When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Forum - Old Question

Watchmeister

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I forgot about that one. The Yashica Mat is a classic. I think Rollei made one of those two. Is that a 4x5 format? Hey Mark, you are dating yourself. :lol:

It takes 120 film. 60mm x 60mm. Heeeoooooge negs if you're used to 35mm, but there's something really cool about square format black-and-white photos.

I always reach for this baby when I shoot emulsion.......6x6 ain't Heeeoooooge.......6x8 trannies ARE huge.......but until you've handled 10x8 trannies everything else is teeny tiny toty...... :lol:

6626-5709.jpg

Edited by TTK

Now listen to TTK - I listened too - got the 7D - PERFRECT cam for the afficionado...

Furthermore: Minolta gave up the DSLR production recently and handed the business over to Sony. Minolta A Bajonett will still be in production, as Sony will continue to use it. So - all retailers drop their 7D's as if they were hot - and they are. Yo ucan now get Kits with the Body, CF card anda great lens for - circa 700$ - people paid about 1400$ a few months ago for this kit. Grab one while you can - it will be the best bargain in a long time - you sure won't regret it - but please, don't get kits with 28-100 - a crappy lens. better start out with 17-35 kit lens - it's gold - costing sometimes 400$ alone... GRAB IT!

Ok, I looked everywhere. I did find a few places selling just the camera itself for $700-ish, but nowhere could I find a kit around that price. Closest I got was $900-ish, but with the 28-100 lens (stupid question, is the 28-100 really that bad?). I saw a couple kits with the 17-35 lens, but it would have been cheaper to get just the camera by itself and add $400 for the lens separately.

I'm no photography expert, I'd probably use the Auto function most, though I may play around with a few settings. Current camera is a Fujifilm S5100. It's only 4mp, but does take good quality pictures. I'd like to enlarge some of the pics we take, and 4mp isn't going to cut it. My wife would actually like to enlarge some of our pictures to poster size, but I think that'd be a stretch even for a 6 or 8mp camera.

TTk-

I am assuing a tranny is a negative. What I want to know is whether that 6x8 comes complete with Sherpa. It looks huge. I am going to wander over to B&H (big U.S. supplier of photo and video equipment) in the next couple of days and see what they got.

Finepics-

Is that just a bellows or is there a camera back there?

Josetann asks a good question. Every child loves nothing better than a poster of themselves or their friends in their room. I have been told by at least 1 friend who is a very experienced photographer that with the proper software the extra couple of megapixels are not necessary if you want to blow up a poster of 20x30 or so.

I am assuing a tranny is a negative. What I want to know is whether that 6x8 comes complete with Sherpa. It looks huge. I am going to wander over to B&H (big U.S. supplier of photo and video equipment) in the next couple of days and see what they got.

Trannie is Transparency. It's like a positive. For instance, when I worked in book design, we used to get the colour art and covers taken as transparencies. They would be 10"x8" or 6"x8" with all the colour and registration marks around them and we would then get these scanned on a drum-scanner at lots-per-inch. It's the industry standard method of transfering paintings to book covers, amongst other things.

Josetann asks a good question. Every child loves nothing better than a poster of themselves or their friends in their room. I have been told by at least 1 friend who is a very experienced photographer that with the proper software the extra couple of megapixels are not necessary if you want to blow up a poster of 20x30 or so.

To get magazine-cover quality, you need to be looking at 150-175 lpi screening, which is the equivalent of about 300 dpi. If you're after 20"x30" at that quality, you're looking at 6000x9000 pixels, which is 54 megapixels. In other words, you will never get a good result, so you have to settle for what you can get.

There are no magical shortcuts or special applications that can miracle up pixels out of nothing or extrapolate super-pixels or anything, so you're limited to non-moon-pony solutions that will blur pixels to make it look like the photo is that resolution but a little blurred, or you're limited to a low-lpi screen and large visible dots.

A 5MP camera will do you 2500x2000 (rounded for ultra simplicity, bear with me) or so, which gives you around 8"x6" at decent resolution: nowhere near poster-size.

Still, if you don't mind a poster that won't stand close up scrutiny, a 6MP or 8MP camera may be enough, as long as the picture is good enough.

Remember, Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Ms. A is the photographer in our house, so I'll ask her--but I can tell you 100% the macro mode on her 8 megapixel Canon (Can't remember if it's a Rebel or EOS or what, only that it put me in the poorhouse in December) is VERY disapointing in macro mode. I thought, "Geez, for this kind of dough, I'll at least be able to take so decent watch closeups." Nope, the old fuji finepix is three times as good.

Curently weilding Nikon, F5, F801 and D200, as well as a sony cybershot dsc-p12. The D200 is quite simply awesome. However for the amateur or the occasional photo taker, complete overkill.

Out of the 2 options you gave to begin with def the Nikon, I have had 2 Cannon cameras and both were excellent but have really fallen for the quality of the Nikon's.

When Nikon released the d-200, cannon bricked it big time, dropping prices like they were going out of fashion, mainly becasue the D2X and the D-200 are so similar, and the d200 is a fraction of the price which blew a big whole in cannons market. This is a completely professional tool, which has been brought in at top end amateur/semi pro pricing level.

Nikon kit is fantastic, however cannon kit is also excellent, it usually for the amateur depends on the ability of the photographer and the quality of lens.

For some of my pics I still use the dsc-p12, excellent camera, very light weight and portable and yeilds very good results. It is all about what you want from the camera, I personally wouldn't spend a fortune if all you want is to take some watch pics every now and again. The cybershot range can more than adequatly cover those needs, however if you want it for more than just that then I would def start off with some of TTK's suggestions and if you ever decide to become more serious about photography, ie for business/commercial reasons, then the high end Nikon range would efinately be my recommendation.

Chris

P.S. D-200 if awesome.

Ms. A is the photographer in our house, so I'll ask her--but I can tell you 100% the macro mode on her 8 megapixel Canon (Can't remember if it's a Rebel or EOS or what, only that it put me in the poorhouse in December) is VERY disapointing in macro mode. I thought, "Geez, for this kind of dough, I'll at least be able to take so decent watch closeups." Nope, the old fuji finepix is three times as good.

The Rebel is an EOS-350, so it's probably that. :)

Oh, and the correct answer should be "For this kind of dough, I can at least change lenses to a dedicated Macro", so I'd get on to your Missus to buy a decent Macro lens, or you can do what TTK and I do and not use Macro at all. Ok, sometimes I do, but only when I want a depth of field so tight you can hear it. You really don't need to get in close to take watch pics, if you have eight megaplonkies in the camera. You can crop down to anything webworthy. Remember, the advantage of the SLR is you can change lenses to suit the shot. Ask yonder missus if she's got anything to help for Macro shots if you're determined, cos you never know, she may have a dedicated lens already.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, have you read my photo articles? You don't need to use the big camera if the little one takes pics that make you happier. :)

I shoot a Canon 20D (which I love BTW), but the clincher for me is the Tamron 28-70 zoom with a 2.8 aperture through its range. This lense is the bargain of the universe- I have a 2000 dollar canon L glass zoom, which I no longer use because the Tamron (about 350 on line) is as clear and weighs about a third as much. You should really look into this lens whether you are shooting Canon or Nikon- It is really good.

-O

BTW there may be steep discounts available on the Minolta products as they recently announced they are leaving the camera business altogether. Sony is purchasing many of their products and patents.

Edited by new & improved osteopath

@Kruzer.....there's a lot of good advice here...and some not so good.....!

First and foremost decide what you want to do with the camera and what you want it to do for you....because I use a 7D and someone else uses a Nikon D1 or Canon 20D ..does not mean that you should follow suit......it's all about VFM.....value for money.....and the uses that you will put it to.....!

If you are an occasional watch snapper....then there is no real need for an SLR......in fact you don't need an SLR at all.....a Minolta Dimage 7i or A200 or Nikon Coolpix or indeed any current digital camera will effectively do everything you want......I simply moved up from a 7i to the 7D because my 7i developed a fault...and Minolta Bangkok told me it could be about 5 weeks for repair....so I just went out and upgraded.....the reason was simple.....I use the camera as a 'tool'.....I take shots of watches that are for sale......I NEED a camera...5 weeks without one would be no use to me.....5 weeks without a camera for you would probably not inconvenience you too much.....!

It's all about proportion....the proportion of times you'll use a camera for family snaps....holiday snaps....etc etc.....versus the number of times you'll set up a studio ( however amateur or pro}.....it's about achieving a balance of features vs use.......as I said before ANY of the cameras will give you great results......you need to decide.....do you wish to go the semi-pro route and buy an SLR..or would the convenience of a good zoom lens non SLR suffice.......remember one other thing.......you will NOT get shots such as those you see from me and other good photographers straight from a camera...SLR or otherwise............same as glamour or fashion modelling ....everybody thinks that David Bailey or Helmut Newton....simply set up the lights and snapped away....using the first photograph from the camera.....truth is they probably shot a couple of hundred rolls of film just to get ONE shot that was suitable for a magazine cover......thankfully with digital...we're not faced with the cost of processing......the number of times I did a shoot and then processed and was disappointed with the results......requiring a re-shoot.......as a result.....I invested very quickly in a very expensive Polaroid back for my RB67's.......absolutely invaluable......!

Nowadays a lot of post processing is done with Photoshop.......etc etc.......as Pugwash said......I crush the black backgrounds to give emphasis to the watch.....get rid of dust particles etc etc......and there is a learning curve with software such as Photoshop......a constant learning curve......if you're not dedicated enough to spend time learning it.....then consider a less challenging camera than an SLR and just experiment till you get results that make you happy......you can do it right and get great results very simply and cheaply with digital......happy hunting.... :D

REMEMBER ONE THING........IT'S ALL ABOUT LIGHT.......FROM A 22mp DIGITAL HASSELBLAD TO A SIMPLE PINHOLE CAMERA .......THEY ARE ALL JUST BLACK BOXES WITH A LENS TO LET THE LIGHT IN.......THE LIGHT COMES FIRST....!

PPS.....I very rarely take my 7D outside......I use a Samsung A400 for casual shots around town.....!

SHOT WITH MINOLTA 7i...!

7346-5470.jpg

7346-5471.jpg

7346-5472.jpg

7346-5473.jpg

7346-5474.jpg

SHOT WITH MINOLTA 7D

7346-5475.jpg

7346-5476.jpg

7346-5477.jpg

Edited by TTK

Hi Oliver.....I use a Tamron SP 24-135mm zoom lens...circular polariser....because I shoot for illustrative purposes rather than composition......most of the time I use f22.....!

I don't like narrow DOF shots.....if I want to concentrate on a specific part of the watch...such as the crown....I just crop to it....!

Your shot is very good....exposure is good....composition overall is very good......only thing I would have done is....placed a little more light on the leather band at 6.....and I would have emphasised a little more symmetry on the band.....virtually no band showing at the 12 lugs....I'd have balanced it a little more......but that's JMPO.....everyone has different ideas on composition...!

Edited by TTK

I don't like narrow DOF shots.....if I want to concentrate on a specific part of the watch...such as the crown....I just crop to it....!

I love DoF when illustrating a watch, because I can give the impression the viewer is an inch tall, standing next to the watch. It's a style thing that I would probably not use if I were selling watches. I like reflections, too, and that's something else to avoid when selling.

"THE" camera to get is the new Ditgital rebel with a 50 or 100mm macro. I have to shoot products all of the time and am getting this camera under the recommendation of many fasion and product photographers I know. They all heavlily lean toward Canon and they all use a D1s.

The more hardcore product photographers use a meduim or large format with a digital back.

YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG WITH THE DIGITAL REBEL!! Buy the body and get some good glass. skip the oem lens.

The nikon D50 is nice too. Unless you make your $$$ as a shooter, no need to spend any more $$$.

All in all, you can get great photos from a not so pricy camera. The most important thing for product photograpy is good lighting and the best tripod you can afford.

Edited by cdigi

S'funny......most of the product photographers I know......use medium format (Hasselblad or Fuji GX680 with swing and tilt facility).....with Leaf Valeo or Kodak DCS or similar digital backs......not Canon or Nikon.....which are used more in press or sports photography.....!

Edited by TTK

This is my best watch shot.. I like good DOF to achive good sharpness all over and use a small lightbox. I am just in the initial phase of learning Photoshop, and I still do not have a proper macro. My old D1 still does a decent job, especially with the excellent 18-70mm which is standard on the D70s. But compared to newer cameras, the pictyres require a bit more work afterwards.

By the way, I just bought a Hasselblad 500 C/M with an old chrome Planar 80/2.8 lens, but I bought that for other purposes than watch photography. Just as a big boys toy, I have "always" wanted a Hassy, just like I "always" wanted a Rollie... :lol:

The watch is an Air-King from Silix, with real aftermarket service box..

It is all about light... :)

7522-5431.jpg

Edited by chrgod