When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Front desk guy at Tires Plus

Dude

I had a bit of an awkward exchange today with a front desk guy at Tires Plus today. He was wearing a 16610 sub. I immediately noticed it and studied it a bit while he was putting my order into the computer. It looked just like the one I bought from TTK for $80. Even the crown guards looked the same. I wasn't wearing mine. I told him, "nice watch". He said thanks. Then I couldn't resist, so I said I have the same one, but its not real. He then said to me annoyingly, "Well then it not the same one". I was surprised at the attitude so I said it looks the same and he said "yeah they make the fake ones look pretty real".

I have to go pick up my car in about an hour. I'm going to wear my sub and show it to him if he's there and see the reaction. :bicycle:

I had a bit of an awkward exchange today with a front desk guy at Tires Plus today. He was wearing a 16610 sub. I immediately noticed it and studied it a bit while he was putting my order into the computer. It looked just like the one I bought from TTK for $80. Even the crown guards looked the same. I wasn't wearing mine. I told him, "nice watch". He said thanks. Then I couldn't resist, so I said I have the same one, but its not real. He then said to me annoyingly, "Well then it not the same one". I was surprised at the attitude so I said it looks the same and he said "yeah they make the fake ones look pretty real".

I love America. Where a shop clerk at a tyre place can wear a gen 16610. Try that in Morecambe.

(Ooh I just Pugged your nationality. Sorry if you are Canadian! I mean, Canamerican!)

I have to go pick up my car in about an hour. I'm going to wear my sub and show it to him if he's there and see the reaction. :bicycle:

:lol: :lol:

Dude.

i hardly believe a worker at a tyre club can wear a gen, unless he had busted a 6 months money earning on a watch :]

i know lots of people that are wearing reps, pretend as they have the real thing.

it happens the most with people that are not rep collectors, just some pals who have paid $1000 for perfect sub and pose it as gen to anyone asking

but i dunno, maybe his watch was a gen.. :)

but i dunno, maybe his watch was a gen.. :)

Something about this man's snotty reaction, makes me think it's a gen.

"Well then it not the same one"

That's the remark of a guy in sure footing, probably who saved a lot to get that Sub, and is very very proud of the fact (it gives him a sense of superiority around his co-workers, I'm sure of it).

I know a guy who works at a Firestone who rotates tires there...wears an old 16520. And yes,it's a gen.

I wondered the same thing too, "no way that guy could wear a Gen 16520".

Little did I know that he does it to make extra money on the side. He primarily restores and salvages vintage cars.

Don't Canadians spell it Tyre instead of Tire?

I should really let a Canadian answer this, but that's never stopped me from putting my oar in before. :p

No.

canadian_tire_store.jpg

As a veteran of many a Hockey Night in Canada Saturday night, I can tell you, almost every telly advert is a Canadian Tire one. Sheesh.

They make it seem like Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and Disney World all joined together (the other telly adverts are all Tim Horton's).

@TeeJay: Soooo. Now we know why you REALLY wear reps. :o;)

@Predfan: Incredible -- they sell Omegas at Costco?? I should stop hanging around the Babel Tower-sized paper towels. BTW, I believe it. One of my condo porters wears a gen Sub. He got it at a pawn shop, but I told him where to get it serviced at an AD.

Something about this man's snotty reaction, makes me think it's a gen.

"Well then it not the same one"

That's the remark of a guy in sure footing, probably who saved a lot to get that Sub, and is very very proud of the fact (it gives him a sense of superiority around his co-workers, I'm sure of it).

And compensates for being hung like a hamster ;)

I guess you guys would never believe that the greasy transmission tech where I work wears a gen Omega Seamaster to work every day. He's had it around 8 years or so. I see him wash it off with spray brake cleaner sometimes. Man it is rough but it is a gen. from Kostco. And I should add that I was with him when he bought it.

I guess you guys would never believe that the greasy transmission tech where I work wears a gen Omega Seamaster to work every day. He's had it around 8 years or so. I see him wash it off with spray brake cleaner sometimes. Man it is rough but it is a gen. from Kostco. And I should add that I was with him when he bought it.

Thats unreal :o

Brake cleaner is fun stuff though, Once when my supervisor was ignoring me in the workshop, I sprayed his heals and drew a squiggly line on the ground, moving backwards untill the can was empty (20ft away by now), I then shouted his name, and as he looked on with a puzzled expression,I lit the line of brake cleaner.

Woooosh......... :o

The look on his face was amazing, he never even moved (well, untill his heels were up on fire anyway)

He even saw the funny side of it after a few hours :lol:

Next time he cleans the watch,.......you know what to do ;)

Now why wouldn't a spanner jockey in a tyre shop own a gen sub

I do smile when I see these posts

A sub is NOT expensive people........ in fact a benefit monkey on state handouts in the UK can easily raise that amount of finance (legitimately).

So if its human and sucking in air it can own a gen sub.

They make it seem like Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and Disney World all joined together (the other telly adverts are all Tim Horton's).

You don't have to live in Canada to feel the effects of the Canadians (or Northern Americans). Were I live, they play the Tim Horton's ads all the time.

But you know that Canada has affected your town when the biggest franchises in your area seem to be Canadian. And here, the people sound like they've spent half their life in Waukesha, the other half in Mississagua.

Guest carlsbadrolex

How about when Dominoes Pizza was giving away Rolex watches to the store managers awhile back? Or Porsche giving Porsche Design watches to their managers? The Land Rover dealer here in San Diego gives a Rolex to EVERY employee after only 5 years. You walk into that place and see lot attendants wearing a 16610 and all they do is park and wash cars all day!

Last week while walking through Lajolla in some dirty clothes (just finished yeard work) and wearing my gen (rarely do I do this anymore) 16610... a guy commented to his boyfriend that he bet the watch was fake. I turned around and said, "can I take that bet?" He STFU and scurried off into the nearest coffee shop.

@TeeJay: Soooo. Now we know why you REALLY wear reps. :o;)

Well, you know what they say... When you're used to things being big... ;):lol:

I wear reps because I'm too tight to pay retail costs on gens :p (and don't want to sell a kidney just to get a real 127 :lol: )

I must say that I have to agree with Narikaa on his point that some of the popular gens are not ball breaking to aquire :)

I'm of Indian descent, and there are many people here in London who originally come from the same area in India my grandfather came from. Many people in this community feel the need to show that they are wealthy (even if they're nowhere close to being wealthy), and the ONE watch you will see almost everyone wearing who does this is a RADO. The most popular model with the elder generation is the Rado Original Diastar, the gold one :lol: In my opinion a horrible watch but each to their own taste. I've even seen some young people with the newer Rado models because Rado has become so popular and well known within this community and its pretty much the only watch that is recognised as being expensive :lol: I could walk into a social gathering with a gen Rolex strapped to EACH wrist and most of the elder generation won't even know what it is, perhaps even thinking its some cheap junk :)

My nan, who is on state benefits, hasn't worked for over 20 years and is by no means wealthy, owns a lady Rado Diastar. If you save up a portion of your wage every week, you will soon have enough money to purchase a gen :) However I personally am not prepared to pay for overpriced gens, of which the large majority of the price is in brand name.

Well, you know what they say... When you're used to things being big... ;):lol:

Why do men have such a fixation with size? Seriously. I don't get it. You must think it's important to yourselves, because women don't care!

Me, I love Fiddies. But a 6" Casio is plenty big for any woman. :o:lol:

Why do men have such a fixation with size? Seriously. I don't get it. You must think it's important to yourselves, because women don't care!

Me, I love Fiddies. But a 6" Casio is plenty big for any woman. :o:lol:

I guess it's a male thing... Indeed, some women don't care, but, there are also some real 'Size Queens' out there who make a huge deal about only wanting Monster C0cks, ie 9", 10" and more etc... When guys hear about people like that, it's no wonder they can get complexes about size issues... :lol:

I guess it's a bit like small-busted women who envy women with larger attributes, where the women who are more generously endowed, often complain about back pain and discomfort while running. I guess it's just a case of the grass always looking greener from the other size (and it not actually being so):lol:

Edited by TeeJay

I guess it's a male thing... Indeed, some women don't care, but, there are also some real 'Size Queens' out there who make a huge deal about only wanting Monster C0cks, ie 9", 10" and more etc... When guys hear about people like that, it's no wonder they can get complexes about size issues... :lol:

Why in the Sam Hill are men paying attention to hos?? Of course they need Fiddies. They're the size of Egizianos down there! :animal_rooster:

Okay, enough double-entendres. It's like a Benny Hill rerun.

This is quite interesting...what's with the tire people and watches? :huh:

Years ago, my father told me he was going to get my mother a gift for her birthday...and he brought me with him. We show up to an old tire and hubcap shop in the middle of nowhere. He walks in to the front desk and greets the ownder. The guy goes in the back and comes out with a padded display tray full of watches. Gens, with tags still on them. He chose a ladies daydate, made a payment and we walked out. I never really asked questions...but, I always thought that was strange.

Had to be stolen. :lol:

Hey everyone,

Just to set the record straight I live in Boca Raton, FL. I don't know what the back and forth jabs between Canadians and US is all about. Inside joke I guess.

Anyway, I wore the watch to the shop and showed it to the guy. He must have been in a bad mood earlier because he was pretty friendly this time. I held it next to his briefly and I couldn't see any difference. He seemed indifferent and commented that the weight is probably different. I didn't press the issue. The bill for 2 tires, alignment and headlight on my 2002 CLK320 was $458. So I joked its a good thing I only paid $80 for a rep. He said he bought his about 8 years ago for $3000. I told him now they are close to $5K. I told him my dream watch was a gen TT Blue sub. He said he wants to get an all gold Daytona. Which I think costs around $25K if I'm not mistaken. We then sort of became buds as his first name is the the same as mine, Dean, which is not a common name at all. He proceeded to tell me that he never liked his name growing up and asked his parents to call him by his middle name. I told him I also told my mother I hated my name and to call Steve, Mike, Tony, anything but Dean. Funny how you can connect with someone when you find a common ground.

Anyway, I know I went off subject, but it was still an interesting encounter that never would occurred if it wasn't for my TTK sub that I bought as a result of finding RWG :1a: