When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So, what bugs you the MOST about rep PAMs?

anton

As much as I love and adore and care for my rep PAMs, flaws bug me. They're like an eyesore on what otherwise be a truly magnificent piece.

No, I don't care about spelling or crown thickness or the "floppiness" of the CG lever, or even an inaccurate "open 6"!

It's the lug threads. They STRIP! And all too quickly. After a few strap changes, they can just be slid in and I have to make sure I don't leave my watch on sideways too long or the lugs just happen to fall off!

I don't want to loctite the thing. Then that defeats the whole purpose. And I tried buying new lug screws. They either just slip right in without screwing it in (same problem as above), or they won't fit properly!

I really hope they can rep the new strap changing system a la IWC (or J-series PAMs). Then I will stop being an angry young man (a la Billy Joel, without the drunken SUV stuff)

So, what bugs you about the PAMs?

As much as I love and adore and care for my rep PAMs, flaws bug me. They're like an eyesore on what otherwise be a truly magnificent piece.

No, I don't care about spelling or crown thickness or the "floppiness" of the CG lever, or even an inaccurate "open 6"!

It's the lug threads. They STRIP! And all too quickly. After a few strap changes, they can just be slid in and I have to make sure I don't leave my watch on sideways too long or the lugs just happen to fall off!

I don't want to loctite the thing. Then that defeats the whole purpose. And I tried buying new lug screws. They either just slip right in without screwing it in (same problem as above), or they won't fit properly!

I really hope they can rep the new strap changing system a la IWC (or J-series PAMs). Then I will stop being an angry young man (a la Billy Joel, without the drunken SUV stuff)

As suggested above, some of River's springbars will solve this problem :)

As for what bugs me...

I'm not too worried about flaws or accuracy, but, something which does annoy me, is when photographing a sandwich dial, it can sometimes look like a sausage dial. Silly thing, I know, and, afterall, I know it's a sandwich dial, it just irritates me when they don't photograph thusly :)

1- Skinny crown

2- Floppy Lever in CG

3- Lume which glows bright for 2 seconds

4- "L Swiss Made L" or similar too close to the 6 (or in DSN's case, off-centre)

5- Bad dials (this would be #1, but I'm still too newbie to tell)

And yes, those blasted threaded lugs! It's always the uppermost one for me. <_<

Just the things that can't be easily modded away...

Dials - Text / Subdials / 2 / Alignment / Finish / Size / Materials.

CG's - Nothing comes close to a Pre-v or H+ CG and there's not enough Jimmy's in the World to meet demand.

Caebacks - the duplidated serials just bug me and the acid etching on some of DSN's is awful

Oh and not forgetting deployment buckles with the lifspan of a fruit fly.

FGD

:fish:

Well how about this?

Just when you though you had a perfect rep. And then you see....

And then it just bugs you so much you have to get rid of it?

It just makes it more unique Anton...it will help you recognize your Pam amongst plethora of other gens ;-)

No, if I were you I wouldn't get rid of it just because of that, it maybe one of those intentional flaws rep makers do when they believe they created a 1:1 piece...yeah right! :)

Well how about this?

Just when you though you had a perfect rep. And then you see....

error.jpg

And then it just bugs you so much you have to get rid of it?

With the greatest of respect, if a single detail like that (which is not even visible on the dial) bothers you, you might need to start buying gens to get 100% perfection... I mean, how often do you, (or anyone else, for that matter) actually scrutinize the back of your watch? ;) Misspellings are one thing, but c'mon, that's just being picky :lol:

[Edit to add]

If you feel you absolutely must get rid of it, (A new caseback would solve your dilemma ;) ) if you could show me a pic of the front, I might be interested. I've been thinking about getting an Arktos for my collection for a while...

Edited by TeeJay

Too white fonts on the historic series!!!

I can see them from across in the room in NYC once or twice a month.

I have a few reps that are all terrific but I have a gen panerai.

They need to trash them all and have the guys who make the HBB make a whole new line or something.

With the greatest of respect, if a single detail like that (which is not even visible on the dial) bothers you, you might need to start buying gens to get 100% perfection... I mean, how often do you, (or anyone else, for that matter) actually scrutinize the back of your watch? ;) Misspellings are one thing, but c'mon, that's just being picky :lol:

[Edit to add]

If you feel you absolutely must get rid of it, (A new caseback would solve your dilemma ;) ) if you could show me a pic of the front, I might be interested. I've been thinking about getting an Arktos for my collection for a while...

I am thoroughly anal, I'll admit that. But the irony is that after all the gens I own (or have owned), no one gets more wrist time than my reps.

I am thoroughly anal, I'll admit that. But the irony is that after all the gens I own (or have owned), no one gets more wrist time than my reps.

I guess at the end of the day, a nice watch is a nice watch, regardless of it being rep or gen, and in all honesty, it's not like reps are cheap chromed metal, they're just as well made as many high street 'fashion watches' :)

Is the PAM with that flaw you highlighted the '1000 Arktos' (not sure of the model number) ? If it is, and, if you did want to get rid of it, what kind of price would you be looking for?

Three musts for a good REP for me are: Good LUME, Waterproof, and movement accuracy. My 112 has those three. Besides that, it's the thin crown. Nothing else bothers me, except maybe not being able to go to a PAM GTG, but then looking at the people at those gatherings, I don't know if I'd want to go.

My DSN112, on its own just as a watch, I have to say it's a really nice simple, beautiful design that my son and I love to look at. I don't know if I could put that much money down on a GEN for a Unitas 6497 movement.

Let me tell you, I now have DSN's 112, 113, 127, and 232. Timewise, they don't miss a beat. ALWAYS on time.

TBH, that should be enough with most people, but it's not with rep watch owners. Shame, eh? -_-

More irony for the soul:

We are overconcerned about our movements being accurate within the single-digit SECONDS, but we always happen to be MINUTES late to engagements?

I've got to vote for stripped lugs and thin crown. If the just would have made the crown a little bit thicker......oh well.

Exactly what I was going to say. My first Pam is still my favorite -- an early gen 192. But the threads are shot, and on top of that I put a couple of really annoying scratches in the lugs dealing with the screws.

Thanks to River's spring bars, though, I wear it often. It remains one of my favorites

Thanks to River's spring bars, though, I wear it often. It remains one of my favorites

Wrong thread to ask, but that other one is poisonous...not returning:

Anyone know if River will continue selling his springbars, now that he intimates he's "retiring" from dealing in rep watches?

@Robi: Thanks so much! :wub: ...but I am receiving a package from DSN next week. I'll just ask him to send some more. Thanks though. :)

My major gripe is the inaccurate dials;

The droopy As on almost all models,

The awful logo on the 005,

Good logo on the 000 but wrong R as well as wrong A,

Poor lume,

No T dial 001 or 002.

Other issues are resolvable but shouldn't arise in the first instance;

Poor crown detail / thickness,

Poor crownguard engineering.