When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Played with gen. Carrera just a few minutes ago

lazarini

Well you know what they say , a gen. is a gen. and boy are they right ...

to the point the boss of our department is leaving after 12 yeas in the company so he stopped by my desk to say farwell ... as we chatting and reminiscing on times i joined (4 years ago) i spoted a tag carrera crono on a rubber strap on his wrist.

I know he is a watch lover but never saw this piece before , he has been wearing a gen Omega de Ville usually , so i went ahead and i asked about it and how much he payed .

He smilled and said he got it yesterday as an award for his achievements in the company . he took it of his wrists and let me inspect it ...

Great workmanship and really nice watch sits impressive on the wrist he got the black dialed version on a rubber strap .

Me like it alot

Just outa curiosity how close are the reps of this model ..

regards laz

I bought one of these for a friend. The only flaw that I could see was the date font. Swap swiss datewheel over for the asian one already in there, and nobody would be able to tell the difference, they really are a great replica, of a very classy watch!

It is very close but not the same. The gen has better finishing, edges are more defined, no crooked markers, dial is extremely clean with no little speck or imperfection in paint, bezel is aligned straight, etc. So from a distant, the rep looks fine, but any gen for that matter will trash the rep in the finishing department period. Thats why its gen.

I purchased this rep from Andrew about 6 months ago, with SSB not rubber, I don't wear it too much because I prefer some others, but the watch is great, very high quality, works perfectly. Costed little more than the silix one, I can see that in mine the date font is different and the two big dials have thin silver and not white borders. Attached a pic.

Yes, the Carrera Chrono is a wonderful watch, and close to the gen. One of my favorites.

The only "big" flaw, apart from the date font, is that the text and logo on the dial is slightly darker than on the gen. (The Chopard Mille Miglia has the same flaw). The other small flaws doesn't really matter to me. The movement is even decorated quite close to the gen. Blue screws and the lack of regulator tells it apart from the ETA 7750 used in the genuine.

Strangely the watch does not have any AR, either gen or rep. There are a lot of glare.

Strangely the watch does not have any AR, either gen or rep. There are a lot of glare.

Link Chrono has the same problem. Both rep and gen.

My blue Link Chrono was the most reflective watch I've ever seen. If some watch needs AR, it's that one. Amazing rep though.

Link Chrono has the same problem. Both rep and gen.

My blue Link Chrono was the most reflective watch I've ever seen. If some watch needs AR, it's that one. Amazing rep though.

But actually, the lack of AR is in line with the "vintage" appearance of the classic Carrera! :lol:

My Link CJF2110 actually does have decent one-sided AR.

DSC_2976_small.jpg

Yep. I'm talking about the "polished bezel" version. Here's my (already departed) Link:

2a.jpg

I've become quite attracted to that brushed bezel version lately. I might even grab one of those eventually. I really like the Link bracelet, and I kinda miss wearing one.

If you are referring to this one, it is very accurate. I am in the process of putting the datewheel in it. Chrgod is right, it has a tone of glare. So much that i might get it coated even though the gen has no AR. It's a very versitle watch imho.

DSC03116.jpg

DSC03114.jpg

DSC03110.jpg

Yep. I'm talking about the "polished bezel" version. Here's my (already departed) Link:

2a.jpg

re

I've become quite attracted to that brushed bezel version lately. I might even grab one of those eventually. I really like the Link bracelet, and I kinda miss wearing one.

By-Tor's pic is so good that it looks like it already has AR. BTW, my LINK chrono is returning within a few days from k2222. According to J the dial will "burn my eyes". I know there is an updated version of the gen TAG LINK chrono with AR, probably double. I tried it in AD, looked great.

No offense to anyone, but I loved the styling of this watch also and went to try on the gen. Was really excited to see it.

Man...... tags are just not even close to most gens.

The rep iwc's, panerais and HBB have nicer finishes than the gen tags I saw.

The fit and finish was junk IMHO

i owned one of these and also handled the gen (my watchsmith wears the gen).. and i heard someone said something about the difference in finish (reps being sharp blablabla).. i've held both in my hand.. and the feel of the bracelet and "edge" feels pretty similar to me.. i know rolex bracelets are sharp but these days breitling, iwcs and tag bracelets in reps are matched to gens..

anywho to the watch itself.. one of the glaring flaw is yes the datewheel itself.. but that's a quick swap.. and another is the subdial spacing.. ohh and if one knows what an eta7750 looks like and you expose the back.. then it's a tell!

anywho to the watch itself.. one of the glaring flaw is yes the datewheel itself.. but that's a quick swap.. and another is the subdial spacing.. ohh and if one knows what an eta7750 looks like and you expose the back.. then it's a tell!

What "subdial spacing"? There's no difference between Asian 7750 and ETA 7750 subdial spacing. It's completely identical.

What "subdial spacing"? There's no difference between Asian 7750 and ETA 7750 subdial spacing. It's completely identical.

I suppose he is referring to the microscopic difference in thickness of the 6 and 12 subdial surroundings. On the genuine it is a little bit more space between the subdial chapter ring and the 6 o'clock marker.

On the subject of Carrera and subdial flaws, one can also mention the "ragged subdials" on the Racing model.

I suppose he is referring to the microscopic difference in thickness of the 6 and 12 subdial surroundings. On the genuine it is a little bit more space between the subdial chapter ring and the 6 o'clock marker.

On the subject of Carrera and subdial flaws, one can also mention the "ragged subdials" on the Racing model.

what he said lol