When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Weird 1680 Found on Ebay

strat22

Item number: 180200106768

That first picture just screams fake to me. Look at the pearl, not to mention the date magnification.

Then, notice the picture at the very bottom of the auction and compare it to the first pic. It obviously two different watches.

Very strange.

Hopefully no one will really pay $12.5k for it.

Should I contact Ebay?

Edited by strat22

Your link is not working but i take it you mean article number 180200106768, i agree that incert is crap and the last pic if it is the same watch it is with a diferent pearl, also the hands and dial are very different colours.

I agree, the last pic looks different than the rest. I wrote Rob a couple of weeks ago and told him his insert was crap- the pearl that is- and how could he expect to get $12.5K w/ a crappy pearl- the least he could do is spend $100 and get the correct insert. No reply. At the time he was selling a 5512 for about the same price and it had the correct pearl in the insert.

These guys are a reputable high end watch place. If you were really interested, I guess you'd have to spend the next $500 or so and fly out to LA and see the watch in person (of course that won't work for EU types). Maybe they'd send you some better photos. I can always tell their photos- I don't like them that much- you see alot of better photos here on RWG

This sure looks like either an aftermarket case or someone felt the need to file the CGs on a gen case. You can clearly see the remnants of the file job in this picture (it looks like one of my early CG modding attempts)

RX1680SSREDSUB-06.jpg

And the circular cut-out for the movement lock is usually more centered (directly across from the stem).

Looks shifty to me, even tho he has 100% + feedback... other than the obvious crown guard filing, whats with the goofy datewheel in the first pics? AND the different watch in the last pic? Prob a franken with gen movement and who knows what the dial actually is. I would want to go see this one in person and take it to a AD for verification before dropping $12k

Freddy, the back side of the crown guards looking bad is because the picture sucks! The tops just got blacked out. And my cut-out on my 78 gen is off center also- can't remember which way. Other than the bad pearl and the confusing last picture, i'd figure the watch is basically OK.

Alli -- I guess you could be right. But it looked the same in one of the other pictures, so I do not think the filing marks are a photographic anomaly. Unfortunately, the auction closed so I cannot post the other picture. It is also very odd that they would have a gen watch fitted with a such an obviously poor quality aftermarket insert. But, as always, anything is possible, especially since the seller is known to be a good one (I just think he may have flubbed (unknowingly) on this one).

I just checked out the auction pics... and it looks good to me.

The case is correct. Remember these originally sold for less than what a crappy aftermarket bezel goes for. File marks are not that uncommon on old examples...

JBHII has a 1680 on his site, you can see that the "cutout" in the case is between 8 and 9, same as this one. If you look close at the pics of the back showing the CG's you will see that his example has a hump under the crown, where not enough was filed out.

Quality varies. Especially on vintage tool watches.