When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An Exciting New Strapmaker

Victoria

The good thing about being a strapaholic, is that I get to support a lot of strapmakers in the forums I'm a member of -- gen and rep alike. :victory:

Xlr8tn first turned me on to his straps, after posting a collection pic of them, remember?

IMG_7467-1.JPG

I thought, wow, that is a combination of Greg Stevens (especially the Toro Moro blue stitch, in the middle), FxrAndy's textured buffalo straps, plus V's elegant touch. I fell in love with the light brown strap, with creme stitching -- and ordered one.

IMG_7474.JPG

I PMed Brent with my details, telling him I love LOOONG straps. No problems, he said. He even let me punch my own hole! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

How can I describe it? It's leather which looks like toffee dipped in cocoa, smoked over a wood-burning stove. And smooth and soft as a baby's derri

And

youd have to be p i s s e d [uncensored] out of your mind

to think that stitching was anything other than amateurish

I will agree that the hides look a lot more exciting than the stitching... But perhaps his skillz have improved now that he has done a few. The one hanging over the tree branch looks better.

I will agree that the hides look a lot more exciting than the stitching... But perhaps his skillz have improved now that he has done a few. The one hanging over the tree branch looks better.

I don't know how long he's been doing it for (we've exchanged 2 PMs and 2 emails, total, and has disappeared), but the strap I received was very proficient for the price.

That's the key, THE PRICE.

For people who complain about TC this, and the exorbitant prices of Panerai straps that, which START at $200, one is a fool to think this isn't a decent alternative.

Sometimes I don't say anything, but the straps offered on these forums are not quite good. But these are amateurs, whose straps number in the dozens, not hundreds. I'll take a strap from them ANY day over a Simona or MF, because it's just for you.

I like the one on the right, yes he has a couple of stiches that are not very neat, but they look good, i know i can not better that right now. My stiching is never very neat, every one learns. I like his contrast on the blur black, it would look good on the pam with blue hands i am thinking 232 regata?

I like the one on the right, yes he has a couple of stiches that are not very neat, but they look good, i know i can not better that right now.

Fair-minded as ever, FxrAndy. :good:

I like his contrast on the blur black, it would look good on the pam with blue hands i am thinking 232 regata?

Do you mean, the 253 that Reklamkillen posted? Good one!

DSC_0087.jpg

But I also think that one would look very good on a regular black-dial PAM. Check out the similar Greg Stevens Toro Moro on my DSN 112:

pam112tororocks1il9.jpg

The difference is that this custom-made Greg cost me almost $200.

It's nice to see you posting about straps again, Vicky!

I have a surprise when V comes back. He's my partner in strap-crime. ;)

Don't let the Blue Meanies discourage you :disguise2::pinch:

:lol:

Nah, it's okay. I know Narikaa well, and though perhaps he was too abrupt, not without some truth. ;)

OH! This reminds me. Be back with more shots, Ryyannon!

Be back with more shots, Ryyannon!

I forgot to post the best part!

To my pleasant surprise, Brent included not one but two fat, single keepers: one stitched, and one plain. That way you can choose according to your accessories, like Babola and his shoes.

Why don't other strapmakers think of this -- it's such a practical touch. :)

brentstrapduorp9.jpg

brentstrapduoreversett6.jpg

Hello all,

I have been on this board since March 2006 and have learned a lot since then. I've been a "watch collector" since travelling as a kid in the 80's to places like Hong Kong and Thailand. Back then, it was mostly about asthetics and I really didn't know a whole bunch about the individual movements. I have to say that the watches available today do not even compare to the trinkets that I bought back then. This forum has taught me a lot and I try and keep up daily.

This year I purchased my first PAM from DSN and immediately got addicted to making straps. First, I needed to get all the right tools and supplies. Now that I have all that stuff, it's just fun to make a nice strap. I started just making a few for myself, then I made that light brown strap for Victoria. I used a few different techniques for the stitching: angled prong, and straight. I also have several colors of thread to choose from. Just PM me if you are interested.

Victoria - Thank you for your support. I am so pleased that you liked your strap. The hardest part of strapmaking is finding the perfect hide to work with. Unfortunately, I don't really have a local hide shop nearby and I'm not flying to Greece every month, so finding these have been fun.

Later,

Brent

Victoria - Thank you for your support. I am so pleased that you liked your strap.

Wow, cool, you posted!

The hardest part of strapmaking is finding the perfect hide to work with. Unfortunately, I don't really have a local hide shop nearby and I'm not flying to Greece every month, so finding these have been fun.

Good Lord, another Greek strapmaker? ;)

Seriously, though. Thanks for the effort. My strap is much more proficient than your earlier ones, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

BTW, people liked the blue thread ones, so stock up! Good luck to all concerned. :)

VB, unlike some of the others I think the stitch on your strap looks great. Granted some of the ones you posted earlier have a few issues, but yours looks great. B) I have custom straps from better known makers that have worse stitching than the one you have pictured. I'm glad you found a new source for straps, we always need more of those. ;)

I have a surprise when V comes back. He's my partner in strap-crime. ;)

I am back! Where is my surprise????????????? :p

On the strap matter I think the stitching looks more than good for a new strapmaker's effort. With more practice the next ones can be great. :)