When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What watch do consultants wear?

paneristi_man

Hi,

I've just joined a consulting company and noticed that most of the consultants wear Tag Heuers and cuff links.

What's your experience if any of you work in the consulting industry? Would a watch with lots of bling factor be frowned upon ?

What would your suggestions be for this line of work?

Thanks

Depends of what kind of consultant you are.

Five years ago, if you wore a Rolex, you either:

are good at what you do, so they think you must be successful

-or-

charge an exorbitant amount of money, so they must think you're good.

What is it today?

Well, most of the consultants that come in to see me happen to be women (no, I'm not Eliot Spitzer!). Franck Muller and Cartier seem to be popular with them.

Of the men that do come in, they wear Rolexes, Roger Dubuis, and the occasional Bucherer.

The type of consultants we hire are jury professionals.

Hi,

I've just joined a consulting company and noticed that most of the consultants wear Tag Heuers and cuff links.

What's your experience if any of you work in the consulting industry? Would a watch with lots of bling factor be frowned upon ?

Thanks

a Tag most of the time is an Entry level 'Swiss Made' good watch for most people, Id say an Omega or even a not too flash Rolex wouldnt look out of place I wouldnt go for a Tag to fit in myself, try and stand out a bit B)

I'm an art consultant. I work for myself, and wear whatever I like whenever I like :lol:

In the past, I've gone to client meetings in Casios, and reps of Rolexes, Omegas and PAMs (not all at once, of course ;) ) To date, I've never had a client comment on the watch I was wearing, or even appear to notice... Infact, the only person to ever spontaneously comment on my watch, was a friend.

If you're working in an office, I'd say consider these points:

1. What does the majority wear?

2. Do you want to blend in with the majority, or stand out?

I remember reading that, in office politics, don't dress like your boss. Dress like your boss's boss, as that shows a more 'longterm' and professional attitude.

Sorry, but are you a soldier or an individual? Why does it matter what other consultants (or doctors or burger-flippers or car salesmen or mayors) wear? The more relevant question, it seems to me, is what type of watch do YOU feel comfortable wearing in your new job? What type of watch fits YOU?

Okay, since the OP wasn't specific about the type of consultant he was, I'll tell you the consultants I encounter and what they wear.

Since the term "consultant" is being used loosely these days, here's what they wear and the "saying" it exhumes:

A management consultant: A gold Rolex ("I'm the best! I've made it!).

An airline consultant: A Breitling with a slide rule ("In case my flight computer fails, I've got this nifty watch that will do it for me!").

A technology consultant: A Suunto ("Not only does it measure my run times, it syncs the results to my computer!").

An advertising consultant: A PAM or Cartier Roadster/Santos ("I know what's trendy, dude. This is what people want!").

A car sales consultant: A rep Rolex Sub ("I don't get paid enough in commission to buy a real one!")

A sex consultant: A JLC Memovox with Alarm ("So I know when our hour is up").

Hi,

Thanks

Casio/Timex.......they want you to believe they are frugal and not over charging you for their services ;)

Okay, since the OP wasn't specific about the type of consultant he was, I'll tell you the consultants I encounter and what they wear.

Since the term "consultant" is being used loosely these days, here's what they wear and the "saying" it exhumes:

A management consultant: A gold Rolex ("I'm the best! I've made it!).

An airline consultant: A Breitling with a slide rule ("In case my flight computer fails, I've got this nifty watch that will do it for me!").

A technology consultant: A Suunto ("Not only does it measure my run times, it syncs the results to my computer!").

An advertising consultant: A PAM or Cartier Roadster/Santos ("I know what's trendy, dude. This is what people want!").

A car sales consultant: A rep Rolex Sub ("I don't get paid enough in commission to buy a real one!")

A sex consultant: A JLC Memovox with Alarm ("So I know when our hour is up").

oops guess i shd have mentioned "technology consultant". what is a suunto? to ans some of the other posters, i guess it's a bit of dilemma of whether to stand out or blend in ?

I'm an art consultant. I work for myself, and wear whatever I like whenever I like :lol:

Sorry for the question: what is an art consultant? I have never heard about it. It sounds really nice!

It depends on what industry. If you are in spain or Germany (I am a spanier living in Germany as expat), I will never wear a rolex. At least in the Engineering consulting.

I work for a supplier here in Stuttgart, so I go every week to Porsche (Weissach), Audi (Ingolstadt) and Daimler (Untert

the president of my firm owns a LV Rolex, Pam 088, Cartier Santos 100, diamond bezel BCE, and IWC Pilot.. (yes they are all gen). all depends on the occasion.

i personally prefer to wear a gen montblanc timewalker with the black strap over my reps when meeting clients. most relate to how they love MB pens..... <_<<_<

btw, i am in finance.

I'm a technology consultant and I wear nothing but PAMs, typically. Although, the last time I was here in the UK, I wore my Ocean7 G-1 GMT so I could easily tell what time it was back home (I also wore my PAM210).

I've yet to meet anyone who recognized any of the watches I wear (although the project manager on the last gig I was at was wearing a Tag Monaco LE chrono).

Wear what you like...

Sorry for the question: what is an art consultant? I have never heard about it. It sounds really nice!

No problem. It's a job as vague and varied as it sounds :lol:

To put it simply, in the main, I 'draw stuff' for people. I've had projects ranging from wedding dress designs, to tattoo stencils and just about everything in between. I can also advise people on other 'artistic projects' like interior design, custom car graphics, etc. Here're a few examples of projects I've done:

cartoon to mock a devout communist:

6f373a44.jpg

rough concept art for a car I would like to build/have built at some point in the future. The Mazda 'Viper':

8be9e891.jpg

stencil/layout of a tattoo sleeve I planned to have done but decided against:

rightarm.jpg

custom requested forum signature bar:

CopyofCopyofsigstrip.jpg

car graphics re-created from existing car via use of 'in-game' manipulator :

existing car:

Nissan%20Skyline%202Fast%202Furious.jpg

my recreation of it (as closely as the manipulator (and from memory) would allow):

17-06-07_1611.jpg

hand-drawn mural at friend's place of work:

(before)

start.jpg

(in progress)

outlinedrag.jpg

(completed)

c0e3d160.jpg

e83c4d01.jpg

ca125ac3.jpg

Sorry if it's a bit 'off topic', but felt this was the easiest way to explain what I do. Hope folks like the pics :)

Edited by TeeJay

No problem. It's a job as vague and varied as it sounds :lol:

To put it simply, in the main, I 'draw stuff' for people. I've had projects ranging from wedding dress designs, to tattoo stencils and just about everything in between. I can also advise people on other 'artistic projects' like interior design, custom car graphics, etc. Here're a few examples of projects I've done:

cartoon to mock a devout communist:

6f373a44.jpg

rough concept art for a car I would like to build/have built at some point in the future. The Mazda 'Viper':

8be9e891.jpg

stencil/layout of a tattoo sleeve I planned to have done but decided against:

rightarm.jpg

custom requested forum signature bar:

CopyofCopyofsigstrip.jpg

car graphics re-created from existing car via use of 'in-game' manipulator :

existing car:

Nissan%20Skyline%202Fast%202Furious.jpg

my recreation of it (as closely as the manipulator (and from memory) would allow):

17-06-07_1611.jpg

hand-drawn mural at friend's place of work:

(before)

start.jpg

(in progress)

outlinedrag.jpg

(completed)

c0e3d160.jpg

e83c4d01.jpg

ca125ac3.jpg

Sorry if it's a bit 'off topic', but felt this was the easiest way to explain what I do. Hope folks like the pics :)

TJ.....I didn't know! Those are amazing work! Hat's off to you! WOW!

oops guess i shd have mentioned "technology consultant".

You just joined right ???

Never being a consultant before, right ???

Listen to me.

IT consultants from JR to Sr Consultant should wear:

- Smart watches

- Less than 1000 USD price of the real equivalent

- No bling or fancy watches

- no quartz watches

IT consultants from Mgr to Principal / Director and Partner level should wear:

- Smart watches

- Not Less than 2500 USD price of the real equivalent

- No bling or fancy watches

- no quartz watches

Antything else will either look fake (very bad if you are a consultant) or too expensive .... and therefore would tightdly linked and related to the seniority and expertise of the person.

If and when I see an IT Consultant (jr to sr level) with a 5000 USD PAM or equivalent I can only think these:

-Daddys rich boy (his/her salary cannot pay that watch)

-Fake watch (bad start)

-These guys they charge extremely high tarrifes and they add no value (due to less seniority). (better look somewhere else for IT advise).

On the above you have to add the environment too.

Is not the same working for Acc or ATK or EDS or ATOS or IBM Services. etc.... each one is diferrent.

the consultants and contract workers that worked for me during my tenure at Banker's Trust and Merrill Lynch Inc in manhattan usually sported the following:

rolex GMT II -pepsi bezel ... i caught one one day admiring his and I joking commented to him that I needed to rexaming his hourly billing rate.

a friend of mine at Ernst and Young- Cap Gemini is a highly sought out media consultant billing at $300/hr and she sports a ladies Omega Consetlation TT simple, refined and understated but has a presence.

Cufflinks:

Dunhill

Tiffany world /globes

Malte Cross

The crest and seals of the Bristish Royal family

Edited by prince458

May I ask you which company did you join (PM), maybe we are collegues from different countries :)

My boss, the partner, wears a SS 2007 datejust, and I received the same model last year as a laurea gift, just a coincidence..

I often see GMT and modern rollies, I wear a submariner (a nice rep :))

In my country Panerai are not very common, I've never seen someone wearing one, only at ADs.. I don't know why..

BTW a not too flashy model is a good choice.

Tata (to name one) is old news... Indonesia seems to be the new hype (next to booming South Africa)... Screw these

IS Lite and blended models. Been in SAP consultancy for over 10 years now, never been out of a job for more then a day... Try explaining your consolidation or strategy management process to an offshore consultant and you'll find out why.

That's why clients outsource SAP to India B)