When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Rolex models from the Basel 2008 Show

piratedzeus

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only show off factor to Rolex in the past has been the bling models...

I would have preferred it had stayed with the Midas, Cellini, etc... but accept that demographics change...

I still think of the lack of keeping up with size preference a small issue for a classic, LV as a miscalculation, and the Yacht-Master as a masterfully wonderful Rube Goldberg of a failed step, but these newest of the line look more like a correction of past mis-deeds to me...

When I look at these new models I see pieces of other high end watches carefully adapted to the Rolex style... not Canal Street... (for example, with the heavy crown guards, I see modern Blancpain FF, the crystal and bezel, Omega..) fit and finish? Rolex.

I like them. They are definitely Rolex, the new stylists have come to terms with melding classic Rolex with modern taste, and I hope that I can pull things together here quick enough to be able to by that first year Deep-Sea homage/re-issue, because it will be the new classic.

The only show off factor to Rolex in the past has been the bling models...

I would have preferred it had stayed with the Midas, Cellini, etc... but accept that demographics change...

I still think of the lack of keeping up with size preference a small issue for a classic, LV as a miscalculation, and the Yacht-Master as a masterfully wonderful Rube Goldberg of a failed step, but these newest of the line look more like a correction of past mis-deeds to me...

When I look at these new models I see pieces of other high end watches carefully adapted to the Rolex style... not Canal Street... (for example, with the heavy crown guards, I see modern Blancpain FF, the crystal and bezel, Omega..) fit and finish? Rolex.

I like them. They are definitely Rolex, the new stylists have come to terms with melding classic Rolex with modern taste, and I hope that I can pull things together here quick enough to be able to by that first year Deep-Sea homage/re-issue, because it will be the new classic.

Cellini for me is pure Art... like IWC Da Vinci or Vacheron Malte... but if I like a design of the sub of Rlx... I think that the new course of design is not true ... is a bastard hera of a brand with honest reputation of inoxidable classic style...

DSC02878.jpg

DSC02879.jpg

Minus the marketing hype emblazoned across the rehaut (making an otherwise beefy-looking tool watch look like the centerpiece of a tv infomercial), I rather like the new Deep Sea. Now that I have seen good, clear pics of the entire watch, the Canal Street-inspired CGs actually match the watch's widened lugs, giving the overall impression that this is a hunk of SERIOUS METAL & a watch built with advanced technology to be reckoned with. This combination along with the thicker case profile gives the watch a quite powerful appearance, though I seriously doubt this beast will ever properly fit beneath a dress shirt cuff unless your tailor is blind or you have lost a considerable amount of wrist heft since your shirt was made.

In spite of the (marketing) blemish on its face, I am already reserving a space in 1 of my watch cases for (a good rep of) this watch. However, because of its beastly size, I have a feeling that it will be spending far more time in my case than on my wrist.

After discovering the new Sea Dweller for the first time in this thread and then seeing the photos and movies at rolex.com where the new SDDS / DSSD is heavily and beautifully featured - I've ordered one this afternoon because the more I see it the more I think it is a handsome timepiece that is possibly a feature rich future classic while at the same time being an outstanding piece of engineering.

The price in the UK is

I now know the Daytona has never and will never be replicated accurately so I must buy the gen if I want to enjoy the timepiece I've always wanted. If it wasn't for RWG, I would never have made this decision because I would never have known that the 'fakes' that the 'man in the street' talks about as being 'just the same' do not and will never exist.

Boy, I am sure glad I got mine before they ceased to exist

Image51.jpg

pinkjeans0091.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I like watching the love|hate swing on this thread, traditionalists horrified, others taking the leap of faith. When I saw this Baselworld offer, the first thing I thought was how soon will it be rep'd? Because this watch has all kinds of excellent fantasy potential. Most of the DEEP SEA is quite cool, they have finally tried out a 43mm caseset, how modern. No-one has mentioned the new SS which sounds quite bulletproof when it comes to toughness. The huge, crystal, ring lock and TI backcase system is very cool, nice design and you lose the fact how much tool watch is there, because like all modern Rollers, they tend to go overboard with things like the Billboard/novella textual dial ... and why do dive watches require a CALENDAR date complication? Do people really question the DOM on what long saturation dives? This watch would be so cool with a sterilised, or concise dial face, NoDate configuration; a step back to non-gold trimmed indexes with MAXI-dots and bars (what better way to promote the new lumey-blu?) ... maybe there is hope that a future COMEX version will be the real winner, an industrial DEEP SEA and save for that, like I said, where's the rep? We can create our own.

It would have been nice to see something of the movement touted, after all that is 90% of a watch anyway, but I suspect most of the DEEP SEA is the new package and nothing Horologically signifgant has occured. Just the ability to drop it in the deep end of the pool and the bragging rights that come with modern watches which are status first, application second.

CONS: Too much text! It's not so much a dial as it's a grocery list, and the ring lock really didn't need the text either, but they could have pleased at least 50% of the naysayers by simply failing to fill the characters with black - then it would be easier to ignore. I don't see an issue with the CGs as that is a 43mm case, and quite tall, put skinny CGs on it and they'd look weird and symetrically wrong. Price; (big surprise) not really, again - how soon can this be rep'd is a valid request.

PROS: The CERAMIC bezel is hot as is the large format case it offsets. The dual steel|TI backcase is cool looking, (the only issue there is any time you mix metals and add saltwater you get a formula for electrolysis) The micro adust bracelet design looks very practical.

• 2 weeks later...