When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What would you do?

SuperDanX

OK, like most of you I'm a long time fan of the Rolex submariner and have always wanted one, sadly its always been just out reach, anyway I'm not comfortable with spending 2.5k on a watch tbh. That said, I've been working and saving hard and have managed to save 1400GBP for a dream gen watch and have been looking at Omega seamasters and PO's. Beautiful watches but still not a sub:( for various reason its not possible to increase my budget now or in the future so its pretty much now or never as I'm unlikely to ever be in this position again, financially.

Which leads me to my problem, up until a few weeks ago i had know idea how good replicas have become and have been amazed at the work you guys do on your watches! Amazing, amazing stuff. I'm so impressed I'm now considering have a vintage sub with a gen Rolex movement build for me instead of buying a gen Omega, I'm i crazy!? What would you do? What should i do? Any ideas who could do this work in the UK? And would my budget be enough? (I'm thinking, red vintage sub, or Comex rep with gen Rolex movement and mostly gen parts built on an mbw) Thank for your help :)

Edited by SuperDanX

Ok, like most of you im a long time fan of the Rolex submariner and have always wanted one, sadly its always been just out reach, anyway im not comfortable with spending 2.5k on a watch tbh. That said, ive been working and saving hard and have managed to save 1400GBP for a dream gen watch and have been looking at Omega seamasters and PO's. Beautiful watches but still not a sub:( for various reason its not possible to increase my budget now or in the future so its pretty much now or never as im unlikly to ever be in this position again, financialy.

Which leads me to my problem, up until a few weeks ago i had know idea how good replicas have become and have been amazmed at the work you guys do on your watches! Amazing, amazing stuff. Im so impressed im now considering have a vintage sub with a gen Rolex movement bulid for me instead of buying a gen Omega, im i crazy!? What would you do? What should i do? Any ideas who could do this work in the UK? And would my budget be enough? (im thinking, red vintage sub, or Comex rep with gen rolex movment and mostly gen parts built on an mbw) Thank for your help :)

First off welcome to the forum!

Personally, I would just go with an eta, unless you plan on walking around with a case tool and showing everyone the movement all the time. That movement alone would take up most of your project's budget. Go for a Gen dial if you want to spend the dough on it, and check with the people here on the forum first before you pull the trigger on one. Just keep looking around and you'll find an MBW for sale

Good luck!

I had a sub lv, and a daytona. I decided it wasnt worth it. rolex is a fairly mass produced brand, so the watches arent that exotic, once you get used to them. The thrill doesnt stay that long.

Id go for an mbw, or something the like. Virtually there is no difference. If you ad a gen dial, and a gen bracelet, you have the same watch.

If it was really hard to earn that money, i think youd be better of with a rep.

And im all for gens, just not when it comes to rolexes. They just dont seem worth the price.

Food for thought there, thanks for the replies. I see your points regarding gen movements and I'll bear it in mind. Its not that i think a gen movement would be better than a eta, just that I'm a perfectionist and would prefer it for the sake of accuracy (i don't mean time keeping accuracy) i understand it may not be possible in my budget though. And yes i worked hard to save that cash, I'm not a rich man, i just like nice things:)

Edited by SuperDanX

Well, then you would be far better served with an ETA movt, in a gen case/dial/bracelet!....sort of a reverse Franken :p

And far more easily achievable!

Offshore

Where on earth am i going to get a gen case for a vintage sub within my budget? :huh: unless your referring to those 'nam cases?

Edited by SuperDanX

Here is what you do......contact TTK and buy a MBW 1680. These vintage MBW are OUTSTANDING in terms of fit and finish as well as overall quality. A real piece of wrist art without any mods IMO. Actually I know you said you are interested in a SUB but I can tell you that a Great White SD is even more awesome on the wrist. SD are not close to being as common as Subs so much less chance of being called out. The SD is a thicker/more substantial watch. Once you get the watch contact one of the modders on these boards and have the following completed;

CLARKE crystal (close to gen and much cheaper)

CG sanded down

Gen insert and pearl

Lugs holes drilled

Waterproofing

I know that the dials on MBW are nit picked for differences vs. the gen but again IMO no one is going to notice. Its that .000001% of the population that are Rolex junkies that could tell the difference and they would need to have the watch off your wrist and examine it closely to be able to call it out. The dials are FINE. Same goes for the bracelet.

The other thing that I would recommend is not getting the watch all beat up to "age" it so it looks like a 30 year old watch. Its going to get its share of scuffs and scratches from you just wearing the watch. Its a BEAUTIFUL watch...dont smash the crap out of it...it then looks like an old beat up watch. What you want eventually is a watch that looks like it was worn...not beat to hell and back. I can tell you that if I have my 1680 and 1665 30 years from now they are going to look very similar to how they look today. I think that would be the same for anyone who collects and takes care of watches. You tend to keep very nice those things you collect and cherish. I would think with all the above your spending less than 1000 bucks..watch, mods and all. Just do it and you wont be disappointed.

Thanks for that mate, alas i don't think my skinny wrists would take a SD:lol:

If i go ahead, a 1680 red sub build on a mbw case would be :wub: just like ptolomeo's beauty, come to think of it Tribal is based in the EU.. Hmm, what would my options be as far as Rolex movements go? And is 1400gbp/2800usd a realistic budget for a rollie movement 1680 frankensub?

Edited by SuperDanX

If you were talking about $1,400, I would recommend either a certain Vietnam-based (ETA-powered) rep or an MBW franken (the gen Rolex movement will set you back approx $1,200+ by itself). But if you have 1400GBP, why not consider some used Subs -- the gen kind? Prices for these generally begin around 1400GBP.

Have you checked Timezone.com's Sales Corner or Watchnet.com? Or even ebay (but check & verify before buying anything on the bay)?

Oh dear, looks like a rolex movements a no go then. I hear what your saying about buying a gen, but all the ones I've seen over here are starting at 1700gbp and up, i would never buy a 'gen' from ebay, never, and im not that keen on buying a gen from overseas and I'm not keen on modern subs, dunno?:shrugs: and id have to scrape together more cash for a gen too which is impossible right now. My budgets been creeping up and up for months now i gotta draw a line somewhere..? GAH!:Frustration:

Edited by SuperDanX

Oh dear, looks like a rolex movements a no go then. I hear what your saying about buying a gen, but all the ones ive seen over here are starting at 1700gbp and up, i would never buy a 'gen' from ebay, never, and im not that keen on buying a gen from overseas and im not keen on modern subs, dunno?:shrugs: and id have to scrape together more cash for a gen too which is impossible right now. My budgets been creeping up and up for months now i gotta draw a line somewhere..? GAH!:Frustrastion:

I hear your frustration & understand budget constraints. And you are preaching to the choir when it comes to a preference for vintage over modern. But.........

Your kitty is so close to the entryway to a 14060 that I think you would be crazy to spend nearly the cost of a modern gen (which is likely to increase in the future) on a (rep) watch that has no real (legal) value. As an example, this 14060, which comes with box & papers, could probably be bargained down to your 1400GBP and there are others at a similar price level.

The very 1st thing youshould do...is contact me on Skype.....I'll give you the complete skinny on Submariners......and 'Nam cases etc etc...you do NOT have to purchase from me.....but as I speak good English.....I'm sure I can provide you with some insights......!

Hi Guys,

If your dream was a genuine Rolex, go for your dream.

1400 Pounds is around 1900 euros and for that price you can find a 14060 (sub no date) or an Explorer II with no papers no box.

A genuine Rolex was my dream, and it took me up to the gae of 47 to have the balls to go for it after spending thousands in rep.

Gor for your dream.

Shop here if you're in europe

http://www.rlx-sales.com/sales/offers/

Or, for Rolex between 1500 and 2000 euros,

http://www.rlx-sales.com/sales/offers/?suc...amp;ascdesc=ASC

Cheers

Stephane

Hi TTK, is it possible to email you? As i cant do skype. IF i take this route i will be in touch with you TTK, but i have to have a good long think about it all. I'm enthusiastic about the project but on the other hand freddy333 is talking a lot of sense. Btw not one person said i should go for a gen Omega:D

Thanks guys, ttk I'll be in touch as and when:)

Edited by SuperDanX

TTK knows his stuff. One last point...there is no need..none to put a Rolex movement inside a rep case. The ETA that it comes with will last many decades and will be much easier and cheaper to service if it needs work. The modern ETA movement is superior to the 30 year old Rolex movement also. No one will ever ask you to open the back of your watch!!!!!!! The difference in sweep would only be noticed by someone who knows his stuff and you would need to remove your watch and place it in his hands for it to be noticable. I took my MBW GWSD to a local watchmaker to have a CLARKE crystal installed and the case waterproofed. The watch had to be taken into NYC for this work to be completed. The local guy came back and told me everyone thought it was real. They never knew such great reps were available. When I told him what I paid he could not believe it. All he could do is shake his head and say UN believable!. He had the same comments concerning my MBW 1680 as well as my GMT Master with the 2892 movement. (although he did notice the date mag being off with my GMT)

OK, maybe an eta or a gen would be more sensible? surely its madness to buy a gen from a forum and/or from abroad , especially in light of what I've seen here!

ill post again when I've made a decision about this. i could be some time...lol!

Thanks to everyone for your help/making me see sense;)

I took my MBW GWSD to a local watchmaker to have a CLARKE crystal installed and the case waterproofed. The local guy came back and told me everyone thought it was real. All he could do is shake his head and say UN believable!. He had the same comments concerning my MBW 1680 as well as my GMT Master with the 2892 movement. (although he did notice the date mag being off with my GMT)

I am only an amateur, but I can easily tell the difference between an ETA & a vintage Rolex movement by listening to and/or winding them. And the difference in the fit & finish between the gen and MBW (even when modded with gen parts) is palpable when handling these watches. I can understand a watchmaker being surprised at how good your reps are, but if, after handling them, they thought your MBWs were gens, I would seriously question their experience level.

I splashed out on a gen Omega Speedmaster Professional some years ago. I have small wrists but soon got used to the size. It is one of the worlds great timepieces and I love having a decent gen in my collection just to shut the people up who complain about me owning reps. You could certainly get a second hand speedy, I'm not sure how much they are new but you are not far off. Although I may very well buy a gen mvmt for one or more of my reps in the future, if I had your

i cant understand why most people would go for a rolex rep. if i had that amount of cash, i would eleminate the rep option and would search the web for a beautifull gen. there are some great brands that you could buy. omega, breitling, corum,mont blanc,etc... take the time to make your decision, if you buy a rep, maybe in a year or even before, you will regret it, just because its a rep, and, as you speek, you'll never have the oportunity to buy a gen anymore.

so in 4 words, go for a gen. ;)

I am only an amateur, but I can easily tell the difference between an ETA & a vintage Rolex movement by listening to and/or winding them. And the difference in the fit & finish between the gen and MBW (even when modded with gen parts) is palpable when handling these watches. I can understand a watchmaker being surprised at how good your reps are, but if, after handling them, they thought your MBWs were gens, I would seriously question their experience level.

I would agree with modern rolex watches. In terms of fit and finish the vintage MBW 1680 or 1665 are very comparable. These are beautiful well built timepieces! The beat certainly is different however what takes everyone aback is just how nice these reps LOOK. I think everyone on here is spoiled because we all have access to the very best reps in the world. Most do not know this level of quality exists. Most when they see the vintage MBW assume they are real because they look so good. Take a stroll down Canal street in NY and see what incredibly LOUSEY quality the average person thinks of when they think of fake rolex. I was just there during the Christmas holidays ( I live about 45 min from Manhatten). The best Rolex sub I could find..and I looked everywhere asking for the very best.....was C R A P.