When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does the gen 3717 come with a real gator strap?

jj69

Probably a dumb question, but is the gen IWC 3717 strap made from real gator hide, or is it cow/buffalo leather with a gator print?

I ask because I'm considering moving to a strap for my 3717. As much as I love the bracelet, unfortunately, I'm between sizes. It's either too tight (which drives me out of my mind) or too loose (which makes it flop around on my wrist).

I want a very authentic/gen looking strap, so there are really only two realistic options:

[1] The Watch Boys 21/18mm real gator strap (beautful, but expensive at $120)

[2] The BOB/Waccex 21/18mm gator-print leather strap (very nice and a bargain at $35)

Both are cut exactly like the gen IWC strap. If the gen 3717 uses leather with a gator print, then all my problmes are solved.

Anyone know for sure?

The 3717 i saw at the AD in Brussels on saterday did not have the nicest strap to be honest, it felt very stiff and dare i say papery, it felt no where near as nice as a bob calf or the rep SOSP strap, i do have a bob crock here but in 26 for a pam and that feels softer than the gen! I am sure you would be happy with a bob crock print. BTW below is a quick shot of the window, with a Big pilot in it, it nearly had a brick in it i can tell you!

post-1258-1203536162_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like the gen strap, if it's real croc, then it's crappy quality croc!

I do have a BOB strap on my Porto rep, but it's the wrong size for the 3717 (20mm vs. 21mm). I'm happy with the BOB strap, but to be honest, it doesn't feel any softer than the standard rep strap that comes on all the IWC reps (Portos, Mark XV, 3706, etc.)

On the other hand, The Watch Boys buffalo leather strap I got for my Mark XV is gorgeous. Amazingly soft and very well made. Too bad I can't say the same for the Mark XV rep. :)

Anyone else know for sure if the gen 3717 strap is real croc or just print???

gen 3717 has gen alligator strap... and it is way better as watchboys strap.

you can buy many gen alligator straps on ebay for good price... but it is difficult to find one in the right size of 21mm. I have install a 22mm strap and it looks not good... i thought 22 and 21mm straps are the same on my watch... but isn

Best gator strap I have seen is Camille Fournet. I have one on one of my DW Daytonas. Pricey as hell. TWB strap is quite good, but doesn't get the comfy looking extra wrinkles that the Camille Fournet strap develops over time, as the hide used is a bit thicker on the WB strap. That being said, the WB strap is quite well made and worth the price. Kurt is also a stand-up guy (I have met him and done business face to face) with a gorgeous collection of watches. The ones pictured on his website are from his own collection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I can also confirm (as with Toadtorrent) that the gen has a real croc not gator strap. They're nice but not brilliant. I narrowed my replacement search down to The Watch Boys on fleabay, the Genesis II at Walt's LonestarWatches site LonestarWatches and Sirtoli's dark honey gator Sirtoli. I now need to check into Krusty's Camille Fournet... :D

Stoled from iwc website, just 3 config for 3717:

Reference IW371701 from IWC The Pilots Watch Chrono-Automatic in stainless steel with black crocodile leather strap

3717_001_l261.jpg

Reference IW371704 from IWC The Pilots Watch Chrono-Automatic in stainless steel with stainless steel bracelet

3717_004_l335.jpg

Reference IW371713 from IWC The Pilots Watch Chrono-Automatic in 18 ct. rose gold with dark brown crocodile leather strap

3717_013_l254.jpg

Edited by geyper man

whats the difference croc and gator? In matter of quality and price

Both about the same price...different animal...that's all.

The important difference to me is whether or not the skin used has the small or large scale pattern. I'm not a big fan of the small "squares" (I can't remember offhand what the proper term for this is). The small squares look too much to me like regular lizard skin.

To be honest, my Di-Modell Imperator strap is nicer as "moo croc" than the OEM IWC gen croc AND it's waterproof!!

...To be honest, my Di-Modell Imperator strap is nicer as "moo croc" than the OEM IWC gen croc AND it's waterproof!!

... but be careful, the 3717 is NOT water resistant at all. Pusher are not sealed. This watch don't like water, keep away from it. B)

... but be careful, the 3717 is NOT water resistant at all. Pusher are not sealed. This watch don't like water, keep away from it. B)

I've read the older version without factory AR are not, but the new series with the double AR is...hmmm...when it arrives, we're about to find out. The vendors are saying the new ones can be "waterproofed" which to me means they CAN be waterproofed, but CN quality control means it will be hit and miss without work from a watchmaker.

I ordered a 3717-02 (Spitfire Chrono) which uses the same case. The new Doppel (PVD) supposedly uses the same 3717 case in PVD, is supposed to be waterproofed as well.

I'll post results of the pressure test if the watch ever arrives.