When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gold Coast Oz Gtg

offshore

So I had a PM today from a fellow Gold Coaster, as it happens he lives a few streets away, we will most certainly have a chat in the coming weeks.

I remember Ken mentioned at least one other clever RWG'er, who lives here in heaven too!

So the question is- how many Gold Coasters ( or Brisbane members) are out there? And is there interest in a little soiree'

I'm up- time and place to be discussed/confirmed. Let me know here or by PM.

BTW I'm off for all next week.... my first holiday in a number of years.... looking forward to it!

So if this moves a little slowly- I'm just not here to answer!!

Offshore

MU

My rod, as you so wonderfully describe it- is 42' long, powered by 3200 horsepower, and does 160 mph.

The sport has been likened to standing under a cold shower, whilst doing ten rounds with Joe Bugner, ( another Gold Coast lad), and tearing up $1000 bills.

If you're game- forget the thong bikini- put in your mouthguard- and bring the money :D

Offshore

There are at least 3 of you that I know of down there ( poor bastards :p )

So just post a GTG and see if you can raise some interest!

Who knows - we may all come flocking to the city of churches for some cultural activities.

Or to see if you've got any good titty bars!

Offshore

Bump.

BTW, If any further replies come to this- I am away for 5 days from Monday- so don't get pissed at a lack of communication :p

Thought we had at least a couple in Brisbane??

We could meet 1/2 way for a drink or two........Beenleigh pub?

Offshore

42' long, powered by 3200 horsepower, and does 160 mph.

The sport has been likened to standing under a cold shower, whilst doing ten rounds with Joe Bugner, ( another Gold Coast lad), and tearing up $1000 bills.

This is incredible! I'm guessing there are four 800 hp engines. Just how expensive does this get?! :o

This is incredible! I'm guessing there are four 800 hp engines. Just how expensive does this get?! :o

The big boys are using 2 x V12 Lambo's @ 1600 a side, or Detroit diesels, with a bit more HP! ( But with a weight penalty)

The Lambo's are $700k, and around $300k for a major rebuild ( every 20 hrs) A complete rig runs around $2m, and about 1/2 that again, to run it for a season, ( If you want to play overseas)

For the interest, I retired hurt, ( Physically, financially, and emotionally) a few years back, after a close friend was killed. Whilst I never had the wearwithall to run a Class1 boat myself, I did Ok in the lower classes, and won a couple of Aus titles. Have had the great fortune to run some of these class 1 monsters, including placing in the worlds some years back. But as they say- thats history.

So back to my latest challenge- the work bench. But fine machinery,tools, and planning are required in both areas.

Offshore

PS My avatar is another mates boat- Class 3- 4L- only 350hp/26' long ( outboard) and maybe 100 mph on a good day.

The big boys are using 2 x V12 Lambo's @ 1600 a side, or Detroit diesels, with a bit more HP! ( But with a weight penalty)

The Lambo's are $700k, and around $300k for a major rebuild ( every 20 hrs) A complete rig runs around $2m, and about 1/2 that again, to run it for a season, ( If you want to play overseas)

For the interest, I retired hurt, ( Physically, financially, and emotionally) a few years back, after a close friend was killed. Whilst I never had the wearwithall to run a Class1 boat myself, I did Ok in the lower classes, and won a couple of Aus titles. Have had the great fortune to run some of these class 1 monsters, including placing in the worlds some years back. But as they say- thats history.

So back to my latest challenge- the work bench. But fine machinery,tools, and planning are required in both areas.

Offshore

PS My avatar is another mates boat- Class 3- 4L- only 350hp/26' long ( outboard) and maybe 100 mph on a good day.

Utterly astonishing stuff. Appreciate the info. The physical toll (and as you say emotional and financial) must be huge. The accomplishment and buzz must have been equally huge - but eventually the body can only take so much. And to think that footballers retire at 33 with sore knees :lol:

I'm always amazed by engineering at the limits. It seems to have a sense of endeavour about it (as opposed to painting 'go faster' stripes on a Holden, or making a shinier Harley Davidson - both of which would bore me to tears).

Good work :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Wish I could go out to the Gold Coast... or even Australia at some point.

I'm all the way around the world in (say it quietly) sunny England. It's summer here, so it's winter there, though I'm sure your winters are probably still good.

Hope it all goes well. :group: