When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

La Vie En Rose

Pugwash

I've recently seen La Vie En Rose, the film of life of Edith Piaf, and was expecting them to have, as seems to be the trend, the actress sing the songs. However, they dusted off audio recordings of Piaf's performances and used them in the film, lip-synced by the fantastic Actress that portrayed her.

Normally, I would have considered this a little of a cop-out, but anyone familiar with Piaf's work would know that no amount of training can get an actress to sound anything close to her power and timbre.

As an example, I've attached the opening 1m42 of the film just to show what I mean:

piaf.jpg

Click to play the MPEG4 clip

Now, here's the Pugwash review: A little selective and potentially disjointed, but a superb film with an amazing performance by Marion Cotillard (previously seen as the hot girlfriend in Taxi 1-4) and some wonderful direction. If you're not scared of subtitles (or you speak French) then see it. Oh, and seriously, don't try it without subtitles unless you're really up on 20s-60s Parisian argot. From time to time, I was glad to have the subtitles, to be honest, and I'm just back from 8 years in Paris.

One of the best films of the year and she'll definitely be nominated for an academy award. BTW, Pug, the film was a huge art house hit in the US and is doing big numbers in home video!

I suspect it'll do exceptionally well on DVD, especially for a French-language film. It's one of those films for which international sales are a bonus, as it will have easily made back its budget in France alone.

I've never been a huge fan....can't exactly say why. Much more Jacques Brel (early period) that Piaf (any period, except maybe when she was an authentic street singer - and I, a little kid in Chicago).

On the other hand, I've always appreciated Grace Jones' nighmarish version of La Vie en Rose, as arranged by the very talented Frenchman Jean-Paul Goude:

Two for the price of one: the real Edith, singing the real thing in 1954:

On the other hand, I've always appreciated Grace Jones' nighmarish version of La Vie en Rose, as arranged by the very talented Frenchman Jean-Paul Goude:

I LOVE this version! It's so arch. Her accent makes it brilliant!

Original:

"Quand il me prend dans ses bras

Il me parle tout bas

je vois la vie en rose"

Sounds like:

Hold me prawns down said bra

Eel me par Cuba

Jay vwah Lovey on Hose-uhhhhh

Patricia Kaas wishes she could sound as good!!

Remember Kim Wayans in "In Living Color" when she parodied Grace Jones? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

P.S.: Buffalaxing is hard!

P.S. #2 11 January: I just bought it on iTunes! God, it's even better than I remembered it -- des mots de tous les jours.

"Day Moe day two lay Jew"

:rofl::victory:

Here's my favorite from Madame Piaf.

Tell me, TELL ME SOMEONE, where has this talent gone? WHERE! Where are the Frank Sinatras, the Judy Garlands, the Jacques Brels, heck even the Nina Simones gone to?

What a poor world we live in, talentwise. When Tom Jones goes, I'm burning my 78s.

Here's the 2007 Top 100 Films in terms of $$ in the USA.

Nice shovel. Fancy digging yourself a deeper hole?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/uk/yearly/

Yes, going back to the point you were trying to make, can you see foreign films on that list? Note in particular number 92. :Jumpy:

Tell me, Luisik, why did you target Americans specifically in your reply? Why didn't you include all "Anglo-Saxons"?

Because, according to all the data you've provided, Americans don't like foreign films. ;)

Still, good film. Go see it if you're one of those rare people that likes well-filmed foreign melodramatic films that don't follow Hollywood standards.

(I'm having fun! I hope Pugwash doesn't like American television shows, and favours French TV, because I have A LOT of funk fun up my sleeve)

I love US TV shows. I can spout swathes of Buffy or Simpsons quotes and can probably scare die-hard TV fans with trivia from Friends, CSI, NCIS or whatever show you like. I love decent blockbusters, too. Some of the finest films ever made come from money-making film factories. Die Hard 4? Fine, fine film.

I can discuss Kurasawa in one breath and Transformers in the next. I can critique art-house between a diet of full-on quality action fare.

I tend to judge films and TV shows on an individual basis instead of grouping them in genres I should like.

I rate Sorkin and Whedon highly yet still think Last Boy Scout and Happy Gilmore are two of the most underrated films ever made.

I love US TV shows. I can spout swathes of Buffy or Simpsons quotes and can probably scare die-hard TV fans with trivia from Friends, CSI, NCIS or whatever show you like.

Sorry, mate. You're on your own there. I have never watched Buffy, Friends, or even a full episode of Seinfeld.

British television is where it's at!

I hardly watch any American television, outside of Monk, and a handful of shows on Discovery and History channels...

but am fairly familiar with The Doctor, Dave Lister, George Sunday, Phil Mitchell, John "Abs" Denham...

as far as visiting the cinema goes, I rarely waste the time... there are many more interesting things to do for a date... and, if something interests me, it will usually find it's way to me anyway...

I've been feeling a little sick lately so today I decided to take it easy, stay in bed and watch some movies. I decided to give this one a try after hearing all of the positive comments I read in this topic. I must say, it is a fabulously well executed biographical drama that had me soaring through a vast range of emotions and, to top it off, contained some truly remarkable music from a world-famous singer that I previously knew absolutely nothing about. A little on the long side, I was snoozing at some points but there was always something interesting going on to pull me back into the film. I had a hard time understanding the French, and definitely recommend even fluent modern-day Francophones to give English subtitles a try. All in all, it's a keeper of a movie that really causes one to reflect. A+ !

I also watched the thrilling Shoot 'Em Up and had great fun with it, especially since it was such a perfect contrast to La Vie en Rose.

All in all, it's a keeper of a movie that really causes one to reflect. A+ !

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

British television is where it's at!

With the writer's strike in full swing, you're pretty much certain to be on a diet of British and Canadian shows for the foreseeable future.

Tell me, Luisik, why did you target Americans specifically in your reply?

Victoria, you answered yourself with your " 2007 Top 100 Films in terms of $$ in the USA"

American tastes are usually quite different from this kind of melodramatical movies, as shown in your list, but I never meant it was bad... just different... as every anglo-saxon countries are different from each other, not only in their way to use english language, but also in their way to face life.