When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whatever happened to pride of workmanship, messy PAM

RWG Technical

This was sent in for upgrades. It has been in the hands of as real watchmaker (as far as I know) and here's what I noted and saw as I took it apart.

This was NOT worked on by ANYONE from RWG, this was done by someone outside of this forum. I just want to share with you what some people are willing to send out to their customers.

The first thing I notice, is that a genuine crown had been installed, but when I try to open the CG lever, I just about rip my nail off my finger - it's that tight. I also notice that the crown has been installed too far from the case. The fix for both of these problems is simple, cut down the outside of the case tube a bit more, which would move the crown closer to the case where it should be, and if you did this, it would also make the CG lever less tight... a win win situation either way.

Look at the crown placement.

6.jpg

Even worse, look at the damage done to the Genuine crown. The lever was so tight it dented the crown.

4.jpg

I noticed that there was quite a bit of dirt on the dial side, and what looked like metal shavings.

Took the caseback off, and there were 2 different case clamps and 2 different screws (they should be the same). Is this too small a detail to worry about? Maybe, but it shows a lack of attention to detail, and isn't professional.

Imagine my surprise when I look at the movement under the loupe, checking for cleanliness and correct oiling, not good so far...

Let me add that a watch bought from a dealer, would not look like this, it would be clean (I am referring to offshore dealers only, Josh, Andrew, TTK, Narikaa etc).

9.jpg

2.jpg

The escape wheel and pallets are the most critical part of the movement, this isn't looking good at all...

1.jpg

So I go ahead and take the movement out of the case, and what do I find? Have a look (keep in mind that the tube was drilled for the genuine crown)

5.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

What ever happened to common sense and pride in workmanship...if you drill something, there are metal fillings produced - clean them off. Leaving a mess like this, as well as the rest of the damage, shows a total lack of professionalizm and not caring about your work.

At least there is a solution to all of this, I am going to service the movement, clean up the case, file the outside of the tube down so the crown seats where it should and opening the lever doesn't cause a torn off nail, and a trip to the ER.

Just a teaser of what's to come, what do you make of the dial???

3.jpg

As you can see, I have to install H3 cannon and hour wheels to get the hands above the dial, and it should look nice when it's finished...

The reson for the post is simply to share with you what some people are willing to send out of their shop. I don't think anyone wants to get a watch back in this condition, I know I don't.

Caveat emptor.

RG

The dial....hmmm

Is that a 113 dial with recessed seconds hand, Gen?

It certainly appears so. AFAIK, there are NO 113/003 rep dials with recessed subsecond dial. My guess is that this is the dial that was for sale on Paneristi a while ago by VanniC. Beano2004 bought a couple of these dials from him a while back...

for all the modifications and variances of my watches,

my watchmaker gets always a handwritten guide with all points and what is to check.

and never he would give me back this kind of work.

but i control everything and had a lot talkings about quality service and about all possiblities.

in watchmaking nothing is standard and sometimes the workings are very difficile,

but i got always a really good result.

i have to say, really.... hats off and compliments for ziggy's and my watchmaker competence.

rolli

Money changed hands for that ...!!!?? :nonono:

A good watchsmith is worth their weight in "gen crowns" , unless of course they are incredibly talented and the size of a slim Hobbit then this formula may colapse under scrutiny :cc_confused:

Either way ...Rob rules for me...

FGD

:fish:

I suppose it is just like dodgy car mechanics or TV repairmen, you get people in every trade who care only about the money they receive and nothing of their quality of work.

Thanks for the heads up Ziggy

Ken

You can hear a watchlover speak The Zigmeister when you describe these mistakes done to a nice watch. Please do me a favor, don't post these macropics of some flaws, they look like scary diseases...:)

Thanks for taking the time to share these 'amateur'efforts to disfigure a wacht.....