When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Railmaster XXL article by Top Gear's James May

cornerstone

Hopefully this hasn't been posted already, but I had a family member point me in the direction of this Railmaster XXL article by Top Gear's James May.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.j...15/mrmay115.xml

James May: Time for a new watch

Dash-mounted stopwatches, chronograph wristwatches, macho timepieces... do we really need them?

Every time I fly from Heathrow Terminal One I make a point of visiting the Omega Watch Emporium (as I'm sure it must be called) and trying on the Railmaster XXL. I've now done this so often that last time I was there the endlessly patient woman who runs the place was already removing it from the display cabinet as I approached, rather in the way the landlord of my local starts pouring my pint as soon as I walk through the door.

I doubt I'll ever buy it, because it's

He probably went and bought it with the proceeds of the article :rolleyes:

He writes exactly like he speaks -- which is actually a difficult thing to do.

Every sentence is mired with the same whiff of effeminate hesitation, and ponderous logic which make him Clarkson and Hammond's whipping boy.

Ironically, instead of endearing me to him, his rationale for wanting and then not wanting the Railmaster XXL, puts me off it. I find myself more interested in that JLC Reverso he mentions as having been perverted...

"...the only time I've ever used the stopwatch is to check that the stopwatch is still working...."

I love the humour and the comments in that article.

Thanks for posting,

Cheers

Stephane

It's so true though, really, who here actually uses a full stopwatch to such an extent they need it on their watch? My cellular phone can keep timing for weeks and yet - I own two chronograph watches. WHY? It's the complexity I think - the beauty of the invention, and the ingenuity of the human mind to create it and the cleverness of the Chinese to copy it.