When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does this SMP look fake to you?

NuTymer

I posed this question over in RG, but I thought I'd ask the experts here as well:

I spotted this alleged genuine Omega SMP 2531.80, item # 200201669928.

Has Omega ever made SMP with YELLOW lume?

Note that this caseback is also missing the Omega "globe" logo engraving below the Seamonster.

A fake, right?

Nope doesn't look wierd, just looks like normal patina which happens with age, it's an old bond smp so looks good i'd say go for it, the seller looks very legit, look at his feedback..but it maybe a redial? lets wait for the omega experts -_-

I've been watching this seller for over a year. I would be very surprised if 'jmryshi' started selling reps. His whole business hinges on the quality of the expensive watches he is constantly selling. I guess even sellers can get it wrong, but I very much doubt it would be intentional. That guy is one of the most trusted ebayers in watches.

Edit: The globe logo is a quite a new security addition.

Edited by Greystash

I would say Gen. The globe logo didn't start appearing until (at the very earliest) after my 2001-2002 Omega SMP (wearing it right now) as an attempt to frustrate counter fitters. Most reviews I've seen with the globe are from around 2004 at the earliest so if it's an SMP from between 1994 and 2003, I'd say it's legit

I would say Gen. The globe logo didn't start appearing until (at the very earliest) after my 2001-2002 Omega SMP (wearing it right now) as an attempt to frustrate counter fitters. Most reviews I've seen with the globe are from around 2004 at the earliest so if it's an SMP from between 1994 and 2003, I'd say it's legit

If you look at some of the first Planet Ocean reviews even the gen pics don't have the globe on the case back. All the new pics however have the globe, so it is definitely a new addition.

It's gen. It might just be the pics that make the lume look yellow, notice the pic below of mine, the one and two hour markers look very yellow, but in reality they are more of a light green (c1/c3) colour)

18022008686.jpg

The globe comes on the SMP in the last 3 years as far as I know, again see my case back, the on on ebay is definitely a genuine;

18022008679.jpg