When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Confused about MBW 16610

perry563

I have been reading on this forum concerning rep watches for quite a while and own nearly 20 of them..mostly Rolex reps. However now that I am starting to mod some of these watches I am a lil confused. MBW are supposed to be able to take actual Rolex parts. However I am hearing conflicting info concerning inserts. I have four MBW as follows:

16610 (z series version for 2008)

16610 (bought a year ago)

I also have a TW best 16610 sub.

I just bought three watchmaterial inserts for my three 16610 subs listed above. I was under the impression that the WM inserts would just snap in since they are made to fit gen Rolex subs and the subs I have are supposed to take real rolex parts. Just recently I read some posts that say just the opposite and that I will need to mod the insert alot to make it fit. Can someone who knows tell me what is in reality true??????? Will I need to mod all three inserts to fit my three subs?

Only the 1680 and 1665 will accept gen inserts (and aftermarket ones for that matter- part #315-5513-01)

You will have to mod the WM inserts to fit the modern (16610) MBW and TW bezels- basically by filing the back of the insert so it will sit inside the bezel itself and not protrude- Bruce79 did an excellent tutorial of this which really should be posted as a sticky at the top of this section.

The WM insert fits into a SSD without any modding at all. I am hoping that at the very least my new z series will be the same.

I guess I will need to buy two wholesaleoutlet inserts, exchange the pearls etc for this all to work. I want to avoid all the modding I will need to do with the WM inserts.

The WM insert fits into a SSD without any modding at all. I am hoping that at the very least my new z series will be the same.

I guess I will need to buy two wholesaleoutlet inserts, exchange the pearls etc for this all to work. I want to avoid all the modding I will need to do with the WM inserts.

First of all only Vintage MBW's willtake gen Inserts without Mods...

Maybe the new Z series Sub wil accept the Insert,but I don't know because i know the watch only from the Pics...

You can manage to fit a gern Insert on a MBW or TW Sub by grinding down the Bezel with a lathe...

I have done it on mine and now a Gen insert will snap in like the real Deal..

Look here

imgp3393hs4.jpg

imgp3392la6.jpg

imgp3388jw1.jpg

imgp3391ok2.jpg

But this is an old MBW with different case,you can see on the cylindrical Rehaut and Lugholes...

By the way can you post some pics of the Z-Series MBW containing Crystal construction and Bezeconstruction?

Hope this helps

:p

I pulled off the insert that was on my new z series sub. It is paper thin...I am talking THIN. whats amazing is that even though it was that thin it still was a floater! It was the worst floating insert sub rep that I had. How much thinner would I need to grind down the WM insert??? This seems like an impossible task.

By the way can you post some pics of the Z-Series MBW containing Crystal construction and Bezeconstruction?

Hope this helps

:p

I am back from holiday and would be happy to post pics of bezel construction of the new MBW sub... I just need someone to tell me how to take the bezel off without damaging anything... also best way to remove insert from bezel... thanks!

I pulled off the insert that was on my new z series sub. It is paper thin...I am talking THIN. whats amazing is that even though it was that thin it still was a floater! It was the worst floating insert sub rep that I had. How much thinner would I need to grind down the WM insert??? This seems like an impossible task.

:o:o:o

Dont' the Gen Inset go in Z- MBW???

:o:o:o

I changend it without problem ,

no sanding paper , no glue , no mods only pressed in place (Like in GEN) on my real 1:1 Z- WM9

Perry,

you can test to replace the bezel too. :rolleyes:

I do it, you without problems too.

Of course its not amazing that the watch does not accept a gen insert. What I find amazing that the insert is that thin and STILL it wont fit under the bezel lip. This insert was glued in as typical without any effort to snap it in ..in any way. A complete floater. I have had other inserts pop off and they were all thin but sturdy enough to handle. This insert was so paper thin that just with normal handling it bent in two! Now thats thin!

image117ph5.jpg

image118em2.jpg

image119kk6.jpg

image120vh9.jpg

image131tx7.jpg

image134ho3.jpg

Hope these pictures help... when i tried taking off the bezel insert, as perry mentioned it is stuck in with glue so i did not want to mess around with trying to stick it back in. Instead, i pushed the insert back in and it seems to be able to press it deeper. Might be the glue causing it to float? Also, the close up shows the bezel to be wokky but this is just from distortion and not what it actually looks like.

Looks like my watch except the insert pearl is different. Appears larger on yours. What I see under the insert is the space where the insert edge clips under the bezel lip is very narrow. You would think that since now the bezel mechanism is like a gen that the watch would accept a gen insert (or a after market insert made the same size as a gen). Not even close.

• 4 weeks later...

If I take the bezel OFF my MBW z series the WM insert snaps in fully recessed and TIGHT. HOWEVER....once you put the bezel with insert back ON the case the insert is forced out from the bezel and is now floating. SO the conclusion is that the bezel will take a WM insert with no problem BUT the watch case does not accept it. You need to grind down the back of the insert a lot to keep it recessed while ON the watch case.

• 5 months later...

The two Euromariners I had on my desk until now had the same problem: The gen inserts do NOT fit in. It is exactly like perry described it: The bezel ring does take a gen insert, but not the case itself.

I had to grind a lot off the cases and a little off the inserts to install the gen inserts on the Euromariners.

Actually I was so confused with this that I ordered a WM9 Z-Serial Submariner just to see if it REALLY takes gen parts without modding.

On my WM9, I had difficulty with fitting the gen insert; It just wouldn't snap into the bezel ring, and glue wasn't an option I'd consider. Therefore, I replaced the entire bezel assembly- From the retaining ring to the insert. I'm pleased to say that the gen parts fit with zero hassle, but it did require more parts than I thought it would to get this done.

All said and done, the results have exceeded my expectations for this watch...

YMMV.