When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pic of favorite watch in your collection, so far...

arty909

All of my watches are my favorite... but, if I said that the "best" in my collection was a gen with a VJ 72C would you understand my reluctance to post pictures?

However, I did just finish cleaning and servicing the movement of my recently wristied Elgin, so, I will take the opportunity to show it off a bit more, if only to enhance other's appreciation of vintage pieces... I haven't polished the crystal or case yet... that's for another day.

This movement is a 17 Jewel, Grade 524 Elgin, one of 7000 produced in 1936. This movement was made from 1935 to 1939 and there were a total of 157,000 made. It still wears a nearly perfect flat nickel finish... These are not quite impossible to find parts for yet, but proper cleaning and servicing is a must, as when parts wear out, they are getting harder and harder to find. This one also just got a new screw when I was putting it back together, because one screw-head was a bit butchered from who knows what watchmaker in the last 72 years getting a bit rough with it. Can you tell which screw is just a little "sharper" looking?

post-7786-1199052837_thumb.jpg

And, just a thought, but how many of your reps are going to be running and looking this good in your grandkids hands 70 years from now? This gen has a really good chance of still being around even then...