When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

YM noob vs New YM case, is this a better YM?

PureTime

Just got the case and dial from a factory, saying this is a 1:1 Yacht-Master case, which will accept genuine movement, as I dont have a 3135 movement on hand and I did not try but for sure this dial does not fit an ETA movement (the date window is to the left of the ETA datewheel).

The factory also says they use 904L steel for this case and the bezel is platinum plated, as I dont know how to test so I just skip them.

Hope By-Tor and BK and other experts will comment on this. 200+ mails are waiting for me, I let the pictires talk.

Front view, noob on top

YM-01a.jpg

YM-01b.jpg

Side view, noob on top

YM-02a.jpg

YM-02b.jpg

Crown tube, noob on top

YM-03a.jpg

YM-03b.jpg

Crown font, noob on top

YM-04a.jpg

YM-04b.jpg

Crown back, noob on top

YM-05a.jpg

YM-05b.jpg

Close up side view, pay attention to the crown position, crown guard, bezel teeth and crystal height, noob on top

YM-06a.jpg

YM-06b.jpg

Caseback teeth, noob on top

YM-07a.jpg

YM-07b.jpg

Dial, noob on top, please neglect the missing lume on the noob dial and missing paint on the new dial, seems the noob printing is better? Dont know...

YM-08a.jpg

YM-08b.jpg

Side view, noob case is slightly thicker, noob on left

YM-09.jpg

Side view, noob on bottom

YM-10.jpg

Lug view, noob on bottom, no engraving for the new case (the factory says because they are not allowed to make replica so they cannot do the engraving)

YM-11.jpg

Lug view 2, noob on bottom

YM-12.jpg

Caseback view, pay attention to the polished area, noob on left

YM-13.jpg

Sorry for the simple and unprofessional review, enjoy :-)

@Angus: I'll leave this to bklm, since Yacht-Master isn't really my speciality.

But I can say that the new version looks very, very accurate. It has the "U"-shaped crown guards, thinner (better crown), better crown position and also better and bigger "YACHT-MASTER" font on the dial.

It looks very nice indeed. But of course we have to see the end product before we can comment.

PS Angus: Check King's site.

http://www.cclv.net/

5th row from the top... Rolex-417.

Are we talking about the same version?

Absolutely not By-Tor, look at the bezel markers, his are too fat, the rolex logo on the dial, the crown, bezel teeth, the 6 o' clock "SWISS MADE" and the minute markers below it...etc. I am pretty sure no one knows about this because this is a private project.

This is the final thing already, the factory makes only genuine parts for other watch brands so they cannot engrave the lugs and inner caseback, this is not made by the replica factory but a factory makes OEM parts for other watches.

I dont know how to make sure it is 904L steel and the bezel is platinum plated...

I have also got a 1:1 16520 Daytona case which accept Zenith movement (also no lug engravings and inner caseback engravings, dont know if from the same factory), when I have more time and I will take some pics.

Yeah, the differences are apparent, now that I took a closer look. Looked it sloppily. :) It's just strange that suddenly there are so many new YM reps coming from everywhere. Joshua released another new one (obviously based on the Noob version), with ETA 2892. See it here. Absolutely HORRIBLE date font though.

Thanks for keeping us posted Angus. I'm sure the membership would be glad to help if you can keep us updated during the process.

Looks like an excellent case, when you have a production piece, I'll be first in the Q.

Noob dial has better surface effect and YM font colour.

"SWISS MADE"is completely wrong on the new dial (position, size and font)

minute markers for 28 and 32 should be full length

YACHT-MASTER colour needs to be a darker red on the new dial

gen did come with this swiss made and the half markers, see below:

And after looking at that second dial again are we sure that is not gen dial, printing is a little fuzzy but it looks older. Date window is excellent as is the coronet on the dial. Very smooth marker outlines also for a factory sample (compare the triangles to really see this). Also the texture on the gen often photographs muted, and vary alot from one dial to the next even at the AD.

yacht1ec1.jpg

Angus,

This is a VERY accurate looking Yachtie. Can't add much more to BT - U-shaped CGs, dial etc. all look spot on. YM text looks a little less bloody that it should but I put that washed out look down to the photo and lighting.

Easy ways to check some of the most obvious tells.....the platinum bits.

Pt (not you PT :p) is 3x heavier than gold, and the heft of the YM watch head is very noticeable in the gen. The two Pt parts, the insert and dial are relatively easy to spot if they're not gen. A fairly inexpensive acid test kit and some knowledge will tell you whether this is real platinum, plated or not. I suspect we're talking rhodium plating only not platinum. The gen dial is also marked up accordingly (I have pics) but assuming this new rep is just a standard better printed dial anyway?

To be honest, I can't see the value in this private project unless you're putting 2892s in that case. A c.3135 would make the piece way too expensive. I also don't see how this OEM factory (which stands up to scrutiny given the quality of this case) would risk doing this though, as even without serial engravings, the dial alone bypasses any inteleectual property/generic case disclaimer - unless the bits shipped out separately via the back door a la the Hublot ceramic bezel saga.

Whatever, an interesting and exciting development and I'm sure we all look forward to hearing more :D

gen did come with this swiss made and the half markers, see below:

And after looking at that second dial again are we sure that is not gen dial, printing is a little fuzzy but it looks older. Date window is excellent as is the coronet on the dial. Very smooth marker outlines also for a factory sample (compare the triangles to really see this). Also the texture on the gen often photographs muted, and vary alot from one dial to the next even at the AD.

yacht1ec1.jpg

I stand corrected, you're correct about the markers. Had a look in my local AD at a 2007 model. Just like you said.

Dam, this can get confusing... trying to find what current and correct. Just when I think I know what I'm looking at, they go and change it.

Now I need a new set of Gen photos for 2007

I stand corrected, you're correct about the markers. Had a look in my local AD at a 2007 model. Just like you said.

Dam, this can get confusing... trying to find what current and correct. Just when I think I know what I'm looking at, they go and change it.

Now I need a new set of Gen photos for 2007

Well that's Rolex for you, rarely any rhyme or reason though.

The 2007 gen model also seems to have reverted back to 'fix' one of the most complained about flaws of the rep - namely the bold red YM dial text.

2006 and prior...

rolexsteelyachtmastercjzf6.jpg

rolexrolesiumplatinumyatq5.jpg

HK and I had a heated discussion with some other member about a year ago regarding the YM's... It's just about the most varied model of all modern rolex'es. You can easily walk into an AD that has multiple YM's and see differances on each one from the color of the dial to the spacing of the swiss and the color of the font.

On that 2007 pic if you asked for rep/gen i would say rep because of the: the light red font, bezel spacing, and jumbo crown... but I can believe its gen.

If we can build 16200 series Frankenjusts with eta 2824-2's and it fits in a case for a 3135, why can't the rep makers use a 2824-2 and get the correct crown position like on this YM case, or for that matter the 16610 or the SSD? Why do they keep going to the 2892-2 which is a great movement, but more expensive. A YM with proper crown position and 2824-2 wouldn't have to cost an arm and a leg!

Angus you are talking about 904L steel platinum plated and with the corect tube position,which means expensive movement ...then we have a watch at the range of 550 to 650$??? This is not good...Lets hope to keep the price low....

For a near perfect rep using 904L steel, platinum plating and 2892 movement I'd drop $550. I'd say that's not unreasonable.

That's a great case. I don't even like yachties, but If there is a rep sold that actually uses that case, I'll buy it and worry about the rolex print later (would certainly be worth searching and paying for an OEM dial for that case, maybe an insert, too). If they build the zenith daytona case to the same quality, I'll have a heart attack and then buy it too.

I used to know why the 2892 works better in rollies than the 2824, but now it slips my mind. Cannon pin height, maybe? Thickness. At any rate, this watch is certainly worth a 2892.(I don't get it, really--people don't blink at putting OEM 7750's into $3000 Breitlings but balk at putting a $180 2892 inside a $5K Rolex). For those who want a cheaper movement, keep in mind that The Zigmeister (and also my local smith) say that the asian 2892 copy is a very decent movement, especially after servicing.

My fear is that like the sd King posted pics of on her site, that this case will either never see the light of day w/o a gen movement or even far, far worse, modified to fit the 2836, which will sadly mean jus a marginally improved rep that won't be worth the premium we'll obviously have to pay.

Here's another photo of a gen dial. Further proof that the YACHT-MASTER font isn't bold on all gens.

Also notice the relatively bold date font.

hey, I like that comment BT.

A member and good friend of RWG always says "Stephane, don't be too anal! There are variations in dial prints and font boldness in genuine too".

Sounds like you agree on that and the good news is I can wear my Noob with it's fat date font :good:

Cheers

Stephane