When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

On the myth of incorrect "A" in "PANERAI"

sssurfer

From the comments, I get the gist that the rep crossbars are lower than gen. But, I read the comment that the 127 is an exception. Does the gen 127 have low crossbars on the 'A's? :huh:

This is Davidsen's 127, and just peeping to the side, is his 112 again.

fiddyarrivalqv7.jpg

I dunno...A`s look good to me. :mellow:

EDIT: Two more. Davidsen 232.

dsn232fullonflashnn1.jpg

Davidsen 113.

dsn113dialstraightoner0.jpg

...just for the sake of thread reference.

Davidsen "A"s are better than those of many other reps.

And you may expect an even further improvement on his next auto models.

-- I hope --

This is Davidsen's 127, and just peeping to the side, is his 112 again.

fiddyarrivalqv7.jpg

I dunno...A`s look good to me. :mellow:

This was the comment I was refering too...

Definitely low crossbars on letter A on most historic Panerai reps, including mech Radiomirs.

Fiddy (1950) is an exception.

Most of the contemporary autos come with correct letter A these days. Subs, GMTs and PRs from the past (24, 27, 28, 29, 63 etc) all come with low crossbar.

Latest subs are OK in this respect.

It drives some people nuts, others gave up and just learned to live with these imperfections.

cheers,

babola

What is the gen 127 an exception to? An exception with low crossbars? This was my confusion :huh::mellow:

Vic, your DSN 112 has good "A"s, even if the overall font is a bit thin.

Corgi, I don't need to chill. I never claimed it was the end of the world or that I wouldn't wear the watch. Quite the opposite, actually. If you read my other posts, I clearly state that I ordered the watch KNOWING about the low "A"s. I'm wearing it today, actually.

However, as I also said in my other posts, just because it's a flaw I'm willing to live with doesn't mean it isn't a flaw worth discussing. It also doesn't mean that it isn't an easy way to spot a rep.

"Dude... Chill." -- Sage advice, perhaps you'd be well served to heed it yourself?

I guess if my Pam actually glowed at night.. and the crown and lever was remotely close to the thickness of the gen.. well, then..

I would probably move onto b!tching about the A's. :lol: It's what we do.

Each of us have our own tolerance levels in regards to rep vs gen scrutiny. These comparisons are a huge portion of what we talk about on this board day to day. I don't think anyone should be singled out as playing "Robinson" any more than the next guy. Unless you're dipping your rep dials in black paint to cover up the brand markings, every single one of us are guilty of it to some degree.

Great thread. I love collecting these reps. My wife thinks I am nuts "who ever heard of a person who liked to collect fake items?" she says. Of course she just does not get it. It is the fun of beating the system, improving something which is flawed, tinkering, enjoying the design....

I have only one Panerai. A 063 GMT with a low cross bar A. It is the most beautiful PAM in my opinion. I have modded it to the max with everything that the forum has to offer. Gen movement, Cyclops, datewheel, lume, etc. BUT - the one thing I can not fix - those cursed low cross bar A's.

Curse you rep manufacturers!!!!! ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Too funny.

Am I trying to fool someone else? Nope. Trying to fool myself.

Cheers!

Guest avitt

Man...

I thought I had a great 118 rep...till I read this thread :( I had to take a macro photograph, and blow it up just to see them - But there they are, plain as day! Low A's.

I used to wear this watch all the time...Now I'm so embarrassed...Im going to have to sell it :thumbdown:

You guys suck :angry:

I think we can say:

If you need a loupe to detect low crossbars, either you have a good rep or a bad sight.

If you can detect low crossbars in your rep by naked eye, you may live with it also getting assuration about your good sight. :lol:

I am glad to know about it. Why? It is something I factor in when considering buying a rep. On some reps it is a dead giveaway and I wouldn't buy it. On others it doesn't phase me. On a Base rep where the A's are very low it does bother me enough that I don't own one. On a busy dial automatic like the GMT's, PR's, Daylights, etc. I am fine with it. And A's are not all created equal. ;) And I agree with the earlier comment that if you got a crappy cg, crown, date or whatever it is the least of your problems. But most likely anyone who has noticed the A's is trying to do something about everything else.:lol:

The 127 is an exception because ALL rep 127s had the correct A.

But high or low? This is my confusion. My 127 has low crossbars. Is this correct? (Not that I actually care about 1:1 accuracy, I'm just trying to find out if it's correct or not :lol: )

Guest avitt
Gen gen127.jpgTeeJay teejay127.jpg

They look pretty good to me TeeJay :)

I don't know, TeeJay....I wouldn't get overconfident if I were you. It looks to me like your letters are leaning the wrong way :p