When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

eBay and Paypal dispute

marrickvilleboy

thanks for the support guys...really appreciate it.

Do paypal have the authority to take money out of your bank account? I always thought that was not within their rights. Does anyone know exactly?

I have yet to hear back from the other buyer, who really should have recieved it by not. Will keep you guys updated with this situation.

Don't know about OZ but it is against the law in the US for anyone to be able to put a freeze on a personal bank account without a writ of judgement in their favor via a lawsuit. Even the IRS has to have a court ruling in their favor before your bank will freeze your account without your approval.

Here, all that -300 would mean is that the buyer is SOL. Paypal would find in their favor and give them nothing. Happened to me.

Bought a watch, it arrived broken. Seller refused to refund me so I filed a claim. Sixty days later, Paypal found in my favor and gave me $50 of the $600 I had paid for it as that was all the seller had in his account at the time. I turned around and filed a chargeback to my credit card company who found in my favor and paypal debited my account for the $50 they had originally given me after finding in my favor.

Absolutely, just as ebay debit attached accounts for sellers fees!

@gavidoc, a big difference between "freezing" a bank account, and debiting it.

This is why my "attached" accounts, both ebay and PP, are kept with low balances, and I can transfer from another account to cover bills when they arrive, or have funds to make payments.

My PP account is emptied as soon as funds arrive, and those funds shifted to another account which is "unattached"

My PP "attached" account, is a "Debit" CC account, to give me a charge back option if needed on a purchase gone wrong. Bugger PP they won't do anything but grab whatever money is availble.

You really need to be on top of all this, or PP will be on top of you!

Offshore

Absolutely, just as ebay debit attached accounts for sellers fees!

@gavidoc, a big difference between "freezing" a bank account, and debiting it.

This is why my "attached" accounts, both ebay and PP, are kept with low balances, and I can transfer from another account to cover bills when they arrive, or have funds to make payments.

My PP account is emptied as soon as funds arrive, and those funds shifted to another account which is "unattached"

My PP "attached" account, is a "Debit" CC account, to give me a charge back option if needed on a purchase gone wrong. Bugger PP they won't do anything but grab whatever money is availble.

You really need to be on top of all this, or PP will be on top of you!

Offshore

Point on the freeze vs. debit. Didn't really think about the difference. But.....

I also use a secondary account for paypal but have instructions with my bank to "stop transfer" on any outgoing transfers initiated by Paypal. There are ways to keep Paypal from being able to take money from your account and your institutions will work with you on doing it if you inform them of what you want them to do.

I actually had to do a stop transfer on them the other day when I purchased a watch. I forgot to change my payment feature from bank account to CC and they intiated a transfer from the account that had a huge sum of 11 dollars in it. Overdraft would have happened except my bank automatically stopped the transfer before it happened.