When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Pilot's Doppel Chronograph Limited (PVD)

Dani

It is a obvious mix out of the Doppelchronograph "TOP GUN" 3799 and the 3786 Doppelchronograph.

The only part taken from the TopGun model is the caseback, while the rest looks pretty much like the doppelchrono.

To become a good topgun rep it will need (besides the dimension) an engraving below the ten o' clock pusher with the TopGun-logo,

tpgn2.jpg

differtent second hands (red planes at the end) and titane crown and pushers.

tpgn.jpg

to make a good doppelchrono rep, it will just need the right caseback, titane crown and pushers..

dsc00309fd7.jpg

dsc00313tb9.jpg

But still I like it: as long as you wear it, it will look good. Just don't show of that caseback...

:lol:

Edited by Seadweller4000

Ok, I know it's a bit of a mish-mash, but I really like it. :good:

Yes, it should be 46/47mm if it's a Top Gun, and have the red planes on the end of the second hands, but in size (and ignoring the caseback), it's pretty close to the 2006 ceramic doppel chrono. If Angus is really selling them, and not just testing the water, then I may well buy one ;)

In fact, if I was not into fast bavarian cars as my primary hobby, then I'd go out and buy the original doppelchrono right now.

i.e. "If it didn't cost so damn much to keep my Bimmers on the road..." ;):bangin:

Hmm, tempting ... but, I think this case is still 42 mm, I doubt they went to trouble of creating new case ? Angus does not specify size ... and 3786 is 44 mm. If this case is 44 mm then this one gets very high on my list :rolleyes:

regards

Hmm, tempting ... but, I think this case is still 42 mm, I doubt they went to trouble of creating new case ? Angus does not specify size ... and 3786 is 44 mm. If this case is 44 mm then this one gets very high on my list :rolleyes:

regards

it says 42mm same case as the 3717 on angus add.

It's not so bad... :blush:

Hi Euno.....since we're talking about bimmers (kinda off topic, but what the hay?), do you do you're own maintenance/repair/upgrade (sounds like watches???)? If you

do, how tough is it to replace a '95 740IL front shocks (have 65,000 miles in it)?

Thanks!

Hi Euno.....since we're talking about bimmers (kinda off topic, but what the hay?), do you do you're own maintenance/repair/upgrade (sounds like watches???)? If you

do, how tough is it to replace a '95 740IL front shocks (have 65,000 miles in it)?

Thanks!

I'll jump in on that (having changed all front end components on a '94 E34 540i, which is basically the same car).

It's not too bad to do yourself. There's plenty of room to fit the spring compressors. Here are some instructions & tips:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_27.htm

While you've got things apart, you may want to consider changing some other wear parts, like the control arm bushings, and sway bar links...

Edited by avitt

Thanks!

I agree with Avitt...

If you've got the wheels off, you might as well as change the lower & upper control arms, the sway bar links and the tie rods as well. Just make sure to preload the upper & lower arms before fully torqing them down or the bushings will shred (just drop the car's weight down on a jackstand, then torq down tight). You will need an alignment afterwards.

Use this link as a reference for parts: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Order parts from www.Autohausaz.com or elsewhere for good pricing.

If you don't want to rebuild the front end, replacing the shocks/struts/springs is fairly easy and straighforward. Just be very careful with the spring compressor. Should take an 1-3 hours to do depending on your tools and skills.

I do most of the work on my E31, but I am lucky to be able to use my friend's shop & tools. If you don't do your own work, by all means find a nice mechanic that will allow you to bring in your own parts purchased from the web. You will save tons of $$$ and you will find it quite easy to maintain and even upgrade your 7-Series.

BTW, you have a lovely car... I miss my old 750.

Cheers :)

my840citheparkjb4.jpg

I'll jump in on that (having changed all front end components on a '94 E34 540i, which is basically the same car).

It's not too bad to do yourself. There's plenty of room to fit the spring compressors. Here are some instructions & tips:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_27.htm

While you've got things apart, you may want to consider changing some other wear parts, like the control arm bushings, and sway bar links...

I agree with Avitt...

If you've got the wheels off, you might as well as change the lower & upper control arms, the sway bar links and the tie rods as well. Just make sure to preload the upper & lower arms before fully torqing them down or the bushings will shred (just drop the car's weight down on a jackstand, then torq down tight). You will need an alignment afterwards.

Use this link as a reference for parts: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Order parts from www.Autohausaz.com or elsewhere for good pricing.

If you don't want to rebuild the front end, replacing the shocks/struts/springs is fairly easy and straighforward. Just be very careful with the spring compressor. Should take an 1-3 hours to do depending on your tools and skills.

I do most of the work on my E31, but I am lucky to be able to use my friend's shop & tools. If you don't do your own work, by all means find a nice mechanic that will allow you to bring in your own parts purchased from the web. You will save tons of $$$ and you will find it quite easy to maintain and even upgrade your 7-Series.

BTW, you have a lovely car... I miss my old 750.

Cheers :)

Thanks a lot, guys!!! That's a big help...I'm planning to do these by myself.....been doing all the maintenance and stuff since I bought this car. I plan to do this in Spring! I have it hibernate in the winter! It's still mostly stock, except for the 19" mags and tires that I did in '98! I'll post some pics once I find them somewhere on this darn PC! Color is Navy Blue!

• 2 weeks later...

Any news? Dial/ case/ pushers and crown corrections?

I think that if they put the pushers and crown on tintanium and make a good case this will be a very nice rep. And make a little modification on the dial and on the caseback.

Waiting news, photos!