When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's your most undervalued watch?

anton

Today I was at an AD and I saw the PP Nautilus Jumbo. As much as I ogled over the watch, I had an MSRP in my head in case I wanted to buy and pay with my soul. I guess it could not be more than $10-11K; but could you believe that for a SS model that only has time display has an MSRP of $28K?!?!?! Looks like it's not only my soul taken, but my wife's too.

I say I heavily undervalued that watch. But the reason I started this thread is to ask you, what is your most undervalued watch? What makes you ask why, does it cost THAT much? What watch doesn't have obvoius "expensiveness"? What watch do you have makes people think that a Invicta must cost more than what's on your wrist?

Oh, and to pre-empt any responses, I'm not referring to the actual amount you paid for the watch; but the "value" of it.

To start off, I have to say that this is my most understated watch:

understated.jpg

Edited by anton

Welcome to the 'real' world of haute horology, where the price has no logical relation to what the eye sees & where Patek Philippe reigns supreme.

Which of my reps is the most undervalued? Easy. My Patek Philippe 5107

jackpurcells0101.jpg

Easily the stealthiest watch I have ever owned & the one most often mistaken for a cheap Timex or Seiko. At least, at first glance.

Just this past Christmas, I was shopping in an upscale store with a woman I did not know very well & she asked for the time. I rolled up my sleeve so we could see the time & just as she began to thank me, she stopped in mid-sentence & did a double-take back at my watch. Then she grabbed my arm, turning it to bring the dial into better focus. She looked at me, then back at the watch, then back at me & then just looked a bit stunned, at a loss for words. We all know that look -- priceless.

What another awesome, trademarked Anton question! You were missed around here.

Reps, I have a few:

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph - Real Life Cost: $20,000

aprochronobestiz6.jpg

- Only people who know, know this watch costs as much as it does. It doesn't get a second glance on dad's wrist, usually, except in Palm Beach.

Vacheron Constantin Toledo 1952 (RG) - Real Life Cost: $27,300

vacheronconstantinfullokt3.jpg

- Just the other day, when I came up in the lift after taking the Wristcheck for it, my neighbour asked how much it cost. She was staggered to find out.

Cartier La Do

We all know that look -- priceless.

I know that look. I live for the look. I dream of that look!

Curious gender-differences I notice:

Guys ask me more often the time, when I am wearing short sleeves, or when my watch is exposed due to rolled up sleeves. Since it's very hot down here, this is about 2-5 times a week on average.

But when my father is wearing short sleeves (infrequently, he's a formal guy), no one asks him for the time. Only when his watch is covered, do people ask him the time, such as what happened with you.

We were only just discussing this the other day. Weird, eh?

Interesting question.

The opposite of something like this would be a Sinn or a SFSO or SMP.

The panerai's, with their mostly basic movements, are a prime candidate for 'overvalued'.

The Pateks, VC, etc.. are prime candidates because of the gawdy prices they fetch.

If we're talking about a popular model, then it's very hard to me to understand the prices of the vintage rolex pieces.

I was joking with a couple of members that rolex endlinks are worth more on a per-weight basis than solid 24k gold. For little pieces of thin flimsy metal.

If we're talking about a popular model, then it's very hard to me to understand the prices of the vintage rolex pieces.

I was joking with a couple of members that rolex endlinks are worth more on a per-weight basis than solid 24k gold. For little pieces of thin flimsy metal.

Simple. A relatively small & finite supply vs a large (and ever-growing) demand.

I just paid about $250 for a pair of NOS 580s

580.jpg

20 years ago, I would have thought I was insane to pay that much (even when adjusted for 1988 dollars). But experience has taught me that, when it comes to vintage Rolex, if you pass on a part like this due to its 'outrageous' price today, you will almost certainly kick yourself a year or 2 down the road when you end up having to pay 2 or 3 times as much for the same part (if you can find it).

I think that because of the sharp rise in values for vintage Subs & Seadwellers over the past 5 years (many of which are now out of reach of all but the most affluent buyers), vintage Datejust models are becoming the next target for collectors & investors. So I would expect to see a doubling of pricing for 160x & 1601x models over the next few years, especially if the rumored 12% '08 Rolex price increase becomes a reality.

Today I was at an AD and I saw the PP Nautilus Jumbo. As much as I ogled over the watch, I had an MSRP in my head in case I wanted to buy and pay with my soul. I guess it could not be more than $10-11K; but could you believe that for a SS model that only has time display has an MSRP of $28K?!?!?!

Strange. The (standard one complication [date]) Nautilus Jumbo (pictured below) is a reference "5711/1A" It is the only jumbo model, with the other being a black face version of the same thing. This is also the watch which exists in both MBK and standard Chinese replica incarnation...

5711_1A_001.jpg

According to the latest price guide, this watch has an MSRP of $19,900. That's more than $8,000 less than the price your authorized dealer wanted!

patek08priceop8.jpg

So - I have a strange suspicion you actually tried on a Nautilus 5711G - basically the same thing, except in beautiful white gold.

Regardless, $20K for a hunk of stainless steel worth no more than $1000 to manufacture is a little outrageous. But remember, you're not paying for the item, you're paying for the words resting atop the item. And that is what it all comes down to, and why most of us are here in the first place...

Most undervalued- and best timekeeper.

Very cheap $50 Calatrava from China. Arrived completely non-working.

E-mailed seller, said send it back. I did by airmail. Not EMS and not registered. Cost $3.78. Got it back EMS three weeks later and it wound and ran well gaining 1.5 to 2 minutes a day. Can it do better? Number two son age 22 has been known to take apart and "regulate" his watches.

Talked me into trying. Took off the back and, after two days of "regulating" using only instructions found on this board, this sleeper is ten seconds fast after eight days. Pretty good for a Chinese 21 jewel movement and also pretty good for a new Rolex. I'm impressed.

post-180-1202871604_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the poor photo- the watch actually looks much better.

Carl

Strange. The (standard one complication [date]) Nautilus Jumbo (pictured below) is a reference "5711/1A" It is the only jumbo model, with the other being a black face version of the same thing. This is also the watch which exists in both MBK and standard Chinese replica incarnation...

So - I have a strange suspicion you actually tried on a Nautilus 5711G - basically the same thing, except in beautiful white gold.

Regardless, $20K for a hunk of stainless steel worth no more than $1000 to manufacture is a little outrageous. But remember, you're not paying for the item, you're paying for the words resting atop the item. And that is what it all comes down to, and why most of us are here in the first place...

I saw one rep that looked strangely accurate (especially the datefont!); but back to the issue at hand, I was not at an AD per se (I think you know the Diamond District in NYC); they said the demand was SO HIGH (which is ironic being that it's still in thr shop window) that that was the "BEST PRICE" I was going to get.

My Calatrava's more expensive than your Calatrava :D

patek5196xd9.th.jpg

Given the Patek price list (thanks) list I reckon this 5196 of mine is coming in at 28k, cost me $80 i think.

Have to say the Ladies love it, and also my Boss remarked on it being a nice watch with raised eye brows, Damn no pay rise for me.

My Calatrava's more expensive than your Calatrava :D

patek5196xd9.th.jpg

Given the Patek price list (thanks) list I reckon this 5196 of mine is coming in at 28k, cost me $80 i think.

Have to say the Ladies love it, and also my Boss remarked on it being a nice watch with raised eye brows, Damn no pay rise for me.

He probably think's you're being overpaid, being that you're wearing a $28K(valued) watch and he probably doesn't.