When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A nice dress watch

Feta1

Looking for some opinions... I want a nice yet simple dress watch and have narrowed it down to these 2:

This Pam 197 (8 days)

or

This Pam 231

Both are Rose Gold and have the Asian Unitas 6497 17J Manual Handwind Movement

Price seems to be good on both...

Opinions or comments in helping me choose???

Thanks

and Happy Holidays to everyone at RWG ^_^

Feta...I don't like either. :(

At first, I preferred the 197 because I think the 183 is a stunning watch, and this one in RG is perfect. I prefer base PAMs, but the 197 "called" to me more. But then I saw the engraving -- or utter lack of! Meh. The C

Get the 231. Very nice watch and you will love it. Trusty has it with the swiss 6497 and sapphire crystal also., but the other way is ok as well.

197 and synthetic saphire is real saphire the only other sort comes in an an expencive ring form blue in colour and would make it a real expencive and not very usable watch with that as glass! The only issue here is that the wording synthetic has been used as a bit of a scam to sell watches with mineral glass.

Synthetic Sapphire:

It is a very hard, transparent material made of crystallizing aluminum oxide at very high temperatures. Chemically, synthetic sapphire is the same as the natural sapphire used in jewelry, but without the coloring agents that give the gemstone its various hues.

When it is heated, the synthetic sapphire forms round masses that are sliced into pieces with diamond-coated saws. These disks are then ground and polished into watch crystals. (One reason sapphire crystals are relatively expensive is that the tools required to make them are costly.)

Sapphire (whether natural or synthetic) is one of the hardest substances on earth. It measures 9 on the Mohs scale, which is a system for rating the relative hardness of various materials. (Diamond measures 10, the highest rating.) Watch crystals made of synthetic sapphire are often marketed as "scratch resistant", meaning they are very difficult - but not impossible - to scratch. Diamond can scratch them; so can man-made materials that incorporate silicon carbide, which, with a Mohs rating of between 9 and 10, is, like diamond, harder than sapphire. These materials are sometimes used to make simulated-stone surfaces for furniture or walls. The watch wearer should note that accidentally scraping a sapphire crystal against such a surface could cause a scratch.

Yes 183 may be a good choice. Else I would prefer 231. Imagine a bit.. I will take it a step further...imagine 183 in pink gold casing with matching gold hour hand, minute hand and secs hand...no doubt its a fantasy watch but I believe it looks pretty nice too...what do you all think?

I prefer the 231....the strap is garbage so you'll need to replace that right away...and it is quite the delicate operation...changing straps on rads sux mad ass....fookin OP needs to relook that foolishness....i don't know how many #^&$&(*&% swearin' and cussin' one can do when changin' those fookers but I have done it....

B)

197 and synthetic saphire is real saphire the only other sort comes in an an expencive ring form blue in colour and would make it a real expencive and not very usable watch with that as glass! The only issue here is that the wording synthetic has been used as a bit of a scam to sell watches with mineral glass.

Synthetic Sapphire:

It is a very hard, transparent material made of crystallizing aluminum oxide at very high temperatures. Chemically, synthetic sapphire is the same as the natural sapphire used in jewelry, but without the coloring agents that give the gemstone its various hues.

When it is heated, the synthetic sapphire forms round masses that are sliced into pieces with diamond-coated saws. These disks are then ground and polished into watch crystals. (One reason sapphire crystals are relatively expensive is that the tools required to make them are costly.)

Sapphire (whether natural or synthetic) is one of the hardest substances on earth. It measures 9 on the Mohs scale, which is a system for rating the relative hardness of various materials. (Diamond measures 10, the highest rating.) Watch crystals made of synthetic sapphire are often marketed as "scratch resistant", meaning they are very difficult - but not impossible - to scratch. Diamond can scratch them; so can man-made materials that incorporate silicon carbide, which, with a Mohs rating of between 9 and 10, is, like diamond, harder than sapphire. These materials are sometimes used to make simulated-stone surfaces for furniture or walls. The watch wearer should note that accidentally scraping a sapphire crystal against such a surface could cause a scratch.

So in the case of our dealers when they say "synthetic sapphire" is that really mineral glass?

So in the case of our dealers when they say "synthetic sapphire" is that really mineral glass?

No, synthetic sapphire is "synthetic sapphire". If it is mineral glass, it should say mineral in the description. There is no "real sapphire" or non-synthetic sapphire cyrstal used in watches. B)

I prefer the 231....the strap is garbage so you'll need to replace that right away...and it is quite the delicate operation...changing straps on rads sux mad ass....fookin OP needs to relook that foolishness....i don't know how many #^&$&(*&% swearin' and cussin' one can do when changin' those fookers but I have done it....

Hah! I got my first Rad the other day after owning a bunch of luminors. I had the exact same reaction. It's making me rethink a 210.

If the choice is 197 or 231 as a dress watch then it is definitelly the 231, basic, no unneccessary chi-chi like a dial claiming it is the "8days" (and a movement with no similarity at all). However, I feel that the radiomir looks best as a base version without seconds, submarines, sharks etc. on the dial and even without a glass caseback. No matter which metal color you choose I believe a very basic Radiomir definetelly looks best.

Besides that they are the more common thing and it is easier for others to believe it is real. If you

A bit of a late entry, I know, and apologies if it doesn't help with your decision, but, personally, I feel that with PAMs, it is the strap, not so much the watch itself, which dictates it's role in a wardrobe. For example, I'd always thought that the 127 would be too big for wearing with a suit to look smart, but, pairing it with a black aligator strap, with off-white stitching, and it looked incredibly smart and formal. When I wear it on the honey/tan straps, it looks casual. When I wear it on the rubber diver-strap, it looks 'more modern', functional and rugged (it also appears larger, due to the shape of the strap shoulders) Of course, in all those situations, the watch is exactly the same, it is just the straps which are changed, and which create the greatest change in tone and role. I have plans to get a Radiomir as a 'dress watch', but, I know that nine times out of ten, simply putting a black strap on my 127 would be 'smart enough'. Also, the Radiomir I had in mind, was the vintage variant, with four line cut-throughs on the cartinal directions, and 'dot' cut-throughs to represent the 'lesser' hours. Incredibly simplistic watch, which, in dress occasions, is the aim: Simplicity.

No, synthetic sapphire is "synthetic sapphire". If it is mineral glass, it should say mineral in the description. There is no "real sapphire" or non-synthetic sapphire cyrstal used in watches. B)

It *should* say mineral glass, I agree 100%. However, in the case of most (if not all) rep dealers if it is NOT mineral glass, it will simply be advertised as "sapphire crystal", if it says "synthetic sapphire" in the description, it's mineral glass. I'll bet you dollars to donuts on it...

Edited by peepshow