tag Link Chrono at work so that is the one that gets the most wrist time it gets worn 4/5 days a week during the day. Much as I love it I still change to something else when I get home. Not sure it counts as "THE ONE" if it did I wouldn't be changing it when I got home.

The quality on the SOSF realy blows me away every time i look at it. We will see on the Ingy but i anm very impresses so far, but the one that has held my attention the longest is the railmaster, i would say it was a super rep before the name existed. It is so good a wear it for the most dangerous and arduous work i can do outside of conflict. And it keeps better time than the gen Aqua terre i have.

For me it's my MBW (yeah I know MBK is pc nowadays) PP Nautilus Jumbo. This is the one watch I NEVER wear to work because I scratch all my SS bracelets on my desk. This after all is a rep that has been repped. I know people say the dial is incorrect in the MBK version but who knows? A lot of strange things went on in the 70's and people with serious money get what they want so who's to say that dial is indeed incorrect? When it goes in for servicing I'm going to have the seconds hand removed. I own the Genta Four as I call them, the Nautilus, RO, Ingy and VCO, and they get worn on special occasions. It took me a long time to acquire all 4.

My ZPO will more than likely exceed ALL of them. What is a ZPO? The Zigmeister Planet Ocean. My UPO has ALL gen parts except for the bezel, movement and case. Even the bracelet is gen. I have $1,500 invested in it which is absurd, but for the price of a new 45mm PO, I had The Zigmeister build a franken PO and I got a gen Electric Blue. I have yet to wear it but when I do there will be a 10 foot buffer around me at all times. :)

There is virtually no watch that I am satisfied with out of the box and my favorite rep changes over time. My first great reps were the Honpo 2892/3's and the first gen Chrono Avenger. A couple of years later they are the ones I wear the most having not worn them for an extended period of time. It is always the dream of creating the next great rep that drives me to the next project - whether it is a Swiss HBB or 7753 187.

Out of the box, my favorite rep would be the Pilot 3717.

Good thread.

The closest I've come is the Hublot Big Bang. I would've probably have been smart to have packed it in after I received that watch and was so impressed. The ceramic bezel version, especially. The rep is so expensive, that I think some buyers might actually treat the rep as though it was a gen purchase. Under that scenario, I believe that the # of people who have likely bought that watch, and no other rep, is probably higher for the HBB than for any other model.

I'm starting to try to get my collection to the point where each of the watches in my group is worthy of that status. I want to get my collection down to a point where I've got 5 to 7 really high quality reps that would each be considered timeless.

My MBW AP RO. I've had just about every super rep and many many others over my rep collecting life and I always come back to this watch. Simple, practical, and perfect. It's the ONLY watch in my collection I have not sold at least once (most model's I've sold/traded/aquired again multiple times). That's sayings something for someone who has been through 50+ reps.

My MBW AP RO. I've had just about every super rep and many many others over my rep collecting life and I always come back to this watch. Simple, practical, and perfect. It's the ONLY watch in my collection I have not sold at least once (most model's I've sold/traded/aquired again multiple times). That's sayings something for someone who has been through 50+ reps.

I haven't owned the Royal Oak, but I have got the Offshore, and assuming they're as similar in quality as I suspect they are- I can understand why you would feel that the MBW RO is among the best of the best.

There's something to be said for only going after the best of the best.

My Breitling Navitimer, black TT on Black deployant leather is the ultimate for me so far.

Bought from a fellow collector over at RWI earlier this year. Close second comes my PAM 123, I'm left handed so the destro works perfectly for me.

On the horizon is another Navi TT, this time in white. The Big Bang I know wouldn't suit me......perhaps a nice IWC will follow this.

What is a "WIS"?

It is someone who is singled-minded in his pursuit of watches & watch collecting. So much so, that he is able to answer questions about watches without having to refer to a reference book. I believe the term was coined by members of TZ (timezone.com). SEARCH TZ's archives for 'Watch Idiot Savant' to get the story.

LOL @ LordRasta... ain't that the truth!

I plan my outfits around my watches, not the other way around...usually. That's a serious psychological affliction! lol

Just as mezzanine has stated, the ceramic HBB is one hell of a rep watch, and I must agree that with his assesment that it is so well made that as an owner of this watch, you feel as though it should be treated like a gen. It really seems like one, and although I have bought a couple of reps since, the HBB is the one that has 'done me in' :good:

post-22-1197055090_thumb.jpg

THE ONE. For a lot of reasons. Since getting this MBK PP Nautilus model back in early August, I have stopped wearing all of my other watches. Including my most expensive rep ever, my Ziggified 3717.

For me the PPN has become the ONLY watch I wear. I wear it at work, play, dress. For me it is the perfect watch. Handsome, thin, SS, black dial, EXtremely comfortable bracelet, light weight, and the MBK without doubt, has the finest fit and finish of any watch that I have ever owned.

I admire the styling of other Gerald Genta watches like the APRO, or the IWC VC, but for one reason or another the Nautilus is just THE ONE for me. Researching the origin and history of the Nautilus is a great lesson in design and fabrication.

The original jumbo's - 3700 and 3800 and now the new 5711 are so sought after that the price of these watches is out of control. Certainly one of the most expensive ss sport watches ever made. If you can FIND a new 5711, the average price is between 25,000 and 35,000.00. Older 3700 jumbo's at auction sell upwards of 100,000.00

For me it has become...THE ONE.

I have two reps that keep pulling me.... heavy modded 1665 with gen 1570 movement and superdome and the Ferarri 08. The last one I have considered buying the real deal... but after seeing the rep I bailed out and saved me 8k. That is even a better feeling then spending it! But I am dutch you know...