When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Attn: BMW Enthusiasts/Owners - Need your Opinion!

hiker01

I am over Manly way, but has been a pretty average summer. But hey, the beach is still the beach over summer B)

Actually, Manly is nice, too! I had a good time there! I think I got a few pictures on my server somewhere! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I wish I'm there right now! Enjoy the beach for me this weekend! Get that surf/boogey board ready!

Geez, there's so many reported problems about the 7-series in this thread, I could have sworn I was reading about a Chevy!

All jokes aside, Chevy does make some reliable autos.

Chevys aside, I also did not know of these problems when we owned one. Guess we turned it in @ the nick of time. But I've never heard of these issues besides the electronic gearbox and the pesky idrive! Are there any other 7-series owners out there?

And don't answer with "most of them traded them in for something that works". :p

Save your money and buy an Audi A8

Isn't that the model they used on the movie "Hitman"? That was awesome!

Good car, but I'm a Bimmer Guy.....although for the right price I'll get the Q7 and take it Off-Roading in Colorado!

I was given a 2002 750iL (right before they switched over to the new design) when I started driving and I must say, while the nav system was problematic, the car was truly a dream to drive. If you don't mind paying for the gas and service, I'd go for it. I'm looking into getting either a new Saab 9-3 Aero or the redesigned BMW 540 series (now the 550 I think) but repairs can get absurdly expensive. Worst case scenario you can always sell it so long as you keep it in good condition.

I was given a 2002 750iL (right before they switched over to the new design) when I started driving and I must say, while the nav system was problematic, the car was truly a dream to drive. If you don't mind paying for the gas and service, I'd go for it. I'm looking into getting either a new Saab 9-3 Aero or the redesigned BMW 540 series (now the 550 I think) but repairs can get absurdly expensive. Worst case scenario you can always sell it so long as you keep it in good condition.

Wow, Man! I envy you! Must be nice to be rich! :thumbsupsmileyanim::good:

I'm halfway to making a decision....just waiting for my brother to let me know what else he finds!

I love BMWs but have had so many problems, especially as they get older. Definitely make sure you have a warranty, my convertible and 540i definitely spent way too much time at the dealer and shop, especially when an electrical problem arose. The truth is the bimmers are so fun to drive and that's what kept drawing me back. My biz partner has an 04 745i and he's having electrical issue with his. Owned an A8 for a couple years that ran like a champ, currently driving a CL500 and loving it...no issues with the benz.

This is a great car and don't take my opinion wrong it will get you around even if you bit sh!t out of it, but its a first year for that car and it tells it all, basically you will constantly run into electrical problems with check light of all kinds, i and my roommate owned all bimmers from 90s era then we were in uni, and the best things trips we had was in those cars but even proven models were not easy to maintain basically because we abused them to the limit. I dont know anybody personally who owns 2002 7er but i base my on opinion of friends who had first year production cars of audi's, vw's (mainly Toureg), and benzes (w220) in beginning of 2001-2002 and you should have seen their frustration with little things even though then cars worked they rolled like pimps)

I really don't know what to recommend as i was looking for one also but bought A8 couse had to move up north where 4wd is a must and the price was better since it was older body with super low km's plus i didn't want to have all the trouble with a car with no trusted mechanic, but to be honest i still question myself if i could have gone with a 7

But since the car is getting even older, i wouldn't recommend it (((

On the good note buy yourself a 2001 740 and a summer pimpmobil like i did check it out green/orange hand made engine 230E a real classic with orange fogs and I only got it because the guy took a trade for my old blown engine 7er ))) but its the one of the best deals i ever got)

DSC_5040x_small.jpg

>>> too many edits, cant spell things today, excuse me )

Edited by turbolium

Went to the Columbus International Auto Show this weekend.

Must say that overall, I was quite unimpressed by the "new" cars for 2008. I did see a few standouts.

1. Jaguar XF ... looked much better in person than the pictures I've seen.

2. Jaguar XK8 ... the coupe is as close to a DB9 as I'll ever get.

3. Audi R8 ... fast standing still.

4. BMW M6 ... didn't like the white color of the demo, but damn!

5. Infiniti G37 coupe ... nice upgrade from the G35.

I thought it would be impossible to make an ugly Lamborghini, but there was a Murciellago the color of which was described as Blu Nova ... imagine North Carolina Blue .... I nearly threw up when they took the car cover off the car. And why didn't BMW bring the 3 series convertible to the show? They had plenty of empty space in their area, and it's not like it's an expensive car.

Overall it's an adequate show. You normally don't get the concept cars, but if you want to shop without being hit up by salesman, it works.

Must say that overall, I was quite unimpressed by the "new" cars for 2008. I did see a few standouts.

agree....

also saw some pics from European auto show taking by my friend and really liked the look of new WRC Subaru

Buy it, get it sprayed up to look like this:

need-for-speed-most-wanted-car-of-the-day-20051115043135956.jpg

And then advertize it on a forum for modified car enthusiasts. I don't think you'd have a problem getting your money back, plus a nice increase ;)

Hey TJ! What's up, mate? That looks nice, but I don't think it will work on a 745li! Maybe a 645ci or an M series! Good idea though!

Went to the Columbus International Auto Show this weekend.

3. Audi R8 ... fast standing still.

4. BMW M6 ... didn't like the white color of the demo, but damn!

5. Infiniti G37 coupe ... nice upgrade from the G35.

I thought it would be impossible to make an ugly Lamborghini, but there was a Murciellago the color of which was described as Blu Nova ... imagine North Carolina Blue .... I nearly threw up when they took the car cover off the car. And why didn't BMW bring the 3 series convertible to the show? They had plenty of empty space in their area, and it's not like it's an expensive car.

Overall it's an adequate show. You normally don't get the concept cars, but if you want to shop without being hit up by salesman, it works.

That M6 rocks............that would be dream drive on a highway!

I have come to the end of the road for this car. My brother finally convinced be to stay away.......so back to my quest for a 645ci!

Thanks everyone for your Inputs/info/suggestions! and they say that this is just a watch forum...............................................................don't think so!

Hey TJ! What's up, mate? That looks nice, but I don't think it will work on a 745li! Maybe a 645ci or an M series! Good idea though!

All's well here, thanks :) I guess it would need the proper model BMW to work properly :lol: Thinking about it, a custom paintjob could prove troublesome if it did come to selling the car, as it would require the prospective buyer to like it too :lol: That's why I figured it best to do it and advertize it on a custom car forum :lol:

@ Hike...

Well, there's a story behind everything you know...but safe to say while I liked the driving experience of the 750 and I loved driving the new 550 when I stopped by the dealer a few weeks ago, most cars (especially luxury) depreciate so quickly that it's not even fair to call them "assets" for more than a few years. While the 9-3 Aero and the 550 were nice, I ended up with an Infiniti due to the fact that it's nice, fast, low maintenance and still a $30 dollar oil change :)

My mom got the 750 from a client that couldn't afford to pay her and so it was my car for a bit.