When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

is Panerai overpriced?

t

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Victoria!

As you can see, I'm not banned. Fooled you for a second, didn't I? Are you mad?

No silly! I hope the reply made people laugh. ;)

Anyway, you're the second person to fool me on this board. The other was Mr. Tom Hawkes' .sig, which I even reported as a bug to the Mods.

Oh that Vicky. So German and literal.

I agree with V. The answer is yes. Many goods are "overpriced" but that is the nature of making a profit. People are willing to pay the price. As much as many of us would probably like reasonably priced watches with basic movements and features, saving the extravagant pricing for the special, limited edition watches with worked over in house movements, etc., the company isn't going to do that if it waters down the air of exclusivity that their brand currently provides.

I agree, a service-free watch is certainly a technological quantum leap forward, but seriously, look at the watch itself.

Inadequate dial markers, with most likely non-existant lume, so only usefull during the day, and, an aesthetic which only lends itself to a sporting event (but lacking the chrono functions to actually be usefull) It's certainly not a watch which someone could wear with a suit (and expect to look smart). It's without question a nice watch, but, in terms of aesthetics, functionality and versatility, it comes up short, so R&D costs not withstanding, (obviously, a company will want to recoup costs) I wouldn't say that that watch was worth the price tag. In terms of costs of materials, maybe, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, but, other than that, no way.

JLC is pioners in watchmaking, so this price tag is not that "wild".

Panerai is a metal box whit a mass produced movment that goes for like 4000$, real cost is like 900$ maximum.

Cheers

JLC is pioners in watchmaking, so this price tag is not that "wild".

Panerai is a metal box whit a mass produced movment that goes for like 4000$, real cost is like 900$ maximum.

Cheers

That's quite true, and I agree, the JLC is definitely revolutionary, so yes, some level of price is a requirement. However. The reason why I feel that watch to be overpriced, is as I said above: It is not a 'smart' watch. It is not in any way versatile, and it's dial markings are hardly the best. For example. No 5,6,7 markers, and for what? A faux torbillon which doesn't even move... They could've at least made the sacrifice of the numbers worthwhile and included a rotating torbillon for that price :lol:

That's quite true, and I agree, the JLC is definitely revolutionary, so yes, some level of price is a requirement. However. The reason why I feel that watch to be overpriced, is as I said above: It is not a 'smart' watch. It is not in any way versatile, and it's dial markings are hardly the best. For example. No 5,6,7 markers, and for what? A faux torbillon which doesn't even move... They could've at least made the sacrifice of the numbers worthwhile and included a rotating torbillon for that price :lol:

Of course, it's not very much eye-pleasing, but as JLC is highly regarded as the "watchmaker's watchmaker", that watch is a compilation on years of research and what the usage of other materials can bring. Of course, the price of entry will pay for the ability in the near future for JLC being able to incorporate it into their mass-produced watches.

Of course, it's not very much eye-pleasing, but as JLC is highly regarded as the "watchmaker's watchmaker", that watch is a compilation on years of research and what the usage of other materials can bring. Of course, the price of entry will pay for the ability in the near future for JLC being able to incorporate it into their mass-produced watches.

Indeed. I just don't feel that such an inflexible watch (of highly questionable design origin (blatant HBB wannabe)) warrants such a pricetag just because it is a technological marvel. I agree, the proprietary technology is worth something, but not tht much... :)

Well how do you think the 6497s get in the case. Duh! :lol:

BTW, Jaegers are to be judged based on complications available in stainless steel for $3500 via Malaysia making them one of the less overpriced brands about. $200,000 is an outlier purely for publicity.

Panerai are (to date) like Rolex--less about the movement, more about the models and design details. As the JLC movements continue to trickle "down" that will change.

Cheers.

Panerai's have the best resale value and Jaeger's have the absolute worst resale results (excepting GP and a couple of other dying brands). The moral of the story is the brand and design receives much more consideration than the WISical elements of the watch for 99% of watch buyers. And that is what Luxury Branded product is all about. Ergo- this question will always be answered yes for almost all branded product once you eliminate the cachee of the brand. :lol:

Panerai produces roughly over 50,000 units per year. 5000 units would only cover maybe 3 models in their product line! They couldn't be that much more exclusive than Lange (who produces around less than 8,000 units per year)

@ DemonSlayer: The watches I've seen that cost as much as Ferraris are the result of lots of research and they usually incorporate materials and functions too expensive to provide in an affordable wristwatch.

22365.jpg

Price: $220,000. Reason: it's the first watch of it's kind to operate lubricant-free, thus eliminating the need for services. It utilizes types of experimental and manufactured materials to keep it lightweight.

There's more, but you can read it here:

JLC Extreme LAB Watch

If that watch doesn't make $200K spent on it worth its' money, I don't know what does.

Nice watch, but how much does servicing really cost? A couple of hundred quid every 5 years at most? So perhaps

• 4 months later...

As in many goods, the price that is set is the highest that "the market will bear".

In the context of genuine Panerai's, or any luxury good for that matter, nothing is overpriced. High prices (or pricing patterns) are purposefully set so that these items can not be had by just anyone. In the context of replica watches, we are in this forum because we can't afford or don't want to pay the price of a gen, for whatever reason.

I love my replica Panerai's, but I'm just as happy with my Seiko Monster. Would I buy a Gen? Maybe if I was making enough money that the thought of the price would make me cringe.

Well a GS is gong to be less than a gen in the others. Definitely than the Rollie. I was referring to if I needed reliability. Reps aren't reliable. even if it wre gen to gen and the cost were no issue I still would not take the Rollie. Then again I have owned a gen Rolex and I am so over them. Kind of like you with the B&R.