When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Platinum vs Stainless Steel

Raijor

I would like some opinions of the differences in color between stainless steel and platinum. I have never seen a platinum watch other than on my computer monitor and would like to know how our stainless steel reps colors differ from platinum. The rep of the Rolex Yacht-master is a good example of what I am trying to gauge. On the real thing the dial and bezel insert are platinum and on the rep they are stainless. Is the rep close or not? Cheers

Based on what you have said ... the colors of our stainless steel reps can make an adequate stand in for platinum, assuming they are not put side by side with the real metal of weighed. Is this a reasonable assumption or am I going too far? The reason i ask is because I am contemplating the new platinum Big Bang model and would just like to know how close the color will be to real platinum. Thanks

Based on what you have said ... the colors of our stainless steel reps can make an adequate stand in for platinum, assuming they are not put side by side with the real metal of weighed. Is this a reasonable assumption or am I going too far? The reason i ask is because I am contemplating the new platinum Big Bang model and would just like to know how close the color will be to real platinum. Thanks

The color is close. Platinum is whiter than SS. SS has a blue cast to it. Howver, you really cannot tell the difference when you have it on your wrist. You can tell the difference when you have them next to one another under a light source. As platinum ages it gets a grayish look. But, again no one will know.

Go to a Rolex dealer and ask to look at the Rolex Platinum President Daydate and ask to see also one of the rolex SS watches and look at them side-by-side. You will see a diference, but fairly subtle.

"I am contemplating the new platinum Big Bang model"

raijor, unless i'm mistaken, the platinum BB's are actually platinum plated. which means that they will look EXACTLY like platinum. unlike other opinions here, i think there is a noticeable difference between platinum and stainless steel. platinum, as well as 18K WG (rhodium that is) are much more 'white' in appearance and, frankly, look classier than SS. a collector or jeweler will spot the difference from quite a distance, certainly for example if you are sitting around a conference table. now, whether a rep that is plated with platinum is worth the premium price being asked, is another question...

Edited by Watchwatcher

It's hard to tell, actually, and the hue is even harder to capture in photographs (even shot in natural light, which is the most "honest" lighting).

There are a few variables, however. Steel & white gold have more of a cooler, grey look to them (white gold being a little less cool than steel).

Generally, platinum has a warmer look, like that of pure silver (it has a bit of white-ish hue to it):

platinum2.jpg

(platinum)

Occasionally platinum has a palladium plating, but this is not common; platinum is usually just highly polished, like steel.

But white-gold isn't a periodic element, like gold or platinum; it's an alloy It's not actually "white", per se, it's more yellow-ish in color, and is generally coated with another alloy--either rhodium or palladium:

whitegold.jpg

(white gold)

This is why "pure" white gold shows wear & tear very easily; it has to be replated every-so-often.

Steel has a darker hue than the other two:

steel2.jpg

(steel)

But it depends on which type of steel. The sides of a Submariner case, for instance, are merely highly polished, not plated:

RolexSubSSBlk-5.jpg

(polished steel)

The bezel of a steel Daytona, however, is also polished and then rhodium plated:

07dw7.jpg

(rhodium plated steel)

(all the watches pictured are genuine, and are shot in natural light)

Edited by gioarmani

White gold and platinum have a whiter appearance when compared to the bluish tint of SS. Pretty easy to tell the difference side by side on brushed metal ; However it is difficult to tell the difference between them when you are comparing polished surfaces

Large expanses of polished areas are mostly reflective and the metals lose their distinction, as on the casebacks

dsc0098jpg7by0.jpg

white gold and platinum are uniformly white despite the angle of light. Some say they seem to have a glow, and retain their whiteness even in dimmer light. . . .(white gold flanked by SS)

dsc0146jpg14oa2.jpg

Raijor<

Let's settle this. would you please go to some fine watch dealer ... ask to see both a platinum and a stainless watch ... Then you come tell us what YOU think.

I will be looking for your judgement about how similar or different you think they are, after having seen them side by side.

Several manufacturer uses rhodium plating above white gold because rhodium is harder etc. The reflectance spectra of white gold alloys (depending on other elements, like nickel, palladium etc.), different stainless steel qualities and platinium as well as rhodium are quite close each other. Everything is also related on the finnish of the surface, observaton light and also observer. The spectra are diffrent; however, the eye sees only 400...700 nm range that is almost similar in all the metals/alloys. It hard to say if it is possible physically to distinguish all these materials from each other. :unsure:

This is a very informative thread and I appreciate what I have been able to learn from it. Here is what I have so far: It is hard to distinguish the difference between the look of the metals unless they are compared side by side and even then the difference is subtle, with platinum being the whiter of the group and stainless the darkest. Anybody care to comment if I have got it summed up?

I really can not notice a difference between the bezel of the Daytona and the rest of the watch. Until now I had never known that the Daytona had a Rhodium plated bezel.

It's hard to tell, actually, and the hue is even harder to capture in photographs (even shot in natural light, which is the most "honest" lighting).

There are a few variables, however. Steel & white gold have more of a cooler, grey look to them (white gold being a little less cool than steel).

Generally, platinum has a warmer look, like that of pure silver (it has a bit of white-ish hue to it):

platinum2.jpg

(platinum)

Occasionally platinum has a palladium plating, but this is not common; platinum is usually just highly polished, like steel.

But white-gold isn't a periodic element, like gold or platinum; it's an alloy It's not actually "white", per se, it's more yellow-ish in color, and is generally coated with another alloy--either rhodium or palladium:

whitegold.jpg

(white gold)

This is why "pure" white gold shows wear & tear very easily; it has to be replated every-so-often.

Steel has a darker hue than the other two:

steel2.jpg

(steel)

But it depends on which type of steel. The sides of a Submariner case, for instance, are merely highly polished, not plated:

RolexSubSSBlk-5.jpg

(polished steel)

The bezel of a steel Daytona, however, is also polished and then rhodium plated:

07dw7.jpg

(rhodium plated steel)

(all the watches pictured are genuine, and are shot in natural light)