When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai 172

vric

Hi,

I'm not a Panerai junky at all. (currently looking to order my first one (about time :bleh:)) While looking at models some of our dealers offer, the 172 always show as one of my favorite.

But something is wrong. I can't find anything about this model (gen) or rep on this forum :g:. I think there is only 1 guy that posted about it here. What's the problem with this model ? I think it look superb with the blue hands.

It seem some dealer have this model but without blue hands (called Tantalium 172... strange)

My choice so far are the 172, 192 or 177 (go figure why I like those, I hated them one year ago :whistling: )

Thanks

Edited by vric

The 172 was super hot when it was released and many of us have one in our collections. I also have the chrono version on a bracelet and it looks amazing.

What has happened is we are not as excited about these older models as we are about potential new ones so they get less discussion here, though they are still highly regarded. Also, this watch is a rep of a very expensive genuine. Many people prefer to wear a watch that is believable on them.

Most dealers do carry the 172 and it does have the blue hands. At certain angles they appear black, but believe me, they are very blue. PM any of our dealers and you will track one down.

Thanks for replies.

I know from certain angle, the hands can look black, but, even if I hate to show dealers watches, This one really look black in every angle. Even the Second hard is white instead of blue.

I could give link of other dealers with the same "strange" hands color, but it's outside the board.

Thanks for replies.

I know from certain angle, the hands can look black, but, even if I hate to show dealers watches, This one really look black in every angle. Even the Second hard is white instead of blue.

I could give link of other dealers with the same "strange" hands color, but it's outside the board.

You are correct, definitely the wrong hands on this one. The Hour and Min hand look black, but the dead giveaway is the white seconds hand.

There have been a few different versions of this watch, some better than others.

The authentic is made from tantalium. A rep in titanium is closest in color, but the weight is way off. There have been some reps that use a brushed SS case, but the color is really off on that.

The hands should of course be blue - that's part of what makes that watch special.

Also, the subdial should be recessed. It's quite obviously wrong if the subdial isn't recessed to anyone who knows that model.

gotta say also that if you don't have a titanium rep, it's worth picking one up. even though it's a big ass panerai, it is not heavy at all which means that when combined with the right strap, it's about as comfortable as it gets.

that all being said, my 192 will not be leaving my collection come hell or high water. and the only reason why i never got the 172 was that i got a 192 at the right price and thought that the chrono jazzed it up a bit.

I have both the Tantaliums and love the blue hands. I have tried on a gen 172 and they are sooo heavy. That is the biggest flaw of the rep.. the weight of the watch.

I think that Precious Time has the 172's for sale with the new Swiss movt and definitely with the blue hands.

Eddy

None of the recent 172's have the correct recessed sub dial or correct case. They have brushed steel which is not even close. At least Titanium has an appearance of Tantalum if not the weight! Precious time's is not good nor is Trusty's. I think the older rep that was pretty close is no longer made now.

I am still unable to figure out why should anyone use Tantalum (formerly Tantalium) rather than Titanium in a watch -- 3-4 x weight, and almost the same resistance (unless you plan to wear it in a nuclear reactor, naturally :) ).

Tanatalum/Tantalium is "gold"-looking titanium.

Gold?

Isn't it matte grey just like Titanium??

Well thanks for all those info guy. Look like I will have some hard time to find a 172 with correct case and hands..

I wanted a Titanium Panerai, so guess I will go with the 177 (and maybe add blue hand, even if some people here wouldn't like that :p)

guess I will go with the 177 (and maybe add blue hand, even if some people here wouldn't like that :p)

No problem... I added gold hands on a 104! :lol:

Eddy hit it dead on. This thing weighs as much as a brick. If the opportunity ever presents itself to examine and hold a genuine 172 in person, I encourage to do so, if only to marvel at it's unbelievable weight!

Also, the bluish color of the Tanatalum's casing is something that you have to see in person...

Gold?

Isn't it matte grey just like Titanium??

Correction: it is blue-grey, and heavy. It is nothing to do with titanium at all!

Info on Tantalium

I am refusing to bastardize it's name to Tantalum for the time being... it's like the Americans always calling Aluminium wrongly as Aluminum, and Sulphur as Sulfur.

Annoying. :g:

@Chronus: thanks for the info, mate!

I also agree on the Tantalium vs Tantalum issue.

Still, to me, high weight in a watch is a defect rather than a merit.

@tino: gorgeous watch! Congrats! Is it a gen, or did you replace the crown?

Btw, great first post after a 3 months silent membership. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Different strokes for different folks.

Some like that heavy chunk of metal on their wrist while others do not.

The choice is yours :thumbsupsmileyanim: