When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wearing Reps to the Gym

Victoria

I've been a member for 18 years, so they give me free reign of the place! Slai, have you tried using rubbers or light weights to strengthen ur RC? Just do a lot of

Yeah, I started doing a lot more RC exercises after I first recovered from a partial torn supraspinatus just over a year ago. I was using the cable station for most of my RC exercises. I thought I was doing ok until I got a little overambitious with overhead barbell squats last week. On the plus side, it isn't as bad as my previous injury...now I'm forced to switch my routine to more cardio. Ugh.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an impressive amount of weight you're pressing there ;)

Do you workout with a 3-day split or 4-day split or total body? :D

so what do you lift for reps after that warm up ? :D or did the smith machine have a negative rep at all ?? :lol: ... (all in fun man) gotta have a sense of humor at our gym... B)

my "apparel" post-2172-1200525695_thumb.jpg

I don't really have any room on my wrist for anything else.. different wraps for different day's.. different straps for back day...white powder is not what you think :o

how do I tell time ?? .. wall clock.. not that I'm overly concerned with it.. and all cardio machines now have timers.. do i need to time my sets..no not really .. never had the type of training to be able to wear a timepiece..

@slai.. if you were to bring a camera into our gym and you weren't with the media or contracted by the gym or sponsors to a meet or "show" .. ahhh you would be asked politely to leave.... no one has ever argued that.. :rolleyes: phone cameras not allowed out of the bags in the locker rooms

forgot some of the mottos at the gym.. Go hard or go Home....... Shut up and Lift...

post-2172-1200525841_thumb.jpg

HikeUSA, your gym doesn't frown on bringing a cam in?

Ahh...benchpresses...I just reinjured my right rotator cuff so no pressing for me for a few weeks. :(

get some MSM take 15000 mgs a day(health food store or costco), 800 mgs ibuprofen 3x daily..... and in 2 weeks you will feel 100% better.. when you go back use dumb bells for a while...

get some MSM take 15000 mgs a day(health food store or costco), 800 mgs ibuprofen 3x daily..... and in 2 weeks you will feel 100% better.. when you go back use dumb bells for a while...

I've actually got some celebrex leftover from what I first injured it. I've never tried MSM...I'll give it a shot, thanks! I use dbs for all presses. :)

I've actually got some celebrex leftover from what I first injured it. I've never tried MSM...I'll give it a shot, thanks! I use dbs for all presses. :)

I know this is off topic.. but oh well .. MSM Methylsulfonylmethane .. it's a sulfate that the body produces naturally for joints... it came out on the market not too long ago.. i started taking it on advise from a friend.. i could not do military on the barbell full range.. a friend at the gym..he's a neurosurgeon.. told me the body needs up to 20000 mg a day.. i was taking 2000.. so i upped it to 15 to 20 pills a day.. and now can do 225 250 military (free weights) barbell full range.. take the MSM only once in a while to maintain.

I know this is off topic.. but oh well .. MSM Methylsulfonylmethane .. it's a sulfate that the body produces naturally for joints... it came out on the market not too long ago.. i started taking it on advise from a friend.. i could not do military on the barbell full range.. a friend at the gym..he's a neurosurgeon.. told me the body needs up to 20000 mg a day.. i was taking 2000.. so i upped it to 15 to 20 pills a day.. and now can do 225 250 military (free weights) barbell full range.. take the MSM only once in a while to maintain.

Good one Lani!!! Add Gloucosamine/Chondroitin (from Costco/Kirkland - Consumer Reports rated #1 last year) 3x a day........good for the joints overall.....quit running 10 years ago (for 1 year) due to OsteoArthritis on my right knee, then read Dr. Theodasakis (I think) book about gloucosamine b4 anyone heard about it (had to special order from a Lab in LA at the time) and been back running since then, but also been taking these stuff (added MSM two years ago) since then!

Lani!!! by looking at your pictures, you look like you're a serious lifter.....225-250 FW military...dude!!! That's some serious load! I could only do that on Smith! Hats off to'ya! Watch during GYM time....sh#@*%...I was born with one :wub: just can't go without one! We don't really need it! Time is all over the place....Cell phone, wall clock, PCs/Laptops, bank signs, buildings, etc. etc. etc., but we all here buy 5-10-15-20-50 of them.......we're different folks!!!! Some say we're nuts, but that just our nature! That's why we belong to two, three different forums.......hehehe!

Cameras' on our gym......this is a small gym in our bulilding and everybody knows everyone......nobody cares! One of the guys actually took some of these shots..........

Good one Lani!!! Add Gloucosamine/Chondroitin (from Costco/Kirkland - Consumer Reports rated #1 last year) 3x a day........good for the joints overall.....quit running 10 years ago (for 1 year) due to OsteoArthritis on my right knee, then read Dr. Theodasakis (I think) book about gloucosamine b4 anyone heard about it (had to special order from a Lab in LA at the time) and been back running since then, but also been taking these stuff (added MSM two years ago) since then!

Lani!!! by looking at your pictures, you look like you're a serious lifter.....225-250 FW military...dude!!! That's some serious load! I could only do that on Smith! Hats off to'ya! Watch during GYM time....sh#@*%...I was born with one :wub: just can't go without one! We don't really need it! Time is all over the place....Cell phone, wall clock, PCs/Laptops, bank signs, buildings, etc. etc. etc., but we all here buy 5-10-15-20-50 of them.......we're different folks!!!! Some say we're nuts, but that just our nature! That's why we belong to two, three different forums.......hehehe!

Cameras' on our gym......this is a small gym in our bulilding and everybody knows everyone......nobody cares! One of the guys actually took some of these shots..........

.. yeah some people feel lost without the wristi..... I can't sleep without a timepiece on my wrist.. ..

nah ... my buddies are all world class, they warm up with 300 lb. bench, do over 400 reverse grip.... some training for World strong man comp... the "Young guns" we call them..now it's our turn to push them to their limits..

check with your doc, there is a fluid that is shot into the knees and shoulders.. selav--- can't remember the name .. it stays in the joint for a year or more and acts like a cartilage.. supposeldy really great stuff...i keep wanting it done.. no cartilage in my left knee

the only reason for the ban on camera's .. there's a lot of my friends that have parlayed their bodybuilding or power lifting into very lucrative endorsments and contracts, and they train alot of people who like their privacy. the news cameras come in alot and screw up your training.. pain....... plus the locker room perves

but whatever you wear.. wear it well...

.. yeah some people feel lost without the wristi..... I can't sleep without a timepiece on my wrist.. ..

nah ... my buddies are all world class, they warm up with 300 lb. bench, do over 400 reverse grip.... some training for World strong man comp... the "Young guns" we call them..now it's our turn to push them to their limits..

check with your doc, there is a fluid that is shot into the knees and shoulders.. selav--- can't remember the name .. it stays in the joint for a year or more and acts like a cartilage.. supposeldy really great stuff...i keep wanting it done.. no cartilage in my left knee

the only reason for the ban on camera's .. there's a lot of my friends that have parlayed their bodybuilding or power lifting into very lucrative endorsments and contracts, and they train alot of people who like their privacy. the news cameras come in alot and screw up your training.. pain....... plus the locker room perves

but whatever you wear.. wear it well...

Ouch! Does that mean no cardio for you....or just something else? I'm doing ok so far! Just can't do marathons anymore! Doing a lot of cardio cross training......gotta maintain the stamina to do my mountain climbing escapades! It's a pain (in the knee) going down, though. Another reason why I can't really bulk up....I can't get too heavy, else the knee will complain! Good luck to 'ya! Hope your left knee holds up! Watch those 500lbs squats :thumbsupsmileyanim::1a:

:lol: :lol:

I like your 'tude, Tech.

BTW, your allusion to a "locked" locker actually did happen to me. I had my racketball racket, and Sport Walkman (remember those? In yellow) stolen from a ritzy gym locker once, and I never again returned.

I like Laz' watch, a lot though!

Hey Victoria....I still have my Yellow Sport Walkman....I used to match it up with my Swatch Yamaha Racer....back in the 80's...girl, weren't we sooooooo kewl back then....rockin' out to OMD and the Thompson Twins....LOL

gj700z.jpg

:yeah: :yeah:

:rofl:

Ouch! Does that mean no cardio for you....or just something else? I'm doing ok so far! Just can't do marathons anymore! Doing a lot of cardio cross training......gotta maintain the stamina to do my mountain climbing escapades! It's a pain (in the knee) going down, though. Another reason why I can't really bulk up....I can't get too heavy, else the knee will complain! Good luck to 'ya! Hope your left knee holds up! Watch those 500lbs squats :thumbsupsmileyanim::1a:

Stair climber, stairmaster, reconban bike (sic) eliptical.. just no pounding.. stil can move the whole rack on leg extentions.. squats are with heavy wraps

yeah going up is not a problem, the high impact on the knee cap is coming down..... "go hard or go home".. bra... :D

MSM.....gotta comment here...that stuff is excellent.

I started taking it back in 1998 on the recommendation from my dog breeder.....huh?

Yes, he bred Chinese Shar-Pei's and he used to give the MSM to them. He had it in powder form in huge tubs....he claimed that he started taking it for his aches and pains and how much it helpled him...and so he started giving it to his dogs....he was one of the original members that brought the Shar-Pei from China back in the 60s to the states that helped revive the breed. So he did a lot of experimentation on the dogs with all kinds of voodoo and s h it.....but MSM was something he swore by...

I was a huge gym rat then and that stuff was a miracle powder for sure....don't need it now but I highly recommend it for folks with joint pain...

B)

MSM.....gotta comment here...that stuff is excellent.

I started taking it back in 1998 on the recommendation from my dog breeder.....huh?

Yes, he bred Chinese Shar-Pei's and he used to give the MSM to them. He had it in powder form in huge tubs....he claimed that he started taking it for his aches and pains and how much it helpled him...and so he started giving it to his dogs....he was one of the original members that brought the Shar-Pei from China back in the 60s to the states that helped revive the breed. So he did a lot of experimentation on the dogs with all kinds of voodoo and s h it.....but MSM was something he swore by...

I was a huge gym rat then and that stuff was a miracle powder for sure....don't need it now but I highly recommend it for folks with joint pain...

B)

way off topic but since we're here... yup MSM is not a temporary fix.. hardly take it anymore maybe once every 2 week for a day...

had 2 shar-pei's... male was sired by a grand champion "Fire Wok with me" Wok Man for short... .. Margems Kennels .. he past a year and a half ago. man i miss him "Koa" Pua was sired by a state champion... the history of the shar-pei in America is cool... they were in the guiness book as the rarest dog on the Planet at one time.. In Ancient china.. they were the Emperors Tomb guards, arguably one of the oldest breeds in recorded history... over 2000 years i believe..... cool stuff.. bring back good memories .. thanks Tech.. :D

Hey Victoria....I still have my Yellow Sport Walkman....I used to match it up with my Swatch Yamaha Racer....back in the 80's...girl, weren't we sooooooo kewl back then....rockin' out to OMD and the Thompson Twins....LOL

Actually, Tech, I was using the Yellow Sport Walkman (with cassette tape and radio!) in the LATE LATE 90s! Mine was the digital version:

tnwmbf59amr1.jpg

I did have the Madonna half-gloves when I was a little girl and posters of Bros on my wall, though. :lol:

Reading through this post it is amusing how I thought to myself that the wall clock in the gym suffices for time inquiries, then lo and behold, Lanikai states just that. I don't see how a hard sweaty workout is going to be improved by a wristwatch. They get in the way, get sweaty and possibly damaged. No watches in the gym has always been my choice and many seem to feel the same at the 24 hour fitness gym I use, a very busy place. I suppose for the nascisistic, wearing a fancy rep and dawdling about on the machines might provide some satisfaction, but for those who are there for a serious workout, I think not.

I train a lot, 4 times a week in the gym and 3 times on the field (Rugby) and i never ever wear a watch. Only when running i sometimesss wear one, a polar works perfect. But i don't run a lot caus i keep telling myself that with my 220lbs i am not build for the long distance running ;)

When lifting, a watch is only bothering me cause my wrist bends and moves all the time. When i had to pick one i'd say take a light one with rubber strap, no ss or kevlar or other material that absorbs all the sweat.

Thx for the MSM tip guys. Just picked some up and I hope it helps.

HikeUSA and lanikai, gloves, straps? Who needs stinkin gloves? It's all about the callouses. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Watches included to stay on topic. ;)

callouses.jpg

Now!!!! Thats what I call a real man........ :rofl: Gloves are for sissies :yuk::Jumpy: .....not that there's anything wrong with that!!!! LOL!

Watches included to stay on topic. ;)

callouses.jpg

When I played tennis but particularly golf, I used to get callouses just there on my ungloved left hand (I swing lefty, though I write righty). Editted.

Nice peak at your collection and Seiko Mostro, Slai!

P.S.: I'm not going to be power-lifting, obviously. I'm going for a full cardio workout, and easy does it in the beginning -- I'm no gym rat like you guys! ;) My goal is to shed the stone I gained last year, so that I can go back to tennis particularly. It's my great sporting love.

I suppose for the nascisistic, wearing a fancy rep and dawdling about on the machines might provide some satisfaction, but for those who are there for a serious workout, I think not.

I don't wear a fancy rep/gen to the gym and I don't dawdle....I wear my watch everywhere I go. It is used to tell the time.

Nothing narcissistic about that.

I guess I'm just goofing off at the gym based on your assertion.

B)

way off topic but since we're here... yup MSM is not a temporary fix.. hardly take it anymore maybe once every 2 week for a day...

had 2 shar-pei's... male was sired by a grand champion "Fire Wok with me" Wok Man for short... .. Margems Kennels .. he past a year and a half ago. man i miss him "Koa" Pua was sired by a state champion... the history of the shar-pei in America is cool... they were in the guiness book as the rarest dog on the Planet at one time.. In Ancient china.. they were the Emperors Tomb guards, arguably one of the oldest breeds in recorded history... over 2000 years i believe..... cool stuff.. bring back good memories .. thanks Tech.. :D

Wowsers....I'll bet my breeder knows that bloodline....At one time I had 4 Shar-Pei all from his original brought over from china dogs....Two have passed on but the other two are still kickin' it...an all chocolate/ebony one and the other a white/ivory one.

Yes the hx of the breed is something else....took a long time to get recognized by the AKC...tough, sweet dogs and playful as hell...

okay...way off topic here mods....lol

:p

When I played tennis but particularly golf, I used to get callouses just there on my ungloved left hand (I swing lefty, though I write righty). Editted.

Nice peak at your collection and Seiko Mostro, Slai!

P.S.: I'm not going to be power-lifting, obviously. I'm going for a full cardio workout, and easy does it in the beginning -- I'm no gym rat like you guys! ;) My goal is to shed the stone I gained last year, so that I can go back to tennis particularly. It's my great sporting love.

I'm with you there Viktorija, I picked up about 8 of those stones :lol::bangin::Jumpy: !lol:lol:lol

Wowsers....I'll bet my breeder knows that bloodline....At one time I had 4 Shar-Pei all from his original brought over from china dogs....Two have passed on but the other two are still kickin' it...an all chocolate/ebony one and the other a white/ivory one.

Yes the hx of the breed is something else....took a long time to get recognized by the AKC...tough, sweet dogs and playful as hell...

okay...way off topic here mods....lol

:p

I wear a rep to the gym .. until i change.. (ok that's for the topic) ;)

yes .. Margems Kennels is world renowned.. you will find mention of her in all the books and pics of her bloodline..

how "Fire Wok With Me" .. Wokman came to Hawaii is interesting.. there is a breeder on Kauai who's breed goes all over the world.. she gave up her real estate business for full time Shar-pei breeding...she was invited to a worlwide "specialty show" .. east coast someplace can't remember.. but there were breedeers from all over the world.. something like 800 dogs...

Wokman won best in show.. crowned "Grand Champion".. since it was a specialty show... at the Banquet.. the owner got to liking Charlie (she is the owner of Kauai King Shar-pei) .. and hinted that she would list Wokman to the right person... Charlie asked"at what price"... and was slipped a napkin with the amount written on it.. the couple from Belgium next to her looked at it when she opened it.. and whispered to Charlie "it would be in very poor taste to barter that price"... it was 15k.. a STEAL for a Grand Champion ..

and that 's how Wokman came to Hawaii.. of course no other show was ever without Wokman winning the Blue..... then came Koa..his brother's were here on this island too.. Koa and Pua were inseperable.. when Pua passed.. Koa sat in the Driveway all day until i would have to carry him in .. he was like that for 2 weeks .. broke my heart..when i had to leave him home during the day ... (first time in 10 years).. he tried to chew the door hinge off... we both were pretty beat up from Pua passing.. thier temperments were so mellow..and they actually were happy and exstatic to go to the vet.. sheez

anyway bringing back more great memories.. thanks man.. :)

here's some old shots of when Koa and Pua were pups.. 3 months old koa is the black face horse coat

post-2172-1200708296_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1200708316_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1200708330_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1200708343_thumb.jpg

In honour of Slai's sexylicious pic, I present you with my new Casio Baby-G Shock! :)

The three watches I'll be wearing: Rolex Air King from Silix. Hublot Big Bang Aspen from Narikaa. And mostly the Casio Baby-G from Amazon.

I don't need a watch to work out, but maybe you are like me -- you NEED a watch on your wrist. Doesn't feel right, otherwise.

rolexakhbbaspencasiobabph7.jpg

casiobabygrolexakze8.jpg

casiobabyghbbaspenag6.jpg

babygshockcasekz4.jpg

Was saving this Wristcheck for Monday, but hey.

casiobabygpoisonwristieje6.jpg