When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are These Gens or Reps?

dylan

I haven't studied gen vs rep on PO, so I won't comment on that one, but I would say the SMP is gen for the following reasons:

The pearl/insert looks correct. (I suppose it could be a gen bezel on a rep watch.)

The bracelet looks gen because the center brushed links appear slighter higher than to polished links. I've noticed this on gen watches whereas my SMP chrono has the brushed links even with the polished links. (Again, I suppose it could be a gen bracelet on a rep.)

The dial looks gen due to seamaster instead of seanaster. (Again, I suppose it could be a gen dial on a rep.)

The HE valve is in the proper location. (This is the main reason I believe it's gen as no current reps, as far as I know, have the proper HE valve placement).

If I'm wrong, I want your rep!!

EDIT - You know what though, the end links don't look right compared to others I've seen. The ones I've seen have the same brushed vs polished relationship as I mentioned on the bracelet. Maybe it's angle or maybe not all were as I thought. I would still guess it as gen.

Edited by mjmurphy926

You can spot these pearls from a mile away--the rep pearl is centered (vertically) on the bezel insert which is WRONG, gen pearl is supposed to be centered on the whole bezel. This is only a .5mm difference, but you are supposed to be able to see the whole triangle.

On the reps the triangle has "bites" taken out of it by the sides of the pearl (like a gen Rolex sub).

Real:

22095000_omega_c.JPGOmegaPO-1.jpg

Interesting thing is that the 42mm PO never reached the "UPO" level. Therefore the bezel insert must have been taken from the UPO bezel insert.

This explains the nice dial, no Omega logo "feet" issues.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I have to admit, these Omega POs are very very accurate to the genuine article. Somewhat scary if you ask me.

This was added after I posted. To my knowledge, the 42mm PO didn't suffer the logo problem like the UPO, which is the 45mm model. This might be a gen 42mm PO. Stop keeping us in suspense dave! :) The SMP is quite lovely.

@ LR...I'll reveal in a couple of hours....lets see if the US morning crew will chime in...

Yes, I can see your point of view now. The datewheel on the PO is off, and though the lume was brighter than the SMP, it looks touched up.

Thanks for the bigger pics, Dave!

I agree with the majority so far - SMP gen (as far as I know, the rep doesn't have the markings on the bracelet next to the clasp and the PO looks like a rep (pearl is off). But apart from all of that, I just wanted to say that I think Vic's new avatar is GREAT !! :lol:

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the big tell-tale on the SMP. Correct it's a gen but it is the crownguards that are the give away. The shape of the gen can't be properly replicated due to the thicker movement / lower crown position in the rep. The gen has the crown almost touching the underside of the bezel so the case disappears completly at the crown position. In the rep the crown is lower (further away from the bezel) and the case tapers back to meet the crown, thus giving the case a different profile. Modifying the CGs by filing out the proper V shape will result in a flat section of case at the base of the crown so the rep case can't really be modified to replicate the gen. I have a gen black SMP and an 'old school' Bond rep so I can compare the differences.

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the big tell-tale on the SMP. Correct it's a gen but it is the crownguards that are the give away. The shape of the gen can't be properly replicated due to the thicker movement / lower crown position in the rep. The gen has the crown almost touching the underside of the bezel so the case disappears completly at the crown position. In the rep the crown is lower (further away from the bezel) and the case tapers back to meet the crown, thus giving the case a different profile. Modifying the CGs by filing out the proper V shape will result in a flat section of case at the base of the crown so the rep case can't really be modified to replicate the gen. I have a gen black SMP and an 'old school' Bond rep so I can compare the differences.

very nice explanation!

OK....drumroll please...

-SMP: Gen, I purchased it back in 2001/2002

-PO: 42 mm rep, with gen dial, gen hands, gen springbars, gen rubber strap (not shown), and gen pearl.

Everyone says the pearl is too big...that isn't so...its that the rep triangle is too small...so its a wonderful gen pearl on an inaccurate bezel insert.

Thanks for the wonderful responses! Its great to see a forum where its members are so active!