When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DC / MD / VA GTG Completed...

DuDro

After months of anticipation and close to 10 members showing interest in attending, we only had two members at the DC / MD / VA GTG yesterday... :blink:

I will need to apologize for arriving at the event late. So, if you were at D&Bs at 1:00 PM and left shortly thereafter, then I guess we missed one another.

I did finally get to D&Bs just before 1:30 PM. I walked around the bar area, the dining room, and the gaming (Midway) area three times trying to make myself visible. I wore my red ball cap and pulled up sleeve showing my BCE, as I stated I would.

Finally, I decided to sit down at the first stool at the bar closest to the main entrance to keep a lookout. By now it was close to 2:00 PM and I finally spotted someone. The member had that "I'm looking for someone look on their face", but most importantly he holding a small sign with "RWG" on one side and his forum name on the other. Now why didn't I think of that!?!?! :roll:

Anyhow, I approached him and introduced myself as a "RWG Member" and we had officially started the GTG! We first sat at the bar, but then decided to get a table in the dining room. The place was rather empty which was contrary to what I was told when I tried to call in advance to reserve a table. We told the hostess that we are with the "RWG Group" and to send anyone that mentions "RWG" or "The Darkside" over to our table...Kind of strange thing to do, but oh well.

"freddy333" and I sat down and began trading stories about our common interest in watches, and of course we pulled out some goodies to show off.

For those of you that are not familiar with "freddy333", he spends most his time over at RWG. He is a Rolex guy and does all of his modding. He had brought along an amazing example of a Rolex 6262 (a.k.a. The Paul Newman Daytona)!

(Image borrowed from a reference site)

image013.jpg

I didn't have my camera with me, otherwise I would have taken some photos of this masterpiece. "freddy333" was very generous with sharing his knowledge and insight about this model. All of his time and hard work definitely paid off as evidenced by the true beauty of this amazing chronograph.

He also brought along a tank-style, Audemars that I was not familiar with. A great dress watch with a gold case and burgundy gator strap. Not my cup of tea, but a nice piece to have on display.

I was anticipating a larger group, so I had brought along some my favorite watches to show. Here's a list of what I had brought: (photos will be uploaded soon!)

1) Panerai PAM087: one of my favorite diver watches; I had the crystal re-coated with single-sided AR and replaced the date wheel with a Lello date wheel - WOW what a difference!

2) IWC Ingenieur AMG Chronograph: my favorite titanium watch in my collection; I had the crystal re-coated with double-sided AR with AMAZING results - looks like there is no crystal!

3) Breitling Chronomat Evolution: I have two of these; I brought along my Swiss, all brushed version; lots of photos under the posting titled "Brushed vs Polished BCE Comparo..."

4) Patek Philippe Nautilus: this was one my souvenirs from Bangkok - from the famed MBW dealer at the MBK Mall!

5) Rolex Sea-Dweller Ref. 1665: this Single-Red Sea-Dweller also came back with me from Bangkok - many mods to follow!

6) Rolex Submariner Ref. 1680: my first vintage Sub and a classic! The 1680 Red-Sub with a gen acrylic crystal, shaped CGs, gen insert, and drilled lug holes on a rep rive bracelet.

This was my first GTG and definitely will not the last. It was great meeting a fellow "collector" in person and put a face to the forum name.

Now that I've been through one event, I will know how to better coordinate the next gathering. I would like to try again in near future for another GTG. This time with better planning perhaps we could have a larger turn-out with more watches to drool over! :D

Hey, it was a start even if only 2 people showed up. I had seen the threads but i knew a month ago that I had plans for yesterday so I didn't make any noises about trying to come. Next time you try and set one up I hope to be available to come.

Actually, all things considered, it was the best (of 3) watch GTG I have attended. Even though we both arrived a bit late & this particular bar/restaurant was not the best environment in which to talk (or be heard) & see watches, we were fortunate to have been able to get a nice table with plenty of room to spread out, even if most of the room went unused since it was only the two of us. It would have helped had the GTG notice been able to be posted here earlier, as I had only been made aware of the pending GTG a couple days prior to the event & after having already made previous plans. Otherwise, I would have arrived earlier & better equipped. As it was, I only had time to grab a couple watches. The mall where the GTG was staged is probably a good place for a future GTG since it is very accessible, has a good variety of nice restaurants (any of which would be great meeting places), plenty of free parking & tends not to be very busy (even during a pre-Xmas weekend, the mall was only sparsely inhabited with holiday shoppers).

One correction I would make to DuDro's otherwise excellent meeting recollective is that the Newman I brought along was a model 6241, not 6262 (watch on right)

Image1-61.jpg

And as I mentioned elsewhere, the GTG is good for allowing collectors (I mean those who collect as opposed to those who sell) to actually handle & see watches that you might not ordinarily consider adding to your own collection. Such was the case with DuDro's brilliant MBK/MBW Patek Nautilus (someone already posted a good picture of the same model above, but it looks even better in person). While my collection is already represented by Patek, I tend to gravitate towards that brand's more stealthy models like the 5107 on the right

PatekPhilippe51071.jpg

Like DuDro said, it was too bad neither of us brought a camera, which is a definite must for the next GTG -- though I would limit photos to the watches only (I do not think it is a good idea to post members' faces on a website that deals in contraband goods).

Sounds like a great time!!

If there were more active people here from ott, ON I would like to have a g2g but I doubt that's ever going to happen... the interest of my local community are one of two things: hockey, or NASCAR. Neither of these involve watches :(