When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex cal.3035 into MBW16610?

Dizzy

Any of you "franken masters" know if this would even come close to working? I know the main issue is gunna be the stem position in the case... I found a good deal on a 3035 that runs well and i was considering tossing it into my MBW case with a gen dial. From what ive found.. the 3035 and 3135 are the same size?

ideas?

dizz

^_^ quote

Any of you "franken masters" know if this would even come close to working? I know the main issue is gunna be the stem position in the case... I found a good deal on a 3035 that runs well and i was considering tossing it into my MBW case with a gen dial. From what ive found.. the 3035 and 3135 are the same size?

ideas?

/quote]

The 3035 is about .3mm or .4mm thicker than the 3135 from the stem centerline to the dial.

For instance...a 3035 will not work in a case made for a 3135 because the stem will not center in the case tube...it binds in the tube.

BTW...the 3035 is not considered to be too hot outside rolexfreak circles. They have autowind assembly problems...broken rotor jewels etc, especially the top one.

The hairspring gets tangled on the balance co*ck when slammed. (probably one reason the 3135 went to a balance bridge)

The date sometimes hangs half way in the window or flips a day and a half.

The hairspring is laser welded to the collet and many have come loose...no fix except a new balance complete. Some claim to have superglued them back in place but I have my doubts.

etc, etc...

Maybe this is why they dropped the 3035 after about 10 years and still have the 3135 over 20 years later.

For the $$ and lack of hassle, I would stick with an Eta 2824, 2892 etc.

Because...

A replica is always a replica.

You can put a tuxedo on a pig.

It might look better.

...but you still have a pig. :p

Wow! jimmythree, I haven't seen you since the old RWG1! That's a great rundown on the 3035 movement. And to think I was thinking of maybe buying a gen 16800- maybe I'd be better off getting an early 16610.

Lonnie, as you might know from building Frankenjusts, the 2836-2 fits in the 16000 series Datejust cases from the 80's which took the 3035 movement and the 2824-2 fits in the 16200 series Datejust cases which take the 3135 movt. Since your MBW takes a 2836-2 movt, it might be possble to reverse fit a 3035 in there since the stem positions are relatively similar.

quote:

Wow! jimmythree, I haven't seen you since the old RWG1! That's a great rundown on the 3035 movement. And to think I was thinking of maybe buying a gen 16800- maybe I'd be better off getting an early 16610.

/quote

Yep, rather have the 3135.

I was also on the old EZ Board RWCC and TRC member #43 as "Rick" until I reregistered as J3 after a server meltdown.

I'm older that I look. :lol:

/quote]

BTW...the 3035 is not considered to be too hot outside rolexfreak circles. They have autowind assembly problems...broken rotor jewels etc, especially the top one.

The hairspring gets tangled on the balance co*ck when slammed. (probably one reason the 3135 went to a balance bridge)

The date sometimes hangs half way in the window or flips a day and a half.

The hairspring is laser welded to the collet and many have come loose...no fix except a new balance complete. Some claim to have superglued them back in place but I have my doubts.

etc, etc...

Maybe this is why they dropped the 3035 after about 10 years and still have the 3135 over 20 years later.

For the $$ and lack of hassle, I would stick with an Eta 2824, 2892 etc.

I totally agree. I used to see several faulty 3035s every year.

This was when they were still fairly new. I've serviced hundreds of 1570s and they are far tougher and don't suffer from any real problems. The barrel arbor can rust on a leaking watch and that causes serious wear issues which can kill the watch. It's an easy fix though.

The ETA 28XX series are more reliable and robust than the 3035, with the added benefits of value for money and excellent parts availability.

sorry mate but you couldn't use a 3X35 in a MBW case, the crown in that case sits lower than the 3035 position so you need to tap and make a new hole for the tube... too much work for a questionable result... the only gen movement that fit in a MBW case is a 1570 in a 1665 case with a bit of work (I made a couple of that watches), crown sits ok but you need to make the inner space for the movement screws a bit deeper (easy to do with a dremel).

hope this helps (well, thats my experience, maybe other member has another opinion)

Toni

the only gen movement that fit in a MBW case is a 1570 in a 1665 case with a bit of work (I made a couple of that watches), crown sits ok but you need to make the inner space for the movement screws a bit deeper (easy to do with a dremel).

Toni

Toni -- I am considering putting a 1570 into my MBW 1665 & was wondering if you could provide some additional details & pictures of the parts of the MBW case you had to dremel to fit the 1570?

Toni -- I am considering putting a 1570 into my MBW 1665 & was wondering if you could provide some additional details & pictures of the parts of the MBW case you had to dremel to fit the 1570?

Currently I'm out of MBW cases, sold my last one two weeks ago but I'm waiting the arrival of another Nam case, I'll take some pics to provide detailed instructions... just gimme till the next next week.

Cheers

Toni

Lonnie, as you might know from building Frankenjusts, the 2836-2 fits in the 16000 series Datejust cases from the 80's which took the 3035 movement and the 2824-2 fits in the 16200 series Datejust cases which take the 3135 movt. Since your MBW takes a 2836-2 movt, it might be possble to reverse fit a 3035 in there since the stem positions are relatively similar.

Very interesting! It might be a perfect fit!!! Wouldnt that be nice? But we all know it just cant be that easy lol. Im gunna have to really look into this now and see if i can make it work.

dizz

sorry mate but you couldn't use a 3X35 in a MBW case, the crown in that case sits lower than the 3035 position so you need to tap and make a new hole for the tube... too much work for a questionable result... the only gen movement that fit in a MBW case is a 1570 in a 1665 case with a bit of work (I made a couple of that watches), crown sits ok but you need to make the inner space for the movement screws a bit deeper (easy to do with a dremel).

hope this helps (well, thats my experience, maybe other member has another opinion)

Toni

I wonder how much it would be off by? Maybe spacer of some kind. But yeah its prob not even worth the time involved to do this mod.

I wonder how much it would be off by? Maybe spacer of some kind. But yeah its prob not even worth the time involved to do this mod.

Easy: just check the crow position in a gen and in your MBW, you will see that crown (I mean crown, tube, stem...) in the gen sits near the bezel while in you MBW the crown sits near the backcase...

this is my MBW LV with gen crown and tube, check the position, the other pic shows a gen sub...

post-266-1201004988_thumb.jpg

post-266-1201005142_thumb.jpg

But bear in mind that the rehaut on a 16800 sub case is less than that of the 16610. What you're looking for is the 3035 movement's crown/stem lining up like the 2836-2's in your MBW case- a simple test would be to stick it in there and see what you have. Install the dial on the movement, put the movement and dial in the case and see how the opening for the stem in the movement lines up thru the tube. If it's a straight shot, you're on to the next step- anchoring the movement in the case.